Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Update: Alec Baldwin case dismissed

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Jan 19, 2023.

1. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The prosecutor needs to worry about surviving a motion for judgment of acquittal at the close of its case.

2. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    That is why they were all suppose to inspect the gun and part of that is to empty the rounds out and look at them. No one should hold a gun that could not tell a blank from live ammo. THe gun was loaded with live ammo or at least one of them was.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I know nothing of film rules but why would you need an armorer if everyone knew and followed the rules?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    In post #167, I posted a link that says one of the reasons the prosecutors initially decided not to charge Baldwin was because of a report that found the gun had been modified and could be fired without pulling the trigger ... they then changed their minds and charged him anyway ... so it's not even clear that he is lying. Baldwin says he pulled the hammer back and let go and that caused it to shoot. But, it's also said that during FBI testing, they were unable to make the gun fire without pulling the trigger initially, but that internal gun parts fractured during testing and did cause the gun to fire without pulling the trigger ... So, kind of mixed bag on that.

Potential modifications to the firing mechanism of the gun prompted dismissal of charges against Baldwin, source tells CNN | CNN

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Watch the trial. You'll be learning about standard practices in the movie industry as opposed to some standard you just invented. You also ignored the possibility of dummy rounds which, by their very nature, are intended to look like live rounds. Unfortunately, there is no uniform way to prepare dummy rounds to aid in their identification. That, of course, is part of the reason you have on armorer on set.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    More problems for the prosecution.

7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It’s kind of like asking “why have an accountant if everyone knows and follows the rules”.

First off, not everyone actually knows or follows the rules. Seems pretty obvious you’d want somebody to be “in charge” of the prop guns, have custody over them, secure them, inspect them, make sure they never see live ammo, etc. This incident shows why that requirement and job role exists (particularly in productions that involve a lot of guns). Shows what happens when a supposed professional drops the ball or is incompetent. My understanding is this was a bit of a nepotism hire. If there are issues with her credentials or her incompetence was reported that is the biggest thing that could be used against Baldwin, as he was one of the people (producers) who hired her. If he was “just” the actor, trusting a supposed professional, then prosecuting him would be ridiculous. His involvement in hiring the armorer is what opened the door to prosecution.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. GolphinGator

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    I am not going to watch the trial. Are you telling me the people using the gun can't tell the difference in live rounds and dummy rounds on a set they are shooting guns at people then there should be. Only the Anorer can? I call BS. That would be insane. Maybe some sets are different that others but everyone should know how both are marked. In any case a blank would be easy enough to tell from a dummy round or a live round as they don't have a bullet. Only a scene where the ammo was going to be shown being dumped from the revolver would there be a need for a dummy round.

9. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I disagree that actors should have to know how to do safety inspections and prop preparation better than the backstage "professionals" hired specifically to do those jobs. I mean, this armorer had one job ... keep the guns secure and safe for a movie set. She fudged up royally. Baldwin should be held liable for hiring an unqualified person, if that's the case, but making this into a manslaughter case ... I just don't see it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    The correct analysis. On a movie set you will have people with all levels of experience with firearms, many with none. One of the main functions of the armorer is to ensure the weapons are safe as it is impossible to properly train everyone.

Then you have @Gatorrick22 suggesting that it should be a crime on a movie set to point a firearm at someone and pull the trigger. That would make for some very boring war movies...every battle would wind up in a tie.

"Mike Tristano has supervised firearms on film sets for more than 30 years, keeping a close eye on the guns used during the filming of “The Purge,” “Harsh Times” and hundreds of other movies.

When it comes to guns and ammunition on sets, Tristano said, “the buck always stops” with the armorer, the licensed professional — sometimes credited as a “weapons master” — tasked with making sure movie firearms are safe and secure on set."

"The armorer is responsible for all firearms and blank ammunition on set, and weapons should always be under the tight chain-of-custody of that person,” said Larry Zanoff, an armorer who worked on Quentin Tarantino’s “Django Unchained” and several Marvel movies. “If there is an actual armorer on set … they are responsible for all aspects,” Zanoff added. “They are the crew member that’s ultimately responsible.”

"But to Kevin Williams, the prop shop supervisor at the UCLA School of Theater, Film & Television, the fact remains that an armorer needs to serve as the “check and balance for ensuring that weapons are safe to fire.”

After ‘Rust’ shooting, industry veterans say ‘buck stops’ with armorers on movie sets

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Wow, you are completely missing the points. Live rounds had no business being on that movie set...full stop. That is the armorer's responsibility. The ONLY exception would be for security guards. Dummy rounds are used if the movie is going to show the gun being loaded, unloaded or close-ups of the revolver. There is no standard for marking dummy rounds. Some have BBs in them so they rattle if shaken, some have the primer completely removed, some have an indent on the primer and some have no difference....it depends on who prepares them.

12. GolphinGator

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    I am not missing the point at all. I realize live rounds have no place on set.

13. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    BANG BANG ! I got you

No you didn’t- you missed me by a mile.

worked when we were 10 and in both cops and robbers and cowboys and Indians. I was always the cowboy

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Makes sense, with that loaded gun he could have possibly killed the actor due to be involved in the next gunfight instead.

15. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    It is simply incomprehensible the armorer allowed live rounds to be on the set. I don't understand how that could happen.

16. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Was a bunch of the cast out shooting...after shooting? Set looked to be in the middle of nowhere.

17. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Bonanza Creek Ranch, Santa Fe, New Mexico. Cowboys and Aliens was filmed very near there.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  18. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
  19. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    If you as an actor were handed a gun during a rehearsal for a scene.......would you aim it at your daughter without first ensuring it yourself that it didn't contain live rounds?

Would you ever aim a gun at your daughter period. Even on a movie set?

20. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I feel like that question has been rehashed a dozen times. There are professionals on the set, and their one job is to prepare the prop weapons to be safe for the actors to use … it’s 100% that person’s fault, IMO, from a criminal standpoint. Baldwin can and should be sued civilly for hiring an incompetent person, though.

• Winner Winner x 1