Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

University of Florida President Ben Sasse Announces Resignation

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Jul 18, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
  2. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    You've misinterpreted my post. An athletics program that helps keep interest from alumni and helps generates interest in the University from industry, etc. benefits both the academic AND athletics side. I was certainly not suggesting that donations to Athletics were greater that that of the academic side, or should be in any kind of competition at all.

3. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

The honors program at UF is the only thing that may approach the Ivy schools. The preparation required for these schools means classes can be far more in-depth in class sizes and tutorials that dictate not only mastery but deeper understanding. There are exceptions for legacy students, but the level of education is exceptional. Class experience is simply different. As an alumnus, for many years I reviewed applications and made recommendations for admissions to Yale.
    Many UF students would do well there, but the educational experience is not the same.

4. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007

Athletics is the key for notoriety and interest from alumni.

The landscape of academics has shifted. Outside of a few niche programs there isn’t much difference between hiring from an Ivy, state school or a small school. The personalities may be different but success of the candidate is just as uncertain. Ivys have the hiring preference due to alums hiring alums. It’s a network and sales thing.

Obviously we need to continue to invest and raise standards academically.

But a random hiring manager in Arizona will know a school far more due to its athletics than its relative academic rank.

I hire people in finance. For me there are a few schools that stand at the top, then probably 150 that are basically the same, then the question marks. But the actual major matters more in many cases. And it only matters for entry entry level. Once you have a few years of experience you could have went to any school

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I saw the movie and it changed the way I think about ants.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I used to work at UF and went to a presentation by the foundation where pointed out something crazy like +75% of all UF grads were born after 1980. So as those people start to age and potentially leave inheritances they expect the endowments will start growing quite a bit more and we’re already in the top 10 or close of public universities

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 GC Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    Did you miss the part about a brain aneurysm and multiple strokes?

The seizures are just one manifestation of what must be profound brain dysfunction.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Ivy League colleges are not what they once were. Woke ideology and legacy admissions in the past few years have damaged their academic reputation. They infrequently win any national college competitions. Most go on to a grad school, so not a good place to hire undergrads. Work ethic for some not there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Nobody wants to work with anybody that wants to throw their freaking weight around

10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    So which
    So which is it is it? Don’t really care for the bureaucracy of crap, but I do feel bad for his wife

11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t care how he treats athletics as long as he stays out of the way of doing well and athletics.

12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Imagine leaving everything you earned in your life to a college. Different worlds, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t think many people will leave their whole estate to the school. For most, it’s maybe 10 percent or some other small percentage. Some give a bunch more. Many give nothing.
    But when you figure the net worth of the average UF alum later in life, and how many of us there are, there’s potentially a whole boatload of money out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 GC Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    ?

What do mean "which is it?"

The recent declines are doubtless sequelae of the earlier brain injuries. It is not an either or, it is all one thing, just getting worse.

16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Reading some of the post before that, is it just his wife’s health or the suggestion that he’s difficult to deal with and there is issues on the job

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I totally get it but I think I’ll leave what little I have to my children. They will need it a lot more than a school with hundreds of millions of dollars or billions of dollars.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Nice use of the word sequelae :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 GC Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    Well, those other stories are unsubstantiated. Unlike his wife's significant health issues. I'm going to go with the one that at least has some basis in fact.

Aside from that "difficult to deal with" absent any context is less than meaningless. Spurrier could be difficult to work with, especially if you thought it was ok to do things other than his way.

20. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 GC Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    Proof that I did learn something in the years at UF!

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.