Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

University of Florida concrete canoe team wins fourth national title

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Jun 25, 2024.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    All we do is win!

UF concrete canoe team wins ASCE nationals
    The University of Florida’s concrete canoe team has claimed its fourth national title.

The 12-member team and its Springseeker concrete canoe placed first overall Saturday at the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Student Engineering Championships in Utah. UF led the top five, followed by Universite Laval (Quebec), California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo, Virginia Tech and Western Kentucky University.

UF’s concrete canoe team also won ASCE’s virtual competition nationals in 2021 with Polligator. UF’s canoe Foreverglades took top honors in 2015, while the Tom Petty-themed Free Floatin’ won the title in 2019.

The championship comes several weeks after UF’s Eckhoff Steel Bridge team made history by claiming its fourth consecutive title at Louisiana Tech University. The civil engineering teams (concrete canoe and steel bridge) share space in The Pit, a large industrial space in Weil Hall. The championship canoes Foreverglades and Free Floatin’ hang from The Pit’s ceiling.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Spurffel

Spurffel All American

Apr 9, 2007
    Love this stuff! Florida engineering has an excellent FSAE race team as well. history.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  3. gatormets96

gatormets96 VIP Member

Jul 16, 2023
    Congrats!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I must admit I was a little skeptical by the title. My first question about concrete canoes was if it was started by the mobsters and did the rowers have to wear concrete galoshes? Sad joke, I get it but do they really have sponsors for this like Ready-Mix?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. deathroll

deathroll GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Its Great To Be a Florida Gator!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Where does this put us in the Directors Cup?
    jk lol!

Interesting:
    I remember from my college days, the engineering guys were the ones I rarely saw because they were in labs or studying so much. Only the architecture (ARCHITORTURE) guys had it worse, we never saw them!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 4
  7. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Mixed feelings. My son was on CU Boulder’s CC team. He just graduated so I don’t think he did much this past year

8. TheOriginalTexGator

TheOriginalTexGator GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    I was the UF Steel Bridge captain in 94. One of my friends was the CC captain. I am glad to see both teams doing well.

Go Gators!

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I remember when the electrical engineering program was regularly in the top5 of the autonomous submarine competitions with MIT and Carnegie Mellon, etc.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

Go Gators! Whatever floats your boat!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

When I was in Mechanical Engineering we developed, built, and tested a hybrid Diesel/electric city bus - it was in that low row of garages right along North-South Drive between the ME building and Weil Hall. Quite forward-thinking given the direction in today’s automotive industry

• Like Like x 4
  12. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    HEY HEY HEY, We were around. You just had to be wandering around campus at 2 am. We were the ones turning the bridge from FAC to the art library into a slip 'n slide in the middle of the night.

• Like Like x 3
  13. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I still believe that diesel-electric is where the auto industry should be focused.

Once you take the ridiculous “zero emissions” mandates out of the equation, diesel electric provides the best overall balance of low emissions providing adequate power for all applications.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Absolutely. The entire “zero emissions “ thing is a joke unless you factor in the emissions from the utilities providing the electricity to charge all the electric cars out there.

In fact, if you use the Diesel engine to simply charge the batteries, you can tune the air/fuel ratio for peak efficiency at one optimum speed, and drive emissions way down. Locomotives have been doing that for decades.

Politics always gets in the way of truth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    It sure does. Often the answers to our problems are right in front of us, but the politics won’t let us look at it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Think how much better off we would be if engineers ran this country instead of lawyers

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. savgator1956

savgator1956 Sophomore

Nov 18, 2017
    Congratulations team. Well done. The down side is if Stanford doesn't have a team, it doesn't count in the Director's Cup.

18. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Who would have ever thought they make canoes out of concrete? I guess the method of choice for the mob in using concrete boots to dispose of bodies needs to be re-examined.

20. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Why do they call you Booger?