Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Unintended Consequences - greed, agents, NIL, and transfer portal is destroying the best game ever

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ofmgator12, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    And we're about to get fleeced again to pay for the legal fees for their court action against the ACC to get out of a contract they willingly signed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I agree with the sentiment somewhat but that is the system they bought into so, just like anything else, buyer beware. If they don't like it, don't support it financially.

3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Couldn’t agree more

4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s looking to me like hitting the portal for a bunch of mercenaries is a little different than what Georgia had

5. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    And not only that, what if half as u made it into the playoffs? Would all those players have still sat? If you say no, they would have played, then there is something wrong with their character. Why is one game more important to you than the other game. Either you love playing the sport or you don't and are doing it for other reasons.

6. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    What if for the portal it doesn't open until after spring practices and is open for a couple months. The problem with the schedule is it is all tied to getting enrolled in classes so that puts pressure on the window. If there is only one window, and it happens after spring practice, then a player will know where they are on the depth chart and if they want to try their luck somewhere else, then they can enroll in summer classes at the new school or wait until fall.
    That would help coaches know if they need to find someone at that position for the fall and should help the portal opt outs for bowl games. Not going to change the NFL opt outs though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    They should do away with early signing day as well. All HS recruits sign in the spring and report summer A.

This way every football scholarship can run for a year from summer A to the end of spring. With the TP being after spring ball.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GatorBowl1969

GatorBowl1969 Senior

Jul 4, 2011
    Of course your would single out AMERICAN society. Educate yourself on the rest of the planet, DA. We are not alone.

9. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    It’s the only society on the planet that worships college football. Keep up, DA.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I'm not sure about this. Halfass U's athletic department is now a separate legal entity. They copied our UAA. This should be--legally speaking-- on their dime, not the University's, not the State of Florida's.

Now, given how slimy the Holes and Half Ass U are, who knows?

But, I don't think the state will pick up the tab. Given the growth in Florida, many other up and coming universities will notice with keen interest if they do. Politicians around the state where other universities are, won't be too supportive of this.

11. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    :emoji_speaking_head::emoji_clap:

12. burtjeffson

burtjeffson Freshman

Jan 11, 2024
    "fan" is derived from the word "fanatic" - and the fact that young people don't much care for any sports is also indicative, I think that we are part of a media bubble. I watched SportsCenter religiously as a middle schooler with Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann (and Carig Kilborn, he was my favorite) and rode the Spurrier years to being a lifelong fanatic. media is too fractured now for that kind of thing to happen in the same numbers. we grew up with basic cable, now kids have a million options and multiple algorithms specifically tailored for them.

I also think that you are correct about the media environment being decisive - but it also could be that we have been spoiled by our own successes. an original Bull Gator didn't have much to cheer about, tbh.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    So is the consensus here that the penalties levied on FSU are inconsequential or are they significant?

14. gatornee

gatornee Sophomore

Apr 9, 2007
    FLORIDA: SCANDAL WITHOUT REPENTENCE

What’s going on now at UGA, FSU, Michigan makes 1984 look lame. However the punishment, led by key SEC schools including UGA, set UF back years

15. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Comes down to personal priorities. Some prioritize friends, family, relationships. Others it's money, money, money. I could probably get a job that pays more, but I like the people I work with and the freedom I have. At the same time I have had co-workers that stopped by for 6 months to add a line to their resume. If wealth is the measuring stick, those who bounce from place to place are more successful, not less.

This only gets fixed now by contracts directly tied to the schools.

16. GatorBowl1969

GatorBowl1969 Senior

Jul 4, 2011
    What other society HAS college football? Good god, man.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Guy is just itching for an argument. Find someone else.

18. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    You have authority for this??

Their athletic department is separate from the University for several years now, as is ours.

I don't see any obligation on the state to pick up the tab.

19. GatorBowl1969

GatorBowl1969 Senior

Jul 4, 2011
    If I were seeking an argument with a worthy opponent, I most certainly would not have chosen you.

20. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Never argue with one of the THFSG gang. LOL.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1