Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Unintended Consequences - greed, agents, NIL, and transfer portal is destroying the best game ever

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ofmgator12, Dec 31, 2023.

1. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Not the best example. DJU left Clemson because Dabo didn't know what to do with him and he floundered for 3 yrs but still won. He went to Oregon St and prospered and graduated under Smith than Smith took another job.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I know, the poor players can do no wrong and need more gimmes to justify sacrificing themselves in a game they hate playing and only do it for our entertainment

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I don't agree with most of your takes on this subject but yes, McCord was trashed by OSU fans and shopped around at the end of the year. I'd agree more if there were more contractual obligations because the power has shifted from the schools having too much power to the players but yeah, can't use fans and loyalty as an excuse when they will turn on a qb that won 11 games...

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    You really do have to feel sorry for them. I mean, it must be absolutely miserable to go to college on someone else's dime, hang out with your friends surrounded by hot coeds, and get money on the side! Oh the horrors!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    And the poor coaches. Only care about players academics, health, and welfare and barely getting 10s of millions for being fired. Or athletic directors having to repeatedly fire the bad coaches they hired and just getting paid millions?

Seriously, Players are greedily going after the best deal. Same as coaches, ADs (Stricklin portaled from msu), and schools (we all love noon September games in the swamp for TV, right).

I’d rather see everyone criticize the whole complete system as this is only the players being selfish like the leaders have.

Loser here is average fans who loved football that represented colleges. Could say nil paying fans are losers (pay players like nfl but get no ownership/revenue??), but they choose to throw money at this hobby. Can’t complain if you choose to play that game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. volungator

volungator All American

Agreed, but right now we're talking about the job of performing college football. I try not to say "play" or "game" anymore

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Dude, even your screen name screams out you can't make a committment to one team. Where's your loyalty?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Signing so many out of State kids increases probability of turnover. Even before NIL, look at kids from California that transferred back. We need to get back to signing and developing Florida kids that grew up with these State rivalries that mean something and that they care about. Need some that bleed orange and blue. Fine with a few 5 stars like Lagway and with taking out of staters in the portal. Just don’t want over half our signing classes to be from outside Florida

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. theycallmecoach

theycallmecoach All American

Sep 25, 2017
    An interesting question.

Most of these transfers seem to be playing time oriented rather than dissatisfaction with the school or the team IMHO.

10. theycallmecoach

Sep 25, 2017
    I say Florida should usurp the rest of the US!

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. theycallmecoach

Sep 25, 2017
    Tough love!

12. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Agree with everything except “unintended”. Everything going on now was entirely predictable. I am a little surprised that the bag of gold turned to a bag of shit so quickly. I thought it would take another year or two.

Soon ESPN will get hit very, very hard with bad ratings on bowl games. The only one I haven’t turned off was FSU-GA. Never thought I would enjoy watching Georgia kick someone’s ass so much

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. ofmgator12

ofmgator12 Senior

Jul 23, 2022
    To UF24ou14. I'm anything but a troll ass#%$.I'm a 65Gator grad who has watched more Gator football than before you were born. The facts are that college football is on the ropes but too many guys like you don't realize it. If players don't like the game ...don't play. Let them go out and work like the rest of us. I wouldn't want to have to depend on you especially in a fox hole.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Just stop it with your foxhole, this isn't war it's a game/sport. No one's life is on the line.
    I know this if I was in a foxhole with you I probably end up shooting you myself...:eek::D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. malscott

malscott GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Opinion Piece

And so I digress...

The system reeks of the old days when entitled kids (made worse by poor regulation) would all get flown around the country on private jets and milk the system for all it was worth. Now enter the NIL epoc, quite possibly even worse. The system is mired in 18 year old kids entitlement, greed, agents, questionable loyalty, and opportunistic vision. A complete cluster fook. Kids opting out. Coaches loyalties are skewed, ridonkulous contracts.

The universities are like the government, a huge bureaucratic *&&r$%in logjam. NCAA is quite possibly worse than the government and the Universities. Large men (compared the the women) wearing ladies clothing competing in female sports and disallowing the females to have their glory after being dedicated to their sport since childhood? Really? Be fair, create a new division. Then there's the NCAA not stepping in to do anything out of fear of hurting someone's feelings and getting sued.

The human race is in a steep decline. If I didn't know better, I'd say aliens inherited the earth long ago, seeded it's demise, and are patiently watching the implosion.

There are a handful of teams that will benefit greatly, the rest, not so much. Until the people rush the monsters mansion with the torches lighted, no significant change will be ushered in.

Yes, the lunatics are running the asylum.

Jump on the trike and ride out across the dystopian landscape with an ancient Gator Helmet on, gazing at the crumbling ruins in the distance. It's like the last of us...or Mad Max.

On that inspiring note and uplifting spewage of opinion...may the games begin. Take no prisoners. Survival is the name of the game, "We shall never surrender, "whatever the cost may be." Cue: Supertramp-Asylum. Hendrix-All along the Watchtower. CSNY-Wooden Ships, REM-Orange Crush, Petty-Won't back Down.

I don't have to like what I'm seeing, but I do know I have to be part of the solution.

DJ, Mertz, Graham, LJ, and a dedicated handful of kick-ass others will turn this around. Because they said they will...some peoples words actually still mean something. They will lead.

Good luck to those who have left. And may those who have chosen to be Gators create the most memorable experience they can.

Go Gators.:)

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  16. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    American society is fueled by greed, can’t be surprised when college football follows suit

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Props for not starting another thread for the attention.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. volungator

volungator All American

I personally deposited blood, sweat, and tears on both campuses. Thankfully the experiences resulted in numerous graduate degrees. Not to mention that I'm a Conch. I chose to not raise my kids in Key West. Those who know me, knows I'm overwhelmingly Gator. I've never cheered for UT when the opponent was UF.

• Like Like x 1
  19. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    I started going to Gators games in 1961 back when they had faculty and staff tickets. Times have changed. Coaches didn't make fortunes in the sixties like they do today. College sports weren't the big businesses they are today. A scholarship isn't enough anymore now that schools are making tons of money, and people like you think that the guys actually doing the bleeding, sweating, and working to entertain people like you should be satisfied with it. As far as a foxhole, do you think your attitude towards the players would make them feel like you'd make any sacrifices in their behalves? Your attitude is the same as the military leaders from the past that would just send waves and waves of soldiers into a fight regardless of the results because they thought they were superior to them and considered them cannon fodder.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  20. volungator

volungator All American

You're wrong but truth be known IDGAF what you think.