Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UK scouting report from friendly rival

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by dailydoublecat, Sep 24, 2023.

1. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I was surprised we weren't ready at Utah. But I think it was growing pains. This team is different. I see no point in comparing it to last year. The defense is night and day. Give Mertz time and some holes for the RBs and we will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  2. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    It's the OL, the OL and then the OL for both teams.

I probably should have qualifies my previous post that also Wilson at receiver has to play and get 10 touches and Mazzcua at OL has to be ready to go (though I like his backup, who realistically should get more snaps as the season progresses regardless).

• Like Like x 1
  3. kycat270

kycat270 Freshman

Sep 25, 2023
    You know I get in argument with other Kentucky fans about Mertz. When we were recruiting him I was a fan. I think given time and the right coaching he has a very high ceiling. I def respect Mertz ability.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Best of luck to you and your team. It is going to be a fun game for sure.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    A T-Shirt gimmick with the fans?? That does it, we're toast! Might as well count the loss.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Relax. As. Long as they're not blue we'll make it through somehow.

7. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    If there actually is anyone here who has forgotten UK's recent prowess in beating UF, or our struggles on the road for the last few years, you and others have performed a great service by reminding us - again and again and again. The bottom line, however, is that that was then, and this is now. It's time to move on to 2023. IMO, UK is a pretty decent team (we're a little better I think), and we will have to play reasonably well to beat them. But there is no reason on God's Green Earth to go into Lexington fretting about what we did or didn't do in the past. Again, that's ancient history and getting tangled up in habitual handwringing and fearful ruminations based on problematic performances by players and coaches who are no longer around loses its novelty after a while. And yes, if we go into that game full of fear and jitters and "what ifs," we will deserve the butt whipping they'll hand us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. dailydoublecat

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    I hate the tshirt gimmick junk as well.

9. stabnburn23

stabnburn23 GC Legend

Mar 29, 2022
    You and the other UK dude in here have crazy ideas of what "good" looks like lol. Levis last year against UF was 13/24 for barely 200 yards with a TD and a pick. Against one of the worst defenses in the country. And 55 of that was a 50/50 ball in the end zone.

I dunno why Kentucky fans have Levis built up in their head so much, but that discrepancy is part of the reason I don't think Leary is gonna be effective. They might hit an occasional long ball against poor coverage, but less than 60% completion is simply bad

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
  10. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    It's like bringing gum in the 5th grade. If you didn't bring enough for everyone to have a piece.....

11. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    To the Kentucky fans on this board, do you ever get tired of your out of conference schedule? You guys are a good enough team where you don’t have to play FCS and MAC opponents every single year. I’m shocked you guys don’t do more home and home with P5’s. I’m even more surprised you season ticket holders don’t demand it.

In looking at your future schedules, Louisville still remains the only P5 through 2028.

12. dailydoublecat

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    The reason we put Levis on a pedestal is because of who we have had in the past-----when you have someone who is decent you think hes a star. Remember for years we didnt have anyone who could throw the ball...lol.

Leary must be effective for us to have a chance and a decent season. I think he will be.

13. dailydoublecat

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    I like our schedule as the SEC is too damn difficult. The last thing I want is another tough game. We are usually a MASH unit by the end of conference play. I live in Ocala so I can't speak to ticket holders. I just know the fans are happy to be competitive and to have something to do before basketball starts.

14. stabnburn23

stabnburn23 GC Legend

Mar 29, 2022
    After the players we've rolled out aside from Trask since Tebow, I get it lol

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. GatorDuck

GatorDuck All American

Apr 11, 2007
    C'mon, now... I just called my 9mo old grandson The Pillsbury Throwboy the other day on account of him being so beefy. That's respect. Though I suppose it has been awhile since those days...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. dailydoublecat

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Yes that was 20 years ago, and died 4 years ago in July.

17. GatorDuck

GatorDuck All American

Apr 11, 2007
    Wow. Didn't realize it'd been 20 years. Was sad to hear of his passing. Really enjoyed watching him sling it around...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. kycat270

kycat270 Freshman

Sep 25, 2023
    I think a lot of it is due to the Louisville game being at the end of the year now.

Used to we'd kickoff with Louisville on Labor Day and it'd be one of the featured games of the weekend. Then we'd sneak in the 3 NC opponents in the SEC schedule. Most people did not notice the scheduling since we usually were playing a good UofL squad early. Because we don't play them until Thanksgiving, our weak games make up the early portion of the schedule and we don't get into the meat of the schedule until late when most people have forgotten about us. This year with 3 cupcakes and Vandy to start out 4-0, it makes it look bad.

Personally I would rather add Indiana on Labor Day weekend, but I'll make the point like this....getting those 3 wins is more important to us than most programs. We don't bring in a lot of revenue. We're usually the lesser talented team in 7 of our 8 SEC games by recruiting rankings. So getting those 3 wins and then only needing 3 more to get to a bowl game is so big for our program. Bowl games do matter for extra practices and the better record does boost fan morale and attendance. Those 3 guaranteed home games are huge...like last year we had 8 home games and this year 7. Our program really isn't fighting for national titles per say, getting to bowls and maximizing revenue is the goal. And staying healthy and not getting beat down. It's also not that different than Georgia & Alabama do...we play 1 P5 Non-conference team in Louisville (who most years are bowl eligible and have been ranked) and 3 cupcakes.

But looking at the rest of the season...

-Ranked Florida
    -AT #1 Georgia
    -Ranked Missouri
    -Ranked Tennessee
    -AT Mississippi State (where we haven't won since 2008)
    -Ranked Alabama
    -At South Carolina
    -At Louisville who is currently 4-0

I mean yes the first 4 games were bad, but on paper this is a pretty stout 8 games going forward.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Doesn't help us when they are allowed to tackle low and late like they did last year without penalty

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. RayGator

RayGator Administrator Emeritus

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    And remember, we use GATOR ORANGE!

NOT Tennessee ORANGE. . :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1