Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UF drops from #1 public university to #34

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Tolbert1906, Sep 9, 2024.

1. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    How exactly do you suppose UF "...remove[d] student engagement and networking opportunities"?

And how exactly do you suppose UF's administration "....actively s[ought] to attack minority populations "?

I'm calling bullshit, but the floor is yours.

State your case, sir.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    UF's admissions were more stringent and competitive this year than ever before.

Nothing changed with UF--except that we dared stand with the Jews in the wake of last October 7 Hamas attack, while the rest of the learned academia threw in with Hamas, albeit camouflaged behind thr faux vail of "Palestinians".

...and that I'm afraid, IS political.

C'est la vie.

We know who we are, and so does Florida.

NB: where do ALL the smart, educated parents in this state want their kids to go?

....where do you think they'll want them to go next year?

THAT is the real ranking.

...not New York rags that have sold out any semblance of journalistic integrity for poiliticl agenda pushing and propaganda peddling, decades ago.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Yeah, this really does call these rankings into question. How could there be that much variance from one year to the next.

4. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Shhh. Don't tell that to the hysterical ninnies! AKA MAGA Morons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Look not a MAGA here but the fact is Murdoch's company owns the WSJ and he is heavily involved in politics and has been on both sides. The WSJ has always had political bias it just depends on which side Murdoch is taking since he has supported Hillary, Barack, and even Republicans. Too many politics in our corrupted media so whatever they print usually has an agenda.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

This may be the saddest thread I have read on Gatorcountry.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Cool dude. Wokeism is the greatest threat of our times!

And, no, they never supported Obama over their boy Romney (who, IMO, would have been a great POTUS).

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    To be fair, for what the universities are charging for kids to go to UF, and really any major college these days the universities should cater a bit toward the person for whom the whole universities were built for to begin with.... the students. At this point it's like any regular business, with out the money from the customers (students) for tuition, the business (university) will go broke. Why not allow them a real voice?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2017
    STUDENT ENGAGEMENT | UF Student Engagement
    UF Student Involvement page has dead links for “Campus Engagement” and “Community and Belonging.”

UGA
    UGA trumpets having over 800 student organizations.

- HornsLink
    Texas has over 1,100 student organizations.

We will lose top tier students because other than fraternity life, we offer nothing more than classes. I was a Dean’s list student and honor organization participant. As a UF graduate, it’s embarrassing. If I were again a prospect, I’d look at out of state schools first. It isn’t just a UF issue, it hit every Florida public university.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    But now we can’t sell Top 5 public school anymore? Or do we just need to reference different publications?

11. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    With the selectivity rate, why should UF feel the need to sell anything? We weren't #1 last year and we aren't #34 this year. It's all the opinion of one source...

12. GatorTheo

GatorTheo Junior

Jun 22, 2007
    You're right that it's just a subjective rating to generate clicks but, if WSJ wants to pass themselves off as a legitimate source of college rankings, they need to explain the sudden nosedive of a generally highly ranked university.

13. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    This thread reminds me why I love everything about college football besides the “college” part.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Well Napier (and Mullen before him) is/was selling UF as a top tier public university.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. grantgator

grantgator Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Orlando
    Pretty sure I saw that Forbes just ranked us the #4 public school, so back in the Top 5 again.
    US News and World Report comes out next week I believe.
    If memory serves me we dropped from tied for 5th to 6th last year, hardly a tumble.
    I have no idea how WSJ had us #1 last year. Clearly their metrics are a bit questionable just based on the huge swings from one year to the next, and not just UF.

Forbes America's Top Colleges List 2025 - Best US Universities Ranked
    #4 public, #26 overall

16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Forbes a week or 2 ago had us ad the #4 public.
    Niche has us at #6
    College advisor has us #5
    College Vine has us #7
    Prepscholar has us #10
    Gradright has us at #8

USNWR has us at 6, their annual rankings come out in about 2 weeks. If we are hit with this last year’s drama it will be in that ranking, since peer reputation is a large component.

But for now, this ranking is a massive outlier, and it’s in their methodology which is well meaning and data based, but seriously flawed. I could write a long diatribe on it, but it’s not worth the effort. Basically 1/3 of your score is how your grads compare with their peer group at other similar schools in earnings, where we were average. So a school like FIU with a lower peer group that excels in that cohort gets a higher score, despite a UF grad making significantly more than an FIU one for example. I hope they fix that for next year, but if you look at who they ranked high it’s clear that skewed their results wildly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. g8tr82

g8tr82 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Nokomis, Fl
    Tuition does not foot the bill for th
    The State writes a huge check to each university every year. Tuition does not pay for everything If you are curious the details are on the interweb

18. g8trdoc

g8trdoc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They have done this in the dental school.

19. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Like football players care...

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    These safe spaces have made everybody a bunch of pansies