Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Twitter Updates 2024

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jan 1, 2023.

1. crl

crl GC Legend

Nov 8, 2008
    Man, it's hard to believe we've had 3 straight losing seasons with a 4th more than likely coming. My how things can change so much in just 15 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    That part. Think about it....we DO NOT have a recruiting problem (besides on the OL imo). Napier and co showed this past cycle that UF can recruit with anyone ...we just have a WINNING problem. Even rival fan bases were right in saying....that our class will fall apart as the season goes on...and they were right....because we didn't WIN as the season went on.

Remember...we didn't have ANY decommits (besides Jerrick Gibson in 2022 and Bowens in June of last year) until NOVEMBER of last year. Everyone was locked in until it was evident that the wheels on the field were falling apart. Beat Arky and/or Missouri and we maintain our top 5 class. I'm 1000000% sure of that.

Since we didn't do that, we're going to struggle to recruit/land ELITE 2025 kids OUT OF THE GATE until we prove it on the field. We'll get our fair share of commits before the season starts, but you can bet your last dollar we're not going into the season like last season ranked in the top 5 in recruiting. We're unfortunately in prove it on the field mode this season

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    The problem is… I don’t see us winning a lot more games in 2024

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  4. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Other than the NIL money, which is also a factor, this is so spot on. This is why the bump class for a coach to really have a chance to rebuild a program MUST be special. Napier's was not, and now the window for turning things around is narrowing and the portal recruiting that might make it possible is pretty hum-drum. Fans are becoming impatient and we are staring down the barrel of a historically difficult schedule. To pull this thing out of a nosedive and get it back on the upswing is going to take a ton of extremely hard work and not just a little luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Winning leads to recruiting leads to more winning? What an outlandish theory.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    a coach/program needs more than just winning to recruit. See example Mullen, Dan.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    And it takes more than bread to make a sandwich.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Just hoping for 6 to 7 W's, a bowl invite, and of course improvement in literally every area, but especially defense and special teams.
    Of course I am hoping to see DJ, especially later in the year, showing what he brings to the table.

• Like Like x 1
  10. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    15 years? 4 years ago we had yet another winning record and almost beat Bama in the SEC title game while fsu was in the midst of a streak of losing seasons with one foot in the grave. We had our concerns but never would have guessed the script would flip 180°

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. stabnburn23

stabnburn23 GC Legend

Mar 29, 2022
    Yep. Then Mac's stud players left, Mullen completely stopped trying, and here we are.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Just my opinion, you're free to share yours if you want to

13. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Shhh you'll upset the Mullen homers.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    That's true....unfortunately a lot of our excitement that season went down the field along with the shoe that got tossed.

UF has been consistently behind the curve in Football since the 12 year period after some genius hired another genius after the 1989 season. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have changed and we appear to have been caught with our pants down with the NIL wave as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. stabnburn23

stabnburn23 GC Legend

Mar 29, 2022
    Oh well. They don't have the ability to think logically

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hi Crusher - Yeah, I kinda thought, because of Covid, NIL, Transfer Portal and the general insanity of these "New Rules" (to quote Bill Marr)
    that perhaps UF would see that traditional 2nd year "BUMP" Class the third recruiting cycle. AND - that appeared to be the case. Sadly it sputtered badly the last month. Bobbys post, I suspect, offers a key explaination as to why the class unwound so badly.

And while you can count me as one of the apologists that consider the kids UF signed this cycle as VERY GOOD, UF lost seven (7) recruits previously committed.

Any way you cut it, that hurt. UF is desperately in need of quality depth, well UF had 7 players in the recruiting "starter to contributor mode" leave for other programs.

I'm not quite as convinced as others that "transfers" offer the immediate solution and/or upgrades to the H.S. kids. Some do sure - give me a Greenard, or Pearsall every day of the week and a month of Sundays, but those guys were more the exception than the rule.

I am also VERY CONCERNED that UF's class was:
    A) Heavy on out of state kids
    B) UF is NOT closing very well on top 100 kids in UF's traditional recruiting
    grounds: Central and N Florida and S Georigia.
    C) The Gator Collective Organization (Florida Victorious) does not seem to be on the same level of our high end rival(s) programs, financially speaking.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    It was in jest, completely agree.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    I do wonder though...what's the selling point by the staff for recruits BEFORE the season starts this time around?

More than likely, we're not going to get a high school QB commit the caliber of DJ Lagway (I mean as far as being a 5* QB) in the next month or so to be the building block of the 2025 class like Lagway was for the 2024 class. Going to be interesting

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    United States
    Which seven? I see as few as three wins here, with a seven-game losing streak to close out the season. Optimistically, five wins:

Saturday, Aug. 31 vs. Miami
    Saturday, Sept. 7 vs. Samford
    Saturday, Sept. 14 vs. Texas A&M
    Saturday, Sept. 21 at Mississippi State
    Saturday, Oct. 5 vs. UCF
    Saturday, Oct. 12 at Tennessee
    Saturday, Oct. 19 vs. Kentucky
    Saturday, Nov. 2 vs. Georgia
    Saturday, Nov. 9 at Texas
    Saturday, Nov. 16 vs. LSU
    Saturday, Nov. 23 vs. Ole Miss
    Saturday, Nov. 30 at Florida State

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Another reason a bump class is so incredibly important. That's the class you can sell hope and dreams to. Now, not only do you have to sell that, you have to fend off all the folks pointing out the uncomfortable facts seen on the field of play. With each succeeding year it becomes more difficult to pin that on your predecessor.

• Agree Agree x 2