Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Twitter Updates 2024

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jan 1, 2023.

1. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

• Like Like x 8
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

• Like Like x 10
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Agator88

Agator88 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 7, 2014
    I like the enthusiasm, but this is worse than player X is the next Percy haha.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I understand what Drink from Mizzou and Kif are saying. Greed is the main reason this is happening. I don't think the people making decisions are thinking about non-revenue sports when they started this. But those are definitely part of the merger.
    I can sympathize with the parents who enjoy watching their kids play in person to whatever sport they compete in.
    It’s just funny to me that these coaches think they didn’t contribute to the problem. Do you think a coach will agree to take a cut in pay if this realignment can be stopped? Don't think so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Oh, them classy dwags...I hope she skins them out to a fare thee well.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Unfortunately nothing will happen. Kirby is running a Tom Osborne 2.0 style program. No one will get in the way of the machine

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Yeah I cringe when freshmen get hyped. Even Percy wasn't really Percy until he was a sophomore.

If any ONE of the 3 can really contribute I'll be happy. And if one (Wilson probably) can be above average on punt return and be the man that would be superb.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Not a particularily good look, but without the details it's hard to finger point too much.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    You’re telling me that a kid has no idea what the schedule looks like? You’re right that it’s not like the military, but if you choose to accept a scholarship at a college, it is expected that you will travel with the team is it not? Should we not play bowl games because people’s families can’t fly out to wherever?

• Like Like x 1
  12. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Agree on point 1.

Disagree with the 2nd. Percy was Percy the second he touched the ball for us. Injuries held him back but it was obvious he was playing at a different speed than anyone else on the field even against ucf or whoever we played 1st that year. That's what makes your first point so accurate.

10.4 yards per rush as a freshman. His reception yards per catch did increase each year but he was literally double digit yards per touch as a freshman.

But I do agree I'll be happy with any production and growth from the young receivers coming in.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Civil courts/juries have a way of doing what they want to do, whether Kirby likes it or not.

• Like Like x 1
  14. G8rmann

G8rmann VIP Member

Feb 20, 2014

• Like Like x 3
  15. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    If it were anyone but the dwags, I might concede the point. But drawing the worst possible, first blush conclusion about the motives and intentions of the nice folks in Athens is, historically speaking, a pretty safe bet. Of course, the same can be said for the clown show in Talahassee as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I get the sentiment, but if you watch EW3's highlights you will see that we have not had someone with this kind of ability in a LONG, LONG time. Let us take our recruiting victory lap.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Agator88

Agator88 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 7, 2014
    Yeah I'm just being funny, I love the hype, it's just hard to imagine having those 3 dudes again.

It would be nice if EW3 could just be Callaway as a freshman, sign me up for that.

18. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    How could a athlete any at UCLA prior to 2 weeks ago possibly know they would be traveling to the Midwest pretty much weekly since they just joined the big 10 the other day. And nobody cares about bowl games anymore. Wouldn't be surprised to see the bowls go away with all the star players who opt out and the ever expanding playoffs that will be soon over lapping bowl dates.

I don't think your comparison of a military recruit to a college athlete was the best. College recruits choose where to go after being courted by dozens of head coaches and often times their decision are heavily influenced by geographical location, weather and vicinity to home. If all that changes "after" they sign up then it's not what they "signed up for" if they were lead to believe they had the freedom of choice based off their own preferences.

Just to be clear I personally don't care bc I'm an SEC guy still and the Gators ain't going anywhere but I can see where it may be a little rough for the athletes and families it affects. I also think some of these additions don't make a whole lot of sense except possibly for a money grab for conferences but that is unfortunate bc now some schools like standford, Oregon state, Washington state who have operated on large athletic budgets will have to severely shrink their sports department due to less money coming in because they will be relegated to a lower tier conference which means a lot of sports may be scrapped and that's unfortunate to those student athletes

19. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    well, when these high school students committed to these colleges in the PAC 12, the students knew that for over 115 years, the majority of the teams in their conference, and thus the majority of the locations of their games being played, were known to the players. So, when they committed there was 115 years of precedence that they would be able to play the majority of their games in known locations that were regionally acceptable to them for travel for family or whatever.
    You think the players have no reason to complain? They should have predicted that for the first time ever, the current schools in the pac 12 - at least the original teams - would leave the conference for non regional locations? In fact, no power 5 west coast school has ever been in an east coast or Midwest conference in the history of college football.

when the players accepted a scholarship they did assume 115 years of prior precedent would stand up. Silly them.

now anyone who commits on a go forward - they are forewarned

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. Agator88

Agator88 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 7, 2014
    Yeah about 11 yards per touch, 900 yards from scrimmage and 5 TDS. He was pretty much him from day 1. SEC title game that year, he was unstoppable. He put on some serious muscle between 07-08 and went to another level, but his freshman year was still nasty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1