Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Twitter Updates 2024

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jan 1, 2023.

1. SilverG

SilverG Freshman

Apr 8, 2007
    Not I

• Like Like x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You’re probably better qualified to do that than any of us

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    That is most interesting...to someone, I'm sure.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    O-lineman and safeties?

5. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    OLine has actually been a strength between the portal and high school recruiting. Safety I can see. I would have gone with DE's and LB's.

What is strange is that until 2026, we will still have players that have the ability to play 6 years of college football due to the free COVID year. I think that is is going to be important at positions like OLine and DT where being in a real S&C program and eating at a training table for fives years make a real difference when competing with kids a year or two removed from high school.

7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Class is lacking

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    By and large I don't see much development anywhere. The real impact players of late have almost exclusively been portal/ plug and play guys. Props to the staff for finding those guys....but I firmly believe that path is not sustainable long term, especially moving forward post covid where the open doors reigned.
    I guess you could say Travis has developed (although he too is a portal player), but it feels like his success is all athleticism and ridiculous amount of experience rather han true QB development.
    I don't see a ton of depth at many positions.....I ackowledge that is somewhat "eye of the beholder", especially in the preseason when there are so many new and unproven faces. What you see as solid depth player I may view very differently.

I guess I would throw back at you, what recruited players have shown quality development?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Can we get back to fishing and condiments?

Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 11-20-43 FSU Twitter is a dumpster fire  (808).png

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I almost mentioned the LBs... Haven't heard much about them lately.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I think I understand your argument, which I think has some merit. FSU is capitalizing on other coaching staff's development of players that they are now using in Norvell's system. Norvell has not been able to produce a star in three years that is a kid that he recruited out of high school. The guys on the roster that he did develop were Jimbo or Willie players. Am I more or less on track with that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    That department is light years better then the last staffs. They've been killing it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    He seems to be s decent coach when he can get the right players on his team. At least he knows the importance of a very good QB1 position. In today's game if you have a good mobile QB1 you are way ahead of the game, and in the ACC I expect you guys to be in it at the end of the season. Get by Clemson and you have it made.

I would not be so much in a hurry to leave the ACC, becasue we're going to a 12 team playoff system and being in that league almost guarantees you noles a spot every year over there. With a good/great QB you can get there.

14. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Yeah I would say the same as @apkgator out side of Travis Jordan they are a big unknown irt depth behind center much like us tbh. Unfortunately a majority of the time the team is only as good as its QB so hopefully the injury bug stays away from your 6th year senior starting QB. I for one would like to match up with a healthy FSU squad at the end of our brutal schedule.

15. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I see your point. FSU has been dependent on Jordan and outside of him, there was only Tate in the 2nd half over Louisville. FSU does have Duffy (IMG starting QB) in his second year, Brock Glenn (was an OSU commit) in his first year, and a high 4* coming in this year. FSU has some quality QB options for '24 but they should not be dependent on a transfer. I think Tate transfers and it is between Duffy and Glenn next year but there is no clear cut heir to the position.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  16. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I spoke to a kid who transferred out of fsu8. He told me, he did not feel the coached were developing him. He played on the DL. Dont know If i believed him or it was just an excuse of why he didnt play more.

17. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You are spot on.....I think I can name about a dozen transfers that were impact guys almost immediately, I can't think of a recruit that has moved the needle much. Hence my "development" comment. To be fair, one could argue that the recruits lacked the talent to be "developed", but that's kind of a backwards compliment lol.
    I actually like Norvell, thought he did a great job at Memphis....and he had a full rebuild after Taggart. But it feels like it's all geared toward this year via portal, maybe he rebuilds thru the portal yet again but imo that is playing with fire

18. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Been a ROUGH year for Tim Anderson lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    FSU has hit on the portal and that’s why they had success last year and likely will have success this year. Don’t get it twisted, without the portal this is a 2-4 win team. Their recruiting has been terrible. And not sure where the gas is coming from for their OL, that’s their weakest unit

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    ^^^Agree. FSU did a great job in the portal last year and an even better job this year. Really aided in their improvement. Now this year they are doing fairly well in recruiting. Kids are coming away from visits with a FSU has turned the corner and with coaches telling them go compare the win totals of FSU versus UF this year. Of course, they play no one.