Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Twitter Updates 2024

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jan 1, 2023.

1. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    you were close, down to 5

A consensus 3 star, 6'2 180 lb safety. That has Trey Dean written all over him.
    Pass.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I believe PWO’s can be pushed through the admissions hurdles just like scholarship athletes, but the requirements may be more rigorous, not sure.

It’s so much more than just paying for their food and housing. They have less access to sooo many things that scholarship athletes have access to. Less access to coaches and training in the off season, less access to trainers, even during the season. Their roster spot is not even remotely secure. The simple fact is there’s just no reason for a guy who can get all the scholarship benefits AND an NIL deal at top schools all over the country to come here as a walk on. It’s a pipe dream. Could it make a difference to a guy who’s a d2 prospect? Sure, but that’s not what I call a plus one. A plus one is a guy who’s good enough to commit whenever he wants, even waiting until signing day, and the programs interested in him will keep a spot open.

I told wanne last time we went around and around on this subject that I love the idea, it’s just not practical, and we do not have a third party staff to handle all of the “scholarship benefits” for the non scholarship athletes. If you guys want to set it up, fund it, and manage it, I’m all for it. Even if you set it all up, I doubt it will be as successful as you think. The top guys are still going to have plenty of schools offering real scholarships.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    So couldn't in theory , since scholarships are a year to year basis, a lower ranked guy take the option of becoming a PWO and get the money which would then free up a scholarship for a "plus 1" player? Not saying they would but a previous walk on who was awarded a scholly , a lower ranked guy with an avg offer sheet or a juco player who wants to be apart of something special may choose that versus starting over and changing schools? How the hell did Bama get players to grey shirt when they had scholly offers to other schools?

• Like Like x 1
  4. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Sure, you might talk one of the lower ranked guys into a pwo deal with a good NIL supplement. That kid still has scholarship offers elsewhere though, so good luck making it happen, especially right now, when you have nothing in place to take care of all of the other scholarship benefits that kid is missing out on. It’s not as simple as just giving him a few bucks.

Grey shirts get talked about like they were a common thing, the simple fact is, they aren’t and never were. I recall a single player taking a grey shirt at bama, and he was highly ranked so it got a lot of publicity and then became this thing that bama always did. That kid over played his hand, waited too long, and both of his top choices gave away his scholarship. Bama needed their scholarships every year. I assure you they did not make a habit out of giving this years guys next years scholly’s.

5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If it’s paid for, why would they care. It doesn’t affect them.

6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Preferred walk on’s get everything but tuition

7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t believe there’s a single thing that a preferred walk on or what you call a real scholarship is any different anyway it’s just money.

8. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    It is way different. Pwo’s absolutely do not get everything but tuition. My cousin in law was a pwo at uf. His brother was a scholarship athlete at UF. I have spoken with both of them many times about their experiences. There is a huge difference.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    What’s different. I haven’t heard anything that money doesn’t solve.

10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    They aren’t top football prospects are they? How different do you think Lagways life would be compared to Mertz?

11. agrigatorspyv

agrigatorspyv Senior

Sep 23, 2018
    Deland, Fl
    So is he the self proclaimed "slim reaper" or "showtime"? Nonetheless, I am sure he is a humble guy.

12. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    We’ve been over this multiple times now, and got the last version of this very thread locked last time we went round and round about it.

They have much less access to a whole lot of things. They do not get their tuition, room and board, food, books, tutors, and a whole slew of other things taken care of for them. You seem to think just giving a kid a few bucks and telling him to figure all that stuff out on his own is the same thing.

Their roster slot is also not secure at all. They can be cut from the team after the first week of practice for no reason at all.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    They both get all of the benefits of every other scholarship athlete.

This conversation was started when discussing a “plus one” type athlete. What is your definition of a “plus one”? My definition is above in one of the other posts.

14. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Plus one are elites like Lagway. It’s nothing 100k extra nilcan’t pay for as far as I can see..

16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Give Lagway 100 k extra and all tgat is in the mirror. No roster spot is secure unless you are good.

17. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    100k in NIL money would not even come close to paying for all the benefits a scholarship athlete at UF would receive in one year, much less 3, 4, or even 5. Even if it did, do you want to have all of that stuff taken care of for you? Or do you want to take care of all of that stuff yourself, when you have 20 other schools willing to handle it all for you?

If we’re talking about borderline guys, than this is mostly a waste of time again. Those are PWO type guys as it is, and nobody is going to set up a special system to take care of all the extra stuff to take extra guys who are unlikely to have meaningful production on the field.

• Like Like x 1
  18. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Scholarship athletes absolutely do have a secured spot on the roster. Aside from a disciplinary issue, they will remain with the team for the duration of their scholarship contract. Walk ons do not receive that luxury.

19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    One year and someone like Lagway( plus one) damn sure aren’t worried about that.

20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    How much do you think Lagway is getting. Surely