Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Twitter Updates 2022

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by tommyvee, Jan 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Depends on the school and conference. All big time programs want to be able to process out dead weight. They have always had the power. Now that players have a little say, coaches are whining.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Shnicker

Shnicker Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm all for the student-athletes getting paid while they can. They're the ones putting their bodies through hell for our entertainment. If someone wants to give a 17 year old $2 million for that, I think that's great. It's frustrating as a fan to not have a lot of stability, but I'll trade that for knowing they can get compensated now. If the bubble pops and the payments start going down, then that's how it always works - with everything. But I'm not gonna whine about the game changing when I watch games on my giant TV sitting on my butt while these kids are bruising their bodies every week at best and getting life-altering injuries at worst.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

As it depends on the school, do you know where UF fits into this?

4. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    FRIGG OSU, but…this is so ridiculous though

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    There was a time that UF talked about honoring 4 yr scholarships but that went out the window with a coaching change. I can't remember which one. Now they are 1 yr renewable scholarships. NCAA rules prohibit a school from not renewing a ship due to poor performance but we all know that it happens every year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Winning games in high school helps the University of Florida not one bit, nor does it help the player's NFL draft status. They are being paid on their potential to play well in college, not on having proven they can play well in college. Nothing wrong with that money if you can get it. Happens in the NBA all the time. I'm just saying that they should be smart with that money, save it and get their degree because most of these guys don't pan out in the long run. Look at John Bown and Torrie Davis and Omar Hunter. Three guys that "proved" it in high school to the point that they were ranked the number one or two rated DT in their respective classes. None of them added real value to their college teams or made it to the NFL, although I will give a big thank you to Torrie Davis for the 4th down goal line stop against Oklahoma. For every Harold Perkins there is a D'Shawn Hand, and there always had been, except now they will all get paid regardless. Doesn't bother me if fools want to part with their money, though. The played just better be smart with it, because they may not see that kind of cash ever again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Fair enough. Everyone gets paid off potential. They prove they can play at a lower level(HS) and have potential to play up to college. We agree on the rest.

8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Funny statement. Used to be you got paid for performance. Our values today are so messed up - what’s happening to sports is just a symptom

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    Guess I missed where he flipped his commitment to Alabama or Georgia.

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I can of course see the same thing, but investment has always been a thing. Even if paychecks come after performance, lots of time, training, and other resources go into new employees. Not to mention hiring bonuses etc. I think what bothers me most isn’t the upfront payments as much as football seems to be less of a social value than being a teacher or doctor. But perceived social value doesn’t determine prices, as much as what people are willing to pay. And people are clearly willing to pay a lot for professional athletes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Our values are totally upside down. Our entertainment trumps everything of real value

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. Shnicker

Shnicker Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Not in sports! Sports history is littered with the entertaining stories of busts. They got paid out of high school or college and then stunk if up. Kinda sucks that they never fulfilled their potential, but good for them they got paid I guess.

13. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 4
  14. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007

Don't like that from Ruiz about Samson
    Miami also just got Bain and are now rated top 5 class by 247.

15. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    Uh-oh, did Ruiz just expose a commitment on Twitter?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    They still won't do well on the field of play..got to have coaches that can develop and actually coach on game day...

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    I agree but I don't think Kirby is a great coach but he is a great recruiter like CMC or should I say Ruiz. Your right though CMC 67-67.

18. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Haven't seen anything MC has done at Oregon or the U to convince me...he had all the facilities and $$$$$ at Oregon..did he make it to play offs??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    It's a quirky thing though. The reason entertainers get paid so well is because their audience is so far reaching. I cringe when people say teachers, police, firefighters, medics etc should make more than athletes and celebrities. I appreciate the sentiment as a fire/medic of 13 years but I disagree. Athletes bring in revenue across nations. They deserve what they can bring in.

Now where I think we are screwed up is how people will pay hundreds to go to a game, park, pay exorbitant prices for concessions, buy jerseys or subsidize stadiums.

20. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    Lingard
    Bowman
    Wingo

would all be rich

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.