Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump wins Colorado lawsuit to disqualify him..

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by UFLawyer, Nov 17, 2023.

1. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    It was trump's lawyers that won the lawsuit not really trump himself. Words in the English language have meaning.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Nice try, but not the case. Lawyers are advocates, not parties. Trump
    Intervened and was the party of interest. Read the opinion. Try harder if you want to be snarky. Sorry for your loss.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    The court said trump did participate in an insurrection and that :

https://courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/02nd_Judicial_District/Denver_District_Court/11_17_2023%20Final%20Order.pdf…

The Court finds that Petitioners have established that Trump engaged in an insurrection on January 6, 2021 through incitement, and that the First Amendment does not protect Trump’s speech.

The Court concludes that Trump acted with the specific intent to incite political violence and direct it at the Capitol with the purpose of disrupting the electoral certification. Trump cultivated a culture that embraced political violence through his consistent endorsement of the same. He responded to growing threats of violence and intimidation in the lead-up to the certification by amplifying his false claims of election fraud. He convened a large crowd on the date of the certification in Washington, D.C., focused them on the certification process, told them their country was being stolen from them, called for strength and action, and directed them to the Capitol where the certification was about to take place.

294. When the violence began, he took no effective action, disregarded repeated calls to intervene, and pressured colleagues to delay the certification until roughly three hours had passed, at which point he called for dispersal, but not without praising the mob and again endorsing the use of political violence. The evidence shows that Trump not only knew about the potential for violence, but that he actively promoted it and, on January 6, 2021, incited it. His inaction during the violence and his later endorsement of the violence corroborates the evidence that his intent was to incite violence on January 6, 2021 based on his conduct leading up to and on January 6, 2021. The Court therefore holds that the first Brandenburg factor has been established.

The Court previously held that pursuant C.R.S. § 1-4-1204(4) the burden of proof in this matter is preponderance of the evidence. That is the burden the Court has applied. However, the Court holds that the Petitioners have met the higher standard of clear and convincing evidence.

But oddly decided the POTUS is not an office of the United States and that is the weird interpretation that allowed trump's lawyers to win the case.
    Here, after considering the arguments on both sides, the Court is persuaded that “officers of the United States” did not include the President of the United States.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    This 102 page “opinion” is demonstrative of her partisanship. When she or her clerk sat down at their computer and finished typing the opening, perfunctory paragraph, she knew how she was going to rule: That section 3 of the 14th amendment did not apply to President Trump.

Her “opinion” should have been 7 pages, starting at paragraph 299. But this partisan hack in her couldn’t hide her disdain from her keyboard. As I was skimming through it I knew she was a dumb ass hack when she wrote/claimed (par 71) that Trump stated their were good people on both sides at a “unite the right” rally. This entire narrative is false. There was only one rally that day, which was organized (I believe permit issued by Charlottesville) by a small group of peaceful protesters that didn’t want historical statutes removed. Counter protesters showed up and started violence. After the Counter protesters showed up and started causing problems, the Nazi folks showed up and that is where it got ugly. The original rally folks had nothing to do with the Nazi vermin.

when Trump made his comment, the “both sides” reference was to the original peaceful folks who pulled the permit, and the semi violent counter protesters. That is the 2 sides, hence “both sides”. Trump explicitly excluded the Nazi vermin from his comment (the 3rd side).

So this entire narrative about this event is made up, demonstrably false and if you, like the Judge here, want to repeat it you have no credibility because you are a partisan hack.

When the judge included this garbage in her “opinion” it had absolutely nothing to do factually with the pure legal issue she ruled on to dismiss the case. It was and is irrelevant to whether this limited provision of our Constitution applies to the POTUS. She did it because she is a dumb ass partisan hack.

Go Gators.

Edit- I may be mistaken on the original people who wanted to keep the statutes having a permit, but it’s not relevant.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I've had all I can take of UFLawyer and his snide and condescending comments and am joining the list of folks who put him on ignore.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seems Judge Luttig disagrees with the legal analysis above. Tough choice as to who to trust...

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    don’t trust anyone other than yourself. Read the 100+ page opinion. She ruled in favor Trump. It was a legal question. The only relevant fact needed for her decision is was Donald Trump POTUS. You don’t need spin or any analysis….she says it right there.

Donald Trump’s conduct had nothing to do with her legal ruling. Nothing. As such, her other 80 pages of drivel are legally meaningless and only shows her partisanship.

But go ahead and let CNBC do your thinking for you like a good little lemming. I don’t care one way or the other.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I have to say, if there is one guideline I’d recommend for life, it might be the exact opposite of this. I think our insistence on trusting our own opinions over all others in most every case is one of the roots of our national problems.

Ben Franklin once said, “I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all the doctrines he holds are true and all he rejects are false.”

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    OP has a penchant for arguing all things and in the style of Trump. And this despite continuously claiming not to be a Trump supporter.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    context matters bro. Just saying. LOL

12. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Who decides what is the right context to trust yourself over others? If it is yourself, then it would appear context does not actually matter.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Haven’t read the law or opinion but I haven’t liked the idea of this, particularly short of a conviction.

• Like Like x 1
  14. g8trdoc

g8trdoc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Trump only gets credit when he loses apparently…

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One of the dumber things I've read on this message board to trust my own legal opinion over a highly experienced judge. A long-time conservative judge no less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I agree in general (at this time). The voters should decide short of convictions.

17. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I wasn't surprised by the decision in the least. The reality is that the probability of any court keeping Trump off the ballot was and is virtually nil. A political science class I took on Constitutional Law comes immediately to mind (adding that the focus was much different than the Con Law class I took in Law School). Courts are very reluctant to address "political questions" or in other words issues that they feel should be addressed legislatively and the question of whether an candidate may run for office falls into that category. Judge J. Micheal Luttig and Laurence Tribe both well respected legal scholars made a very strong a argument that Trump is constitutionally prohibited from running for election. In the end it doesn't matter. Although the rationale between courts may differ in the end the chances are that no court will hold that Donald Trump is prohibited from running for election and in the even that he should win the election from taking office.
    The article by Luttig and Tribe
    The Constitution Prohibits Trump From Ever Being President Again

18. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    context here, as I stated in my post, is to read it. Maybe I shouldn’t assume people can read at maybe …..a 9th grade level. I don’t know. If you can read and have a little common sense you shouldn’t need some hack to tell you what it says. There should not be debate on what the judge said.

Let me see if I can help you. Judge ruled that POTUS, isn’t governed by this particular provision of the Constitution. That is a finding of Law. I believe the parties stipulated that Trump was POTUS, otherwise the Court would have simply taken Judicial notice of the fact.

Whether Trump did x, y or z, whether Trump said a,b or c. Whether Trump kicked puppies……those facts do not change the court’s legal finding above. They are not relevant. They are unnecessary.

why did this simple decision take over 100 pages? Because the Judge is a partisan hack and thinks people give a crap about her diatribe. I don’t, because this is my profession and I know better.

Every litigation attorney on this message board has had similar experiences with judges and justices who are more interested in settling a score or making a political point then just doing their job, which is to just call balls and strikes. My disdain is directed at all of them.

• Like Like x 2
  19. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Your post is ridiculous. You apparently don’t even know what the topic is concerning “trust”. Read more, post less. My God man.

SMH

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    you apparently think everyone here must fall into only 2 categories….how special.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1