Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump Will Aim For 60% Tariffs On China If Reelected

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by thelouisianagator, Jan 28, 2024.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    An underrated piece of stupidity here: the same people that want to "bring back manufacturing jobs" want to restrict immigration to the country, despite the fact that the country already has a severe labor shortage.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Not how it works.

3. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You’re not a serious person.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Or when they tell you we’re promoting democracy in Ukraine…

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I do not think we are promoting democracy in Ukraine. More feelings?

6. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    My nominee for the most pathetic post I’ve read in 20 years on here.

Country be damned to own the opposing party. And you probably actually think you’re a patriot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You can’t do that unless the HTS code changes.

8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Of all the lies Trump has been able to sell, putting himself up as a martyr for conservatives might be second only to the election theft lie.
    It’s the perfect con, he can say or do whatever he wants and it’s not only excused, he’s the victim. No matter what he says or does, how badly he behaves, it’s a conspiracy to attack him and his movement if he’s called on it. He gets people on fixed incomes and working class folks to fund his megalomania, despite allegedly being worth billions. It’s really mind blowing how effective he is at conning people.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    People here forget that Trump is a great business man, so he knows about tariffs. It's true that he may lose his whole business in court, but everyone knows that's a witch hunt. After all, Trump is the object of more witch hunts than anyone else in the history of the world. It's also true that with tariffs before he put some American farmers out of business or close to it. Well, maybe those people shouldn't have been farming. They needed to find something else to do. Trump knows business. Didn't he teach business with Trump University? Well, people who invested in it certainly learned some lessons. And didn't he write "The Art of the Deal"? (Oh, that's right, he didn't.) If Trump thinks that 60% tariffs are the thing to do, then he must be right. Has he ever been wrong about anything? If you ask him, the answer is "Never." Would he lie?

• Like Like x 4
  10. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    China cannot crush the us, fear of China can.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. WestCoastGator

WestCoastGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Seriously, WTF is wrong with the idiots who continue to support Drumpf? I mean, how stupid can you be and still function?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    China is taking the same approach that failed Russia. Without a culture of innovation they will always be dependent on the free market countries for development. They make western companies give over their tech over their tech in order to do business there in order to keep up. Their biggest companies are western ripoffs It’s not a sustainable model.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 GC Legend

Jan 5, 2010
    Their companies are also subsidized by the government, so it is not really a free market.
    They are already flooding their local market and Asiapac with cheaper EV cars. And begining to start in Europe.

I am not saying I am for or against tariffs, but what is the proper response?

15. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    I mean, it's funny coming from you, as you are clearly the only over-the-top emotional one in the thread (thus far).

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Kinda like me and music . . . when people write stupid shit about economics, you can bet that doc will chime in w energy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I am certainly emotional about the well being of my country & my fellow countrymen. & the promotion & support of such devastating econ policies upsets me. But, I do feel like I am 1 of the few on this thread that has provided some evidence for my positions rather than just saying stuff. IMO, there is nothing at all wrong with feelings & I think emotions are critically important - I've always been offended by peeps that elevate what they think of as rationality as superior to emotions. But feelings w/o anything else does not really move the ball down the field with me, at least on this issue.

18. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    wow. so easy. the proper response is nothing. There is a lot of evidence supporting this response. Don't fight protectionism with protectionism. If China wants to continue to impoverish themselves, let em.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s a fair question, don’t know that there is a great answer. But largely shifting the burden to the American consumer doesn’t seem like the right one. We spent hundreds of years lowering tariffs because the world is more efficient and prosperous without them.
    The circular question is, what would happen if the US passed a law that it was illegal to give any tech if any kind to a Chinese company? What would happen first? China would eliminate the law on giving over tech to do business there, or companies would just not go?
    American workers wouldn’t be hurt in that scenario as much, shareholders of companies making money over there would, but that’s the investing class who could most afford it.
    Not ideal either though. The cleanest partial solution would be for Americans to pay attention to what they buy. Thailand, Vietnam Laos etc. good, China bad. Watch how quickly the manufacturing would spring up in those countries.

20. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Yes, we all love it when you become so indignant over a trumpet.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1