Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump tells FoxNews why he won't debate Harris

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by cocodrilo, Jul 30, 2024.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I kind of hope that Trump won't debate Harris. Perception means a lot. It will then be a catty election. The Cat Lady vs. Scaredy Cat.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    The self-proclaimed "greatest nation in the world" deserves two highly-qualified candidates, not a stiff and a grift. One of these candidates is obviously wildly unqualified, though. Sounds like you were excited about the stiff getting trounced.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Other than a complete failure of logic, it's perfectly comprehensible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Things could get complicated if Biden forgets that he's not running anymore. I heard that he's going to speak at the first night of the convention. I hope he doesn't say, "I accept your nomination."

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I am not saying that at all.
    I am saying that after going through that embarrassing situation, they should try a different approach then claiming Trump is scared... And their insisting he debate her when it was their goof that caused it is dumb.

Just campaign on your issues and own the fact that we are here because you put a diminished president on the debate stage. None of that is Trumps fault and his campaign owes them nothing.

You cancelled the debate when you removed one of ots participants.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. tilly

My goodness people are entrenched.

The dems screwed this up.
    THEY made this mess.
    THEY changed the debate dynamic by removing a participant.
    THEY blew up the election out of (understandable) fear.
    THEY are now implementing a strategy to say the pubs are scared as they try and flip this.

And its a failure of logic to point that out?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Reoublicans were publicly campaigning against Biden apparent incompetence and that was fair game. Biden took the bet, debated, lost and suffered the consequences. Now it would be stupid for Democrats not to turn the tables on Trump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Two separate topics: the D's changing candidates is one. The other topic is the orange god being chicken shit to debate her.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Sorry man there are scores of posts and posters here who have been saying how great Biden was….u til the debate.

I don’t recall really any left leaning posters saying he shouldn’t be the candidate before his flop in the debate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    And I believe Tilly made that very point in his first post. Both things can be true.

11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I think citygator was a bit of a fanboy and g8tas was adamant that Biden would remain the candidate. There were also scores of posts and posters who lamented the fact that just about anybody but Biden would whip Trumph's a$$.

12. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Understood. I don’t think we want a law. I was thinking something more personal, like us just enforcing a norm even on our own side. I want to vote for the Republican, but I simply won’t do it unless they agree to debates.

I hadn’t really considered this move to pressure Biden to step down as a long term strategic one. I still don’t think it is likely to be a good strategy to replace any candidate that polls poorly at any time. Many candidates, including Trump himself, have polled worse than Biden without being replaced. I have to think that also important for this replacement was that there was an objectively good reason for Biden to step down.

13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Heck, these are just my posts. They range from 2022 to June 2024 before the debate. Guarantee I was not alone.

This one sez it all. April 5, 2023.
    In response to a poster claiming that the Dems deserve the election results should Trumph defeat Biden . . .
    Just prior to the debate . . .

Last edited: Aug 1, 2024
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Choosing a candidate belongs to the party. It is not an “election”, it is a presidential preference primary. They can handle the nominating process however they see fit.

The Republicans openly talked about a brokered convention in 2016 as was their right within their own party”s framework. As it is, the presidential primary is a post WWII system.

Edit to add: some states don’t even have primaries. There are nominating conventions and caucuses. All of it is to determine delegates at the convention. The convention makes the final decision.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    No. It's a failure of logic to conflate the particular fears you perceive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. tilly

That may be true. But it seems to me that the Dems have lost their credibility to argue that point

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. tilly

Correct.

18. tilly

No it isn't. It just doesnt fit your logic

19. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    If Harris gets far enough ahead, I don't think Trump will debate, I think he will leave the country.

He may try to go to Russia, but Putin will tell him, "Sorry, I've got no more use for you."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He has 4 years of proof, she has nearly four years with Biden, and we all know what Trump will do as POTUS... no need to dunk on Kamala to prove that. No need for Trump to further embarrass her fecklessness as THE BORDER CZAR.

She had one job, and she couldn't even do that... she is unqualified to be POTUS.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1