Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump: Still the Overwhelming Favorite for the 2024 Republican Nomination

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by VAg8r1, Jul 12, 2022.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I was briefly in a punk band called, Large Truck, Small Penis.

• Funny Funny x 5
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

@mdgator05 if I may be nore specific, i think DeSantis can counter promises with:

Where's the wall Donald?
    Where's the new health care plan Donald?
    Wheres the $550B infrastructure plan you promised Donald?
    Wheres the 6 weeks of paid leave you promised Donald?
    Where is the $20B for school choice Donald?
    I thought you were eliminating common core Donald? (I did it Donald.)
    Wheres the term limit amendment you promised Donald?

Thats what I mean by punching him in the mouth. He now has a record. He didnt have one to attack in '16.

You attack his legacy of broken promises and empty rhetoric. You remind the blind of just how badly their leader actually performed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Oh yeah, that's playing hardball. That will really get him. And only a really tough guy like DeSantis would say that stuff to Trump. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  4. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    What? I don't see this moving the needle with the Trumpers.

Where's the wall Donald?
    DT: we built a beautiful wall & Mexico paid for it.

Where's the new health care plan Donald?
    DT: We had a great plan.

Wheres the $550B infrastructure plan you promised Donald?
    DT: Nobody does infrastructure like me. I love the infrastructure.

Wheres the 6 weeks of paid leave you promised Donald?
    DT: I'll give you 4 years of UNpaid leave.

Where is the $20B for school choice Donald?
    DT: We'd be at war with N. Korea if not for me & you DC insiders just want radical communism.

I thought you were eliminating common core Donald? (I did it Donald.)
    DT: no one eliminated common core like me.

Wheres the term limit amendment you promised Donald?
    DT: I will be limiting your term you big headed elitist.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Good luck with that. Trump gained popularity with Republicans while in office and the lack of policy is not something that bothered them. He will do what he always did, come up with a nickname to mock DeSantis, probably something about how he is a liar or untrustworthy, and claim he did all of that and Biden and the deep state ruined it.

And I am pretty sure that DeSantis knows all of that, because he spends most of his time on petty grievances rather than policy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tilly

It would be the first time a republican has called out his political failings in an actual contest. Most in that party dont have the balls to question him at all.

Yes, i think going right after his record in the current republican party is tough.

It takes political courage. I'm not saying he needs to get in the dirt and be less than human like Trump. I'm saying you punch him in the political face.

One thing RD has is a record of doing things that he says and those things tend to resonate with his side of the aisle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tilly

Thats funny, I dont care who you are. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Sad/funny thing is I could see Trump replying exactly like this, while his sheep squeal with delight

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    In order to prepare for his showdown with Trump, DeSantis should head down to the local grade school and start arguing with kids

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I despise DSantis, he’s a panderer, a fake conservative, terrible policy wise, even worse than Trump. He’s the biggest lover of new government rules in the history of the Republican Party, he’s passing a dumb law that only hurts the state every five minutes. And he’s helped damage UF’s reputation.
    But he’s also a rational actor who isn’t hell bent on destroying our democracy. I would take him all day every day over orange julius.

the problem is that Trump will take half the primaryvote, and the other half won’t coalesce against him until it’s too late. So Trump will win the nomination, unless his support continues to fade. And it has finally started to come down to earth thankfully, but needs much more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Mass mental illness. Good thing these hearings are a giant fraud. Powell’s going to win court and really be the next special counsel.

12. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Desantis is young & seems pretty shrewd. He may wait for 2028 if Trump runs.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Why are these people arguing in a way that would suggest that American politics (and especially conservative politics) aren't entirely vibes based?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Plus, according to a well researched New Yorker article I read, DeSantis has some personality traits which may emerge in a debate format. He is aware of is formidable intellect and can't tolerate being attacked, for one. He's very dismissive of anyone who contradicts him. It's one thing to behave that way as king of the hill in Florida, but quite another on the national stage.....and as a President.

15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    actually right now in the Republican Party, that may be the only way to beat Trump- out narcissist him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Don't really understand why people would want the young competent fascist over the old ineffectual, incompetent one ...

• Like Like x 1
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As I said, Trump is a legitimate danger to democracy. We almost lost it in 2020, save for a few brave people in key positions.
    Desantis is Trump lite in that regard. Of course you never know until someone is in that position, but does anyone see him calling the Georgia Secretary of State to find him votes, encouraging the Wayne con that supervisors to not certify (against the law), making batshit claims about dominion, completely undermining the faith in our election process, try and get a second slate of electors in, tryng ti convince the VP to throw the election out, encouraging a capitol riot to try and overturn it etc?
    That’s why I have been saying, if his policies suck just reverse them in a few years. This country has survived that process many times. But once democratic institutions are gone they are gone.

Ideally, the dems would find a sane non octogenarian to run against either of them, but I’m not holding my breath.so right now he’s easily the lesser of two evils.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Or come here to TH and banter with the local pre school libbies.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    after incessantly crying to the mods, Trump would bitch out & head to TOS

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    And then Trump will call him a rino, talk about how he got pushed around by woke libbies at Disney, and talk about how he is the only one who consistently fights against the elite liberals and their allies while DeSantis has stayed safely in Florida, a place that has voted republican consistently for governor since 1999. He will talk about how he was president during an amazing economy, kept russia under control, and was winning bigly for 4 years, etc. etc etc.

You can't contradict that kind of nonsense and blowhard with simple talking points. If he tries that tactic he will comes off as a pretentious know it all and people in the republican party especially will start to associate him with others in a long line of guys attacking trump and trying to use the lies of the liberal media to prove it.

Because think about it. Half of those things you posted were talking points OF THE LEFT.

• Winner Winner x 1