Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump safe after gunshots in his vicinity at golf course; FBI investigating assassination attempt

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by okeechobee, Sep 15, 2024 at 5:13 PM.

1. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Amazing you have to explain that to someone who's at least capable of turning on their computer and loading an internet browser. Oh wait .... perhaps their mother did that for them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Because the evidence doesn't support it. The kid who shot Trump in PA was a mentally ill person looking to go out in a blaze of glory. He tracked both Trump and Biden's movements and chose to shoot at Trump because he was going to be in the area before Biden. Had Biden gone to PA first, and the kid took a shot at him, would you still say it was Biden's rhetoric that caused the kid to try and assassinate someone?

I'm also curious. What do the righties who are blaming the left rhetoric have to say to the good people of Springfield, OH? Because of Trump and Vance continuing to make claim against Haitian immigrants, Springfield has received multiple bomb threats causing the city to close down schools and cancel events. And instead of apologizing, Trump is doubling down and just called the immigrants "animals" yesterday. So again, what is your message to Springfield? And please, keep in mind, these Haitian immigrants are here legally on a temporary work visa.

I'd love to be the adult in the room and be the change that would tone down the rhetoric and return our politics to a more civil time. But how can I when Trump continues to villainize, demonize, and dehumanize entire ethnic groups? What is the appropriate response?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Just stop already. You're trying to argue in good faith with people who tossed that out the window years ago. They're gone now and I highly doubt any of them made it past the first sentence. It is what it is with these people, an 8th-grade insult contest. Embrace it. Lean in!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    It's not rhetoric if it's true. Trump is a clear threat to our democracy. The aftermath of the 2020 election proved that, as if it wasn't already obvious.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Question for our resident lawyers. What charges will this guy be hit with?

Obviously the weapons charges but in terms of the rest how do you think he will be charged? Does the fact that he never fired the gun have an impact on the charges they hit him with?

They seemingly have a mountain of evidence suggesting he was planning an assassination attempt but without actually making an attempt it seems somewhat circumstantial.

How will this play out?

6. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Too soon? The scarecrow has earned this sort of ridicule.

Kamala Safe And In Stable Condition After Attempted Interview | Babylon Bee

PHILADELPHIA, PA — Americans across the country breathed a sigh of relief this morning following breaking news that Vice President Kamala Harris had survived an attempted interview.

The incident took place late yesterday afternoon during a campaign stop in Pennsylvania when a rogue reporter reportedly approached the vice president and fired off several questions before being tackled to the ground and subdued by Secret Service agents. Harris was quickly evacuated from the area and taken to a secure location.

"Thankfully, Vice President Harris is safe and in stable condition," a campaign spokesperson said. "We all feared the worst when that crazed person emerged from the crowd and attempted to interview the sitting U.S. vice president right there in broad daylight. Someone must be looking out for her, though, because she avoided suffering any damage in the incident."

The FBI arrived at the scene shortly thereafter and discovered that the would-be interviewer was in possession of several notepads, pens, a cellphone, and a camera authorities believed was intended to capture the event for a livestream or video. "Isn't that sick?" said a campaign insider. "This nutjob had this all planned out. He was coming out here for the specific purpose of interviewing Kamala Harris — and he was trying to record himself doing it. This is the type of America we can expect under Donald Trump."

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, these two shooters had very different motivations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    REPUBLICANS shot/wanted to shoot at Trump with guns that DEMOCRATS want to ban but somehow this is all DEMOCRATS' fault. Perfectly insane GQP logic.

And don't some of you dare bring up dangerous political rhetoric. Trump injected that into the body politic and continues to do so forcing everyone who publicly opposes him to have to hire private security due to death threats from his deplorable cultists.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The attempted assassin is going to get a complete grilling in Florida and will likely end up with life in a Florida prison. Hope he is still laughing and smiling about how stupid he was to try assassination in The Free State of Florida. This isn't California, New York, and Washington DC where prosecutors let people off with a slap on the wrist.

(2) Ron DeSantis on X: "The State of Florida is conducting its own investigation into the second attempted assassination of former President Donald Trump. It is not in the best interests of our state and nation to have the same federal agencies seeking to prosecute Trump leading this investigation. As https://t.co/l61XCoe0ls" / X (twitter.com)

[​IMG] Ron DeSantis @GovRonDeSantis

The State of Florida is conducting its own investigation into the second attempted assassination of former President Donald Trump. It is not in the best interests of our state and nation to have the same federal agencies seeking to prosecute Trump leading this investigation. As I announced in Palm Beach County this morning, I am assigning this case to the Office of the Statewide Prosecutor. The suspect is believed to have violated state laws across multiple judicial circuits. The State of Florida has jurisdiction over the most serious, readily provable offense: attempted murder. The public deserves answers on how something like this could happen. I have directed our state agencies to move expeditiously and to provide full transparency to the public. There will be accountability in Florida. The people of our state, and the entire country, deserve no less.

I hope the first question and answer involves how he knew Trump would be playing golf on Sunday.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2024 at 12:41 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t know all the charges they’ll bring up but you can be sure they’re going to throw the book at him.

As for not pulling the trigger, it is not required for attempted murder. Attempt requires a “substantial step”. Talking about it wouldn’t be enough, but in this case they’ll have him dead to rights based on him procuring a weapon, setting up a camera to record it, showing up to the scene, lying in wait 12 hours, etc.

If I was looking for a potential curveball it would be if he had no ammunition. I don’t know what was on him, if the gun was loaded, etc., but I don’t see how he beats the charge barring some weird fact like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Notwithstanding what Aronberg said yesterday, I’d be kind of surprised if state charges (likely attempted murder) don’t come at some point. Florida’s attempt statute requires a substantial step towards completing the crime, and I suspect you’ll see an argument that acquiring a weapon and lying in wait are the requisite substantial steps.

In terms of additional federal charges, I’d guess off the top of my head that the charges for entering restricted grounds without lawful authority (restricted grounds include restricted areas of buildings or grounds where someone under Secret Service protection is temporarily visiting), potentially attempted murder of a federal official if he pointed his gun at a Secret Service officer, and some various threat charges would be possibilities.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Doesn't take a genius to correctly guess that Trump's going to be golfing on a Sunday when he's at home with no campaign events scheduled.

13. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    I knew you were going to respond. Should have saved myself the time and let your response roll in. :)

14. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    If anyone tries to charge him while holding him in custody, he will get the Jack Ruby/Epstein permanent silence act done to him.

15. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Yup one of two courses.

And we also have no idea how many nights this weirdo spent in that bush before Trump actually played golf there.

16. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    They might be able to figure it out since they were able to determine based on cell phone carrier data he showed up at 1:58 am. I don’t know how much data cell carriers track and for how long but it’s not inconceivable they could recreate his steps the prior few days/week.

17. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Can you be charged with entering restricted grounds if you were there before the arrival of the person/people that made the grounds “restricted”? Trespassing-clearly, as a state crime. But entering restricted grounds might be a stretch if the grounds weren’t restricted when he first entered. There may be a timing nuance that allows him to avoid that charge (and I’ve done no digging on it whatsoever).

18. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    With both sides accusing the other of silencing him. You know … Because the rhetoric must be toned down.

19. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I think the actual language of the statute prohibits “enter[ing] or remain[ing] in” restricted grounds or buildings, but that’s a good question. It’s basically a federal trespass statute.

20. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    He's routinely photographed on the golf course, its not even that hard to get within "shooting" range for photographers, something which the Secret Service has warned him about.