Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump found guilty on all 34 counts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, May 30, 2024.

1. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    All the more reason to reject the premise that Biden is pulling the strings. Hunter’s “sweetheart” deal was pulled, and he now is facing a trial. Nobody pulled the prosecutor, nobody threatened the judge, no jurors were threatened, no witnesses were threatened.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Yeah, Trump is unique in his criminality. This is the same argument as you can't convict him for 1/6 because no other president tried to steal the election this way before.

• Like Like x 2
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    but there is a former SS agent on the jury..and one juror got upset today when the opening arguements were focusing on addiction...

is there any record out there as to how often this type of violation is prosecuted?

I bet a LOT of MAGA supporters could be charged with this same crime based just on medical MJ cards

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    People seem to have memory-holed the Bush DOJ scandal. Who today remembers Alberto Gonzales?

• Like Like x 1
  5. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Is it your belief that there are no democrats being charged in the federal or state court systems?

7. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I guess these are the only options for how politicians, and their associates, can be prosecuted:
    1. For each prosecution on one side, there must be an offsetting prosecution on the other side
    2. No one at all should be prosecuted for any reason
    Am I leaving out a scenario that would fit the qualifications from our friends on the right?

8. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Those days seem so quaint now that almost half the country thinks that a convicted felon rapist is just fine with them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Since you are basing this on your knowledge and opinion and both are incorrect, you should stop digging. JMO.

10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And no other candidate for POTUS and the only one in well over one hundred years who was elected to the office and decided to run again after an election defeat is actually committed crimes. Whether intentional or not what you, backers of the former president in elective office and the media are inferring is that a presidential candidate and/or a former president (and in the case of Trump both criteria apply to him) should be above the law since prosecution for any crime would be deploying the criminal justice system against him (or hypothetically her).

Edit: I forgot to mention President Nixon who probably would have been prosecuted were it not for President Ford's preemptive pardon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Bragg, as has been pointed out before, has made one of missions to stop the white collar crimes, including false records reporting. As for Trump’s prosecution, let’s remember, other subordinates have already served time for the exact crime. Trump is not unique for being held accountable, he is unique in having a massive bully pulpit and never-ending resources (paid for by people who seem to think he is the coming Messiah). He is unique in that he gets away with threading judges, witnesses, and prosecutors, whereas any other person would be incarcerated for such conduct.

As for the criticism for Bragg bringing the case, the only criticism I have heard from the Never Trumpers is that the case was very risky to bring because the case purportedly hinged on a known liar and “fixer,” making an otherwise rock-solid case tenuous in terms of the high burden of proof. However, Bragg’s team did a masterful job of neutering Cohen’s significance and using him as a corroborating piec of evidence rather than the main piece.

The criminal reporting conduct, which is a misdemeanor, was a slam dunk case. However, The second leg — attaching the reporting to an intent to further conceal a crime, was the tricky part. Again, as seen by the Reidy, Bragg’s tea did a great job.

And, while on the subject, do you think Trump is innocent here? I mean, his entire career shows a pattern of similar conduct — from his consumer fraud cases to his bankruptcies (where he walked away with millions while his creditors were shafted) to his cheating charities to his stiffing vendors to his defrauding banks with his multiple set of books.

Forget politics just for a moment - the guy is not an honest businessman, he has exhibited a total absence of integrity, and he has a storied record of dishonest business practices. Add onto that his serial and unapologetic adultery, sexual abuse (just grab her by the p”), bullying rivals and those who speak against him …

Why is he someone that you feel the need to so strenuously and vociferously excuse away and/or apologize his actions?

• Winner Winner x 5
  12. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
  14. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I briefly scanned the article, and the writer’s opinion appears to be consistent with what many of us here said since before the trial — the Bragg case was the weakest and most challenging of the criminal cases against Trump, and thus if Trump won — either at verdict or on appeal — it would serve the weaken the more serious cases in the minds of public opinion. I don’t think that opinion is controversial.

15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    That is false. The New York statute does not require the crime that the person was covering up to be a crime under New York law. The violation of New York Law is the falsifying business records in their jurisdiction with the intent of covering up any crime, whether under New York jurisdiction or not. And it is often applied in exactly this manner. One of the most recent cases from prior to Trump involved a case of fraud of a federal welfare program.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  16. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    I don't think that is a good representation of the author's point. The author called this case a sham that never should have been prosecuted. That is not the same thing as weak. And this is still someone who will not cast a vote for Trump even with a sham case.

It kind of demonstrates the main thrust of one of my critiques with respect to these topics: people don't always fit into these strictly defined binaries that people create for themselves and others who disagree with them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    MAGA continues to ignore the crime. So much for law and order

18. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    Back to reasserting the binary. SMH.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You found one opinion article by a conservative writer that backs up your view to help you rest easy at night SMH.

You're at least one of the closest right-leaning posters to admit that you don't like Trump but it doesn't matter because you really only care about judges/abortion. You just can't quite make it over the hump to stop defending his actions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    That is a slight misrepresentation. Alan Dershowitz voted for Biden too, and he ripped the judge in this case calling him "a tyrant" worse than anything he has ever seen in Russia, China, or any other country in the world. I do care about many things, but they carry weights. Genocide involving millions of people carries a massive weight for me because it is murder, and it is millions being murdered. Most people who criticize my opinion put little or no weight on this genocide as being wrong.

Alan Dershowitz rips 'tyrant' judge for 'outrageous' rulings in Trump trial: 'Never seen spectacle like this'

• Funny Funny x 1