Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump found guilty on all 34 counts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, May 30, 2024.

1. PD

PD VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I hate to break it to the MAGAs on the board, but I am slowly starting to believe that Trump will get jail time for this.

The obvious first point, of course, is that if it were anyone else in the entire country, it wouldn’t even be a question. This is the most severe falsification of records crime, charge, and potential consequence, and anyone else in the country would get the maximum sentence. But we all know that Donald Trump is not only a rich white celebrity, he’s also the former occupant of the White House, and he is always treated with kid gloves. About the only thing he’s ever said is that was true is that there is a two-tier system of justice. He just misrepresents which side of those tiers he resides.

The reason I am given optimism is that Trump violated the gag order 12 times. I believe he was held in contempt of court 10 times. He was openly hostile in court to the jury, to the judge, to the prosecution, and to his own counsel. The rhetoric he used when he violated the gag order a dozen times was the rhetoric of violence, and the reason the gag order was imposed is that it was very dangerous rhetoric.

Point being, he demonstrated during the trial that not only is he very dangerous, but he has no respect for the law and no intention of following it. This is the kind of thing that influences sentencing.

What also influences sentencing is prior history. Prior behavior or criminal actions are not supposed to be part of determining guilt, and are not allowed to be introduced in court, except under certain circumstances. But in aentencing, all prior behavior, criminal or otherwise, is taken into account. And Trump is an adjudicated rapist, an adjudicated business fraud, an adjudicated charity fraud, an adjudicated university fraud, and he is an adjudicated defamer, which means he will not stop inciting violence against people if he is allowed to roam free. And he is under indictment for 57 other felonious counts.

The alternatives to jail time are probation and house arrest, neither of which are a punishment for him, and neither of which would be a deterrent to future criminals. And those are the two goals when sentencing.

When you put all of this together, it would be no small travesty of justice if he did not get jail time. And I think the judge will have to consider that if it were anyone else, there would not even be a question. And he does not impress me as a judge who would allow a career criminal to skate on jail time simply because of his celebrity status.

Last edited: May 31, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This was a great tip! Helped me find him right away.

Judicial Directory: Judge Bio

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If any of the rest of us did half the shit he has done we would be at the gray bar hilton. Meanwhile the crybaby dodges that.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. PD

PD VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am an evidence-based decision maker. And the evidence supports my observation.

You have displayed that you are a right winger, so your honesty in this reply is very dubious, by definition.

5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yeah, but who is it who told you how to spell it correctly? Think about it. Only sheep rely on correct spellings!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. PD

PD VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is the kind of insanity that has taken over Republican world. The truth doesn’t match their desires, and stretching the truth is easily debunked. So they embrace completely hysterical conspiracy theories that make flat earthers sound rational. It’s really hard to debunk something that has no bearing anywhere in reality.

I mean, most MAGAs believe that Biden died years ago, and Dark Brandon is a clone (or sometimes it’s an android), and also Trump is the real president running the country from (literally) underground, and there are 2 militaries (one following Trump doing all the good stuff; one following the Biden droid doing all the bad stuff). And of course, Biden is a mastermind pulling all the strings of the deep state and the corrupt legal system, but is also a feeble old man who can’t construct a sentence or stay awake for 11 seconds.

These are actual MAGA conspiracy theory beliefs. Zero proof, 100% belief.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Hall of Fame

Mar 7, 2009
    Meal Team Six ready to serve, sir!

• Funny Funny x 7
  8. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Stop being a sheeple PD :). Clearly it's a military sting operation being led by Biden as Commander-in-Chief to expose corruption.....by Biden? idk - having' trouble piecing that one together.

9. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    i like you so won't ruin it over politics.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sierragator

Apr 8, 2007
    Is that before or after their trip to the buffet line and wal mart?

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Hall of Fame

Mar 7, 2009
    After. They went to Golden Corral first and then stopped by Wal-Mart to get the latest Call of Duty.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    I don't think he goes to jail. But this judge does hold an immense amount of power. He'd be totally justified in sending him to jail and if he does that for any length of time the Trump nightmare ends. I hope you're right but I just don't think we are that lucky.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Yeah, I dont think he goes to jail either but how stupid do you have to be to criticize the judge, call him names, call his daughter names, accuse them both of malfeasance, and violate the judge's gag order 10 times when that very judge gets to decide your sentencing? Almost like he is daring the judge to do something about it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I don't understand all the nuances, but my understanding is that judges consider multiple factors in sentencing - such as whether the defendant cooperated and whether and to what extent a defendant expresses remorse.

The notion that defendants may be given extra punishment for requiring the state to meet its burden at trial is sometimes called a "trial tax," and something I've always been interested in with respect to fairness. With respect to expressions of remorse, should a defendant be given extra punishment for maintaining his innocence while pursuing his appellate rights? Or should they be forced to lie about being sorry and to grovel to the Court to avoid having the book thrown at them?

I'm pretty sure Trump isn't going to express remorse for anything. I don't know how much of a role that plays, but it will be interesting to see if Trump's situation might prompt discussions about these sorts of considerations generally.

15. sierragator

Apr 8, 2007
    Since he is spayshul my money is on probation that gets commuted if he wins in november

16. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I've never thought that Trump will spend a day in anything remotely resembling jail. I still don't. I think the Judge himself said he was very reluctant to jail a former president. I do wonder if those who are very upset now because we're talking about Trump might consider how some of these issues affect typical defendants on a routine basis.

17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    nope, it would be seen as a brilliant 3d chess move

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    Zzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  19. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    Ohhhh good one….like it changes what I wrote. Go back to your world

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You tell em. This WITCH HUNT was a SHAM. It was all orchestrated by Biden weaponizing the DOJ and a corrupt fake Dem judge who wouldn't let Trump defend himself. Everybody can see this political persecution for what it is.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1