Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump campaign speaker excitedly calls for "civil war" if Republicans lose the election

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Jul 23, 2024.

1. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sorry to disappoint you, but Trump hasn’t used me for anything. I’ve never voted for him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    There's no point. I voted for him in 2016 but you people lost me when you went full-commie Chomsky on Ukraine. . . . and did so for no other reason than because Trump and your PR talking heads told you to. Yeah, just flip on 75+ years of core Republican policy because. . . . it's Biden!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    As your point SHOULD be proven.

Trump voters SHOULD be condemned : they're casting their votes for an obvious CRIMINAL (and Russian stooge). Who assaulted our democracy in perhaps the worst way possible : trying to disregard the votes of millions.

And, again, you're mistaken about the "understanding" part : they either believe lies or are motivated by racist tribalism. It's perfectly understood.

You just confuse "understanding" with "empathy", seeming to think that Trump voters deserve empathy. But let's try that out;

"Oh, you're just angry because you believe the lies of a hate-mongering con man, because you've not taken it upon yourself to damn learn better. Oh poor you!!!"

or

"Oh, you're just ignorant about the history of our border and a US non-white work force, so you're really scared and angry about the lies you get told about immigration. Oh poor you!!"

No, empathy doesn't seem to fit. But ya know what fits well? This : "Stop listening to the lies of a racist, criminal con man." THAT is what they need to hear.

4. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    He's clearly used (up) the Pro-Lifers. If they think this is "just politics", then think again. He's not turning back as pro-choice is the more popular position and he's a narcissistic populist. Irony is that Trump will end up killing the Pro-Life movement as a national political force. LOL! Can't make this stuff up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    What in the world are you talking about, friend? How did you get anything like that out of my post?

6. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.

7. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Are you saying you disagree with Hillary Clinton’s comments about understanding and empathy?

8. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Why are you aiming this at me? I have never voted for Trump and I support helping Ukraine. I don’t listen to any PR Talking Heads. I think maybe you’ve confused me for someone else.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Perhaps. Maybe I partially agree.

For example, perhaps we have to better understand many Trump voters in order to help them return to a place of rationality. To reality.

For example, better understanding may enable us to convince them that any and all sources of information they disagree with are not false. That running a political campaign based on racist hate-mongering is wrong, that trying to overturn an election is unacceptable, that attacking our Capitol for political reasons is wrong.

Those are all truths of America or functioning society, or both, and Trump has convinced a huge amount of people to disregard them. To disregard decency.

So maybe we DO need to understand them more completely in order to have them more effectively participate in society and our democracy. To have them return to the morality they claim.

But it's indeed understood why they are in the mental place they currently are. And it's sad.

• Like Like x 2
  10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    My mistake then and my apologies.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  11. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I've tried on multiple occasions but none of them want to hear anything even remotely counter to their current, wackjob world view. I mean, what do you say to empathize with someone who literally believes that Nikki Haley = Hillary Clinton? Seriously. That's about as far off the reservation as one can get, especially when you consider that NH would have been the R's dream come true, someone who can actually build a consensus for the changes they want.

12. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    That’s why I voted for Haley. It won’t happen, but I think a Haley versus Harris election would be fascinating!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He said it would take a civil war to take back this counrty if we lose this election...

This guy is a state Senator, not a federal Congressional Senator.

Talk about starting a fire (thread) in a crowded room with hyperbole about a no one state official. :rolleyes:

14. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    You’re always making pitiful excuses for these scumbag politicians. Have some dignity.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    He's right, if we lose this election, your Dems in congress will never allow for a free election ever again. And we know how to get that freedom back.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Why are the dems even letting us have this election?

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I think Haley would clobber anything the D's have to offer and probably provide a Reagan-like mandate. Could easily see her pulling 80%+ of Independents and even 10-15% of Democrats given how desperate people are for someone competent. I also think the country needs a shift to the right and she would accomplish that with intelligence and with a consensus that would make it stick.

But instead we get OT between two people who will never be able to deliver that. It's just unforgivable and is why I'm so furious with MAGA right now. Case in point would be Gatorrick's goofy post upthread. What do you even say to that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    How?

What will you patriots do?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    They aren't... the Constitution is. And there are still enough non-political people on the fence about either Political Party.

20. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think this is the best post you’ve ever written. Thank you for it.

I agree with most of what you said. I would add that the goal cannot be just to convince Trump supporters they’re wrong, but also to see what concerns them deep down. That doesn’t mean that we have to agree with everything they think.

I know Trump supporters who are deeply concerned about people flooding across the border. This often gets dismissed as they are just racist, without exploring concerns that might rise from that issue.

I know Trump supporters who are concerned about taxes being raised. These are not wealthy people. The Trump tax cuts had two provisions at least that tremendously benefited middle and lower income people. The first was doubling the standard deduction, which reduced the taxable income of these people. Once the tax cuts expire, the standard deduction will be cut in half and then taxable income will rise.

Another benefit of the Trump tax cut was self-employed people who file schedule C get to exclude 20% of that net income from federal taxes. If that disappears, their taxes go up.

There are other issues that deeply affect these people. I know a couple MAGA-type supporters, but the vast majority of Trump supporters I know are just good every day Americans who want the best for their country.

• Like Like x 3