Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trump calls for 10% tariff on all imports

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dangolegators, Aug 22, 2023.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    People cherry pick numbers to make their case. This case only cherry picks federal income tax and ignores all payroll and state and local taxes.

Here is an analysis that takes into account all of those taxes and compares to shares of income.

Who Pays Taxes in America in 2019?

upload_2023-8-23_11-19-30.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Then stop asking for more!

3. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Capital gains tax is not double taxation. This whole idea of double taxation is just something anti-tax folks came up with to make it seem unfair. You see the same thing with the estate tax, with people calling it double taxation. It is not. When people receive income, whether it is from wages, capital gains, or inheritance, it is taxed.

As for taxing both corporate profits and dividends, why does it matter? We could eliminate the dividends tax and increase the corporate profits tax and the end result would be the same.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No, but no one knows if Obama even went to college... NO RECORDS...

5. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Of course you would only see it that way. You’d triple tax everyone if you could.
    Your kind wants to squeeze the man and reinforce the govt.
    So sad.

6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Kenya believe it?

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    Ok.....
    Using your graph, the top 20% pay nearly 70% of all taxes. How much of all taxes do you want or expect them to pay?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Top 20% make about 62% of the income and pay about 67% of the taxes. In a progressive system the tax percentage should be higher.

9. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    Still haven't answered the question. If the top 20% of earners make 62% of the income, then what percentage of total taxes should they be responsible for? They are already paying north of 80% of the income tax, should they be responsible for 80% of all taxes? Top 20% is anyone over $130,000 annually.

10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    It is double taxation by definition. I’m not specifically saying it’s bad. The only reason I bring it up is you have to evaluate it in context. It’s easier to look at the impact of dividends where it is more obvious, but ultimate dividends and capital gains come from the same thing, it’s just form and timing.

So when someone says cap gains rates are too low because they are lower than ordinary income tax rates, you should take into account that the income has already been taxed as corporate income tax level. Again not saying that is bad. Whether it is bad or not are arguments of efficiency and fairness.

For the record I think the current corporate tax is too low. The prior rate is too high. I agreed with Obama it should be closer to 28%.

As a comparison a pass through entity like an S Corp or partnership only gets taxed once. The income of the entity passes through to the owner and are taxed as owner income at ordinary rates.

These are economic and accounting taxation facts.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    By your definition everything is double taxation then. I already paid a tax on my income, why do I have to pay more taxes when I use my already taxed income to buy stuff?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The graph shows that each income group pays taxes roughly proportional to their earnings. I don’t have a particular number that I expect any particular group to pay.

Could higher income afford to pay more taxes, yes. Should they pay dramatically more taxes, no. Can we solve our budget problems, wants and needs simply by taxing the rich, not even close.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    That’s not the way it works but using your logic with dividends and capital gains that would be triple taxation - Corp income tax, dividend tax, sales tax.

Again compare the treatment of pass through entities like S corps to C Corps.

15. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Just making the point. Everything is taxed. Saying something is double taxation is a meaningless distinction. And sales tax is technically paid by the purchaser, so if I buy a product from a company I don't have any shares in, I'm not (directly) paying a tax 3 times for the production and sale of the same product.

16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I think this graph is informative. It gives the effective tax rate of each income group.

upload_2023-8-23_13-28-56.jpeg

Some may argue with their methodology but the point is the tax system, including all taxes, is progressive in total, but not as progressive as some may think. Whether that is bad or good depends on one’s viewpoint.

17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    It is not meaningless. You just choose to ignore standard economic terminology for what I assume are partisan reasons.

You won’t even acknowledge the difference between S Corp and C Corp taxes, where S Corp owners income is taxed once and C Corp it is taxed twice.

18. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    What is their methodology? It's difficult to assess who ultimately pays a tax. For example, if a poor person rents an apartment from a wealthy person, who actually pays the property tax?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    feel free to dig into it.

Who Pays Taxes in America in 2020?

FWIW they are typically accused of being more slanted left vs right.

“Who Pays?” Doesn’t Tell Us Much About Who Actually Pays State Taxes

You have to make reasonable assumptions. Such as, who do you assign the employer side of payroll taxes to, the employer or the employee? The most accepted economic assumption is you assign it to the employee as tax and income since it is a cost of labor and there really is no difference between employer withheld tax and employee withheld payroll tax - they are both withheld and emitted to the government.

What about employee medical benefits that are not taxed? In theory those should be counted as income. I don’t know how they handle that.

Also, what about corporate income tax? This gets back to our other argument. Corporate income tax is borne by shareholders, and should be assigned to shareholders who tend to be higher income. But what income to assign and not double counting it (dividends / capital gains) can get fairly complicated.

20. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    I'm not being partisan at all. It is a meaningless distinction. When I pay sales tax I pay like 6% to the state and 2.25% to local (or whatever it is in Texas). Is that double taxation? I'm being taxed twice on the same transaction. All that really matters are the overall rates. If an S corp owner ends up paying the same tax rate as a C corp share holder on the same amount of income, it doesn't matter that the C corp share holder is being taxed twice and the S corp owner once.