Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trevor Etienne skates

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by savgator1956, Jul 11, 2024.

1. thegatorvault

thegatorvault All American

Jan 11, 2015
    There is merit to both sides of this discussion. The ability to ‘skate’ does depend on your ability to pay for the best defense, and also the inclination and leniency of the local DA. There are many jurisdictions with tough DAs and those without, the latter of which we have a lot of examples over the last few years. Just because you break the law does not mean you will be prosecuted for that crime.

I’m not sure how you could do it but it would be interesting to see what the records were for others in similar circumstances compared to players on the football team. That should give an indication on whether there might be preferential treatment or whether it’s just how that particular prosecutor rolls. Still doesn’t take into account the critical roll of the defense attorney’s prowess but would be interesting nonetheless.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I didn't really address this, because I don't want to open closed wounds, but if you really want to know the answer to this question send me a PM and we can have a friendly chat. I wouldn't characterize it as a personal involvement in defense... or at least it wasn't anymore personal than those who attacked him. We were just giving our opinions, on both sides of the discussion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    This can't be a serious statement. Congressional members frequently get away with crimes.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Drag racing and killing folks? Several times in the last two years? Maybe I missed it.

5. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Why are you limiting the scope to these specific crimes in this specific time frame? I don't think drag racing leading to death is the actual issue, it's the vehicular homicide, right? We have seen some Congresspersons, their family members, diplomats and their families, etc... get away with vehicular homicide.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I could turn this in to a TH thread but... ugh, have to keep my thoughts to myself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  7. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    DUI wouldn’t have mattered for our game. He would have been back well before then

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    It's sad that we are now comparing college football players to scum bag politicians.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Two more dogs just got arrested.

• Like Like x 1
  10. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    Richardson would have dusted both of them.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    I say encourage them and let's watch that program implode.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
  13. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Who would these people be?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    You didnt ask me but its a fair question.

There is no doubt the wealthy "elite" and politicians get away with criminal behavior. It shouldn't be tolerated but the documented instances are typically sparse in occurance giving the number of politicians and geographic locations of said offenses. Not that it doesn't happen way more often than documented.

But "the specific scope and time frame" being set as parameteris in this case is pertinent due to the specific institutional involvement as well as the frequency of the same offenses in a relatively short time period as indicative of problem specific to that university, staff and government. It just so happens to be Georgia this time and it coincides with historic success in their program.

I hate (in a sports sense) Georgia, fsu, Miami, Tennessee and maybe osu and I admit bias in my dislike when things like this occur in their programs but I would take exception to any program in the country that exhibited this kind of disregard for accountability especially given the threat to public safety

15. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Thats probably the worse example that could have been given lol

16. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Oh you know….people

17. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    There are thousands of college football players in the NCAA, and what percentage have actually gotten in serious legal trouble? Less than 5%? The majority of them are well-behaved kids who do what they’re supposed to do.

18. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    Nice try.

Be specific.

19. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016

[​IMG]
    I’ll leave it to your imagination

20. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    Thanks for posting this. These articles detail what really happened with Etienne.

Etienne was arrested for DUI. Reports said that the charges were dismissed, which is technically true, but he plead to reckless driving. Presumably, there will be consequences for that even in Georgia. MAD monitors the courtrooms of America on DUI cases, and the judges won't cross them.

It is routine in Florida for first time DUI offenders to be allowed to plead to reckless driving charges, if no accident, property damage, personal injuries, etc. I bet a lot of posters on this board know someone who did this. In the process of pleading to reckless driving, the DUI charges are dismissed, but there are still consequences, usually the same consequences one would face if convicted of DUI.

Lord knows I am loath to defend the mangy, flea bitten, ball licking leghumpers, but it sounds like Etienne's case was handled per the norm, with one difference. He ran from the cops. Generally, when you run from the cops, a beat down is coming from both them, and the judge. That is most likely where he skated.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1