Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Trevor announces he's entering the portal

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Dec 7, 2023.

1. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland

2. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. ufmc84

ufmc84 All American

Aug 13, 2017
    Danny Wuerffel is the G.O.A.T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Many references to ETN blocking or lack thereof. I happened to watch the replay of the Gator-LSU game today and all i saw is no tackling, bad angles, and more. The worst part of the game for me, relating to this topic, was the corndogs last TD. Their 5-9 200 lb running back (27), blocking on the play, knocked our #15 (30 lbs heavier) on his keister. The whole play was a microcosm of what is wrong with our D. ETN wasn't the only one who wouldn't mix it up physically by blocking.. same could be said for many on our D with Tackling. Not defending ETN, but my observation is its a team wide problem.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent

I got crushed on here for suggesting he was making business decisions after the Mizzou game… guess that sentiment has shifted on this board

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He was a gator at that point.coaches see it if you do. Sometimes it’s not needed to be pointed out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    To me it's a HUGE relief Napier saw the deficiencies and made a couple hires that appear to be close to home runs. I'm praying he grabs an OC and an elite ST's coach as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Have you ever coached at any level? To a point I agree with you, on the next level in every sport, there are millions of dollars stranded to get secrets from someone on their schedule the next year let alone a great player who knows the ins and outs of what he will do in any situation, what motivation tools, signs (which we use). Your point is understood and was never not a factor but if you think watching film gives you a playbook of which you can just read, that’s a big no. Ask Belecheck.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

No, I have not coached. However, I was involved in athletics and team sports in my middle school and high school years. Also, as an adult, I was involved with youth football league and a large High School football team. That does not make me a coach. However, I am not totally ignorant when it comes to the subject of my reply.

Please note that the I was referring to someone who posted about a former Gator. He said that this player was basically going to give his new team (a foe of the Gators) a lot of information. Basically the info in the Napier playbook.

I referred to the use of game film/video as an easily available resource. A resource that holds way more information than one former player can input and then later download to a new team.

You are correct that game film/video is not the only source of information. Yes there are a lot of unethical people that would love to delve into espionage and glean a wealth of information to sell to the highest bidder. Yes, millions of dollars are spent by people looking to cheat and to make short cuts.

Does that espionage replace game film? The answer is no. One reason is that some of the ill gotten information is overprice and it rapidly becomes dated as team strategy is always evolving. Another reason why the answer is no, is that current (and sometimes old) game film can give a good scout enough accurate info on the capabilities, weaknesses, and tendencies of teams and individuals.

Oh, did I tell you that I use to shoot game videos for both youth league and high school football games. When I was doing the high school games, I worked with 3 to 4 other videographers in a game. We all had certain areas of the field to focus in on. The coaches instructed us on what to focus on and where/what to follow from as the teams lined up at the LOS to when the play was dead. Almost every play had different views/aspects of a play. Every now and then, I got to sit in with the coaches when the reviewed the videos. These guys were like trained forensic crime detectives. They were OCD like examining and making notes on multiple aspects of every play.

No amount of espionage is going to get you that much information in a current and timely manner.

10. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Thanks for all the detail but it sounds like you agree with me.

11. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

I was responding to your opening comment on my background. I took that you were being snarky. Thus, I did a deep dive on my knowledge of this subject. My apologies for misreading you.

In my reply I should of addressed your "getting a playbook" comment. That would of made it clearer.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Wasn’t being snarky, on that comment it was a literal question because outsid, as I would assume you know that there is a difference between knowing the plays and when a coach would use them, reactions and general idea as to how he would aft and react that could come with getting someone who just left for that rival. Just more emm suckage.

13. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    The consensus seems to be that Etienne is a selfish traitor. Does that apply to Princely, McClellan, Mazzuccua and Jaydon Hill as well? When that many starters transfer out of your program (I know Etienne & McClellan didn't technically start, but they were both in the rotation at the positions and played a lot), with 3 of them going to rival SEC teams, doesn't that mean something is wrong? I'm just asking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Yes, something is wrong with college athletics. We’re not the only team who has players leaving in droves. We’re not the only team losing players in the two deep either.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    The difference to me is that the big-boys are replacing their transfers with guys who are just as good or better and we're not, IMO. Our portal rankings are worse than our high school recruiting rankings.

16. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    So far I would agree, but there is still some time left.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Love this!

Transfer portal must piss off older players who actually cared about the TEAM.

18. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    The big boys have also have playoff appearances to sell, and/or fanbases willing to pony up and buy the top players. We have a fanbase that sits back and bitches about someone else not spending enough money while constantly calling for all of our coaches and admin to be fired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Can you name another team that has lost 5 starters to the portal? If they have, I haven't heard about it.

20. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Yes everyone is losing players. The problem is we aren't taking SEC starters back in return.

• Agree Agree x 4