Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Travel warning to Florida?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, May 21, 2023.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Any society offers tyrants the opportunity to seize power. It's far harder to do so in a free society. I'll continue to support academic freedom. You can continue doing whatever it is you're doing.

You're the dude constantly caping for DeSantis in his wars against free speech.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    That's a fair point. I'll tell you how it starts though. It starts with dividing people and ostracizing great portions of the country.

Then, there's only so many ways of achieving unity:
    1. Clubbing the other side into submission
    2. Agreeing to disagree and amicably living our lives with a reasonable baseline mutual respect.

DeSantis is here because Democrats have made clear how they want unity.

You're the dude who has no idea why he's here and can't see any parallels between what he's doing and what your side is doing. At least I know and am willing to acknowledge that in an ideal world I don't like a bunch of the things that DeSantis is doing. You on the other hand have no apparent limit to your excesses, at least not that I know of. In a society where people respect each other for disagreeing and don't try to ruin their lives for speaking basic truths, this stuff is bad. But we're not in that kind of society right now.

And Democrats have a whole machine of intolerance of dissenting opinions in high office, on social media, in the streets, and in big corporate offices.

You seem to only find intolerance from government officials to be a problem, and even that is dismissed and trivialized by you despite its consequences.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    DeSantis is here because the Republican Party voted for and supports him. Don't try to pass the buck.

I know exactly why I'm here: to defend the First Amendment rights of professors and students, to safeguard their academic freedom.

What you're complaining about is freedom. Free speech means people can criticize you. Freedom of association means they can choose not to associate with you.

See above. The First Amendment restricts the government. It doesn't restrict your neighbor from telling you that your ideas are stupid and he doesn't want to associate with you anymore. In fact, it protects his ability to say and do that. Freedom.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Yeah, you're out here batting for the people who can help you score a political win. Why am I not surprised.

You know it's not a sign of virtue to wield the First Amendment for your own political gain (or financial gain). It's a sign that power is a Hell of a drug. It is a sign of virtue when you use it in a case where you have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Yeah, tell that to the Christian baker. Tell that to the California boards that have quotas in hiring minorities.

And the point is that you don't see a cultural problem when we live in a society where your entire life can be ruined just because you say something the mob doesn't like. It's like it magically becomes a problem when it's a government official silencing basic speech. That may be true on technical legal First Amendment grounds, but that's not true as far as the simple issue as to whether it presents a serious cultural problem.

And that's without even getting into you poo-pooing government threats on people/businesses for speech when I provide you examples. "It's just hot air, nothing every materialized, the system played out as it was supposed to."

DeSantis is about to demonstrate that you don't actually need to win in court or actually do much of anything frankly to shut people up. All you have to do is get them to make the calculus that speech in this manner is more trouble than it's worth. And that is how you shift the culture in your direction by taking advantage of the rules in place just as Democrats have little by little over the last several decades.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Some people just want the taxpayers to do their bidding... negative bidding.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I see you don't know Thomas Sowell and his very learned views on his real/true definition of racism. Too bad...

Last edited: May 22, 2023
  7. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    There can be no "great new civil war" without the Dems whipping up fringed hatred in America. That's why they need to teach these fading old ways of the past as if they were happening today. CRT and DEI has a purpose that is blunt, obvious, in your face and not at all ambiguous. It's to keep the hate and divisiveness alive and well for the Dems...

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    If you're definition of "shithole" is more freedom against communist ideologies/propaganda then you would be correct.

10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I'm not just out here batting for people who can help me score a political win. Academic freedom protects conservatives to the same extent it does liberals. You're so infected with partisanship that you can't even see that.

The Christian baker is subject to public accommodation and employment laws when running his business. He is welcome to associate or not associate with anybody he wants on his own time. I'm not even sure what you're talking about in California.

I don't see the problem with freedom. You may not like that private citizens have the right to criticize you and refuse to associate with you, but those are simply rights freedom provides.

And here you are, back to defending DeSantis's attacks on free speech. You love talking out of both sides of your mouth.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    That’s why their advisory is a joke.

12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So the chairman of the naacp isn’t elite. Oops.

13. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You do realize that CRT education is only taught in graduate level courses making it a red herring don’t you. Also diversity, equity, and inclusion are now a valued business practice founded on the principle that all people can thrive personally and professionally. I don’t know why anyone would have a problem with them unless they either didn’t understand them, or accepted without question they were bad things because they were told to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    N/M, waste of time responding to this. Carry on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have been reading most of your posts, and all I have to say is what the hell are you talking about? Or, more succinctly, they’re gibberish.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. magnetofsnatch

magnetofsnatch Rudy Ray Moore’s Idol Premium Member

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    Chicago is about 20x more dangerous for African Americans than the largest cities in Florida.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s definitely dangerous if you live in the hood. That’s why critical race theory is important to learn. The hoods don’t work. We need to get rid of them. They come out of low income housing which often is government mandated. Throw in a criminal Justice system and a prison system that need to be reformed. Sprinkle with crappy inner city schools, lack of affordable pre-schools and childcare. Add a dash of horrendous gun laws. Do nothing to address rampant illegal drug sales. Throw in inadequate health care and a lot of hunger. Mix them altogether, and what do you get? You get gangs running rampant in the hood and shooting plenty of people. The rest of Chicago is a pretty safe city.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    LMAO yeah so what is your point? They go to other Red states like Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and South Carolina.......Prove me wrong.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    He was taking a dig at in state football recruiting getting whipped by out of state teams. It was clever. Too clever for you I guess.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Righties always bring up Chicago when it’s time to pretend to care about the safety of black people lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1