Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Travel warning to Florida?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, May 21, 2023.

1. magnetofsnatch

magnetofsnatch Rudy Ray Moore’s Idol Premium Member

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    Bingo. Everything is about race with the left. You’d think we were living in the 1960’s.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  2. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    You can learn about slavery and Jim Crow in a Western Civilization class. I do agree that there is a balance to be had here. Yes, we should be free to discuss history. Nonetheless, I think it is looney tunes if someone is going to take the concept of free speech and say that a major with Nazi undercurrents and a Nazi interpretation of history has to be offered in our public universities. And then you can take that to another level by arguing that you're a Nazi if you don't support the free speech of the Nazi ideology major being taught at UF and funded by UF tax dollars. And then to hide behind that position by saying, "Well, it is just teaching history." Lol, yeah, OK.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If a state doesn't want to be considered racist, it shouldn't have a racist governor and be proud of it. And what does it say about the Republican Party that Florida's racist governor is second in popularity as a presidential choice only to a subhuman like Donald Trump?

But I should talk. I guess I'm a racist for being prejudiced against orange subhumans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. middleoftheroadgator

middleoftheroadgator All American

May 19, 2023
    What peer reviewed studies do you have to support this opinion? Please share.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Yeah, Michael Savage ranted about the left while his show was based in San Francisco. Fox News is headquartered in New York City. I suppose these sorts of examples call into question whether actions match up with rhetoric, but it doesn't seem that uncommon for people or business to live or do work in places that they heavily criticize.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    The first sentence is evidently true. Would you support a Minor Attracted Persons Studies major at UF that studied the issue through an oppressor vs. oppressed lens where Minor Attracted Persons were considered the oppressed class? What percentage of people do you think would support UF teaching such a major? I think it is close to 0. Do I need a peer reviewed study to know that? No I don't.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. magnetofsnatch

magnetofsnatch Rudy Ray Moore’s Idol Premium Member

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    After reading this thread I’ve determined that people’s definition of racist is much different than mine.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  8. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Righties love the 1960s tho, they say that’s when America was “great”

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Sorry I missed this thread, been out of town the last couple of days. That said I am not going to try to catch up, it took me all of 3 posts to realize this was just another racist thread from the left. Carry on fools.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. middleoftheroadgator

May 19, 2023
    Exactly. You know best, right?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    History is traditionally written by the victors. The problem with that is the losers who survive are often oppressed, and because of this, struggle to succeed as compared to the survivors of those who won. If our society is supposed to be equality for all, then we should listen, understand, and learn from both sides of history.

I have no problem with Civil War History classes, and teaching them from the perspective of both sides. This includes slavery and state's rights arguments from the Confederacy. How else are we supposed to understand what happened, why people who weren't even slave owners willing to fight and die for the South? And most importantly, how else can we prevent something like this from happening again?

And yes, these classes belong at a University, which exists not just to teach specialized subjects. But to teach complete education of a whole human being. If one doesn't want to learn more than just a particular subject or trade, then they don't belong at a university. Oxford defines university as

"An educational institution designed for instruction, examination, or both, of students in many branches of advanced learning, conferring degrees in various faculties, and often embodying colleges and similar institutions."
    While things like gender studies and African American studies may not produce as many high paying jobs as engineering, the world still needs all types. And needs to learn not just how to put things together.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  12. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    What peer reviewed studies do you have to support this opinion?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If you're the type of person who believes this, I don't want you moving to Florida.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. middleoftheroadgator

May 19, 2023
    Yeah. No. I'm out. No thanks.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    All the elite ones leave the state already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Free societies become tyrannies by tyrants exploiting the rules of a free society and stoking division between groups of people through things like race, religion, class, or some combination of the three.

Tyrants don't take control on their own, they have a whole group of people at their back who will willingly sign away their rights and freedoms just to beat the other side.

17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Brilliant thesis. Freedom is a threat to a free society, so government suppression of ideas is good.

Well yes, this is correct. But it actually undermines your argument.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    And with that, Contra becomes the first person to win an argument on the internet.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    The rules of a free society give tyrants the opportunity to create a climate to seize power.

I never said government suppression of ideas is good.

I think that we're pretty aware of the situation right now with politicians like DeSantis and Democrats. And I think I understand that we have to be careful, while Democrats are getting high on their own supply and don't see any reason why a guy like DeSantis came along.

One of us has a huge blind spot and it's not me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Always fun when right-wingers invoke the Nazis as justification for the government suppressing ideas and preventing people from being able to study and discuss societal discrimination. There are few better ways to undercut your own argument.

• Winner Winner x 2