Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Travel warning to Florida?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, May 21, 2023.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    If it’s such shythole, then leave. That’s the same advice DeSantis sheep give to any Florida resident who opposes him.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  2. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Comforting to know we've got gator posters that would blow up recruiting if they had the chance. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 5
  4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    What a sad load of horsecrap. As a UF alum, which I very much doubt you are, I want to see the University Florida do well in all things. Unfortunately, we have a Governor who appears hostile towards Higher Education. Or at best sees it as mere fodder to be used in culture war virtue (or vice) signaling.

Seems the NAACP perceives it not just as a general hostility towards academic freedom and higher education, but also that there is a perceived racial animus behind it. Are they wrong? Considering the targeted nature of these attacks, and the racist as hell gerrymander which fundamentally attacks their say in state politics. The grievance is not without merit. If recruiting were to be impacted (which seems a bit far fetched as of now), this would be an issue of your Governor and his acolytes who are more interested in scoring “anti-woke” points than doing good governance. Perhaps you should take this up with them?

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Traditional efforts got this group nowhere.

Is s travel advisory that best or only way? It has people talking that's for sure.

6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You don't actually believe this. I don't believe anyone is this dumb to believe that Florida is racist against Black people. Hell the Chairperson of the NAACP lives in Tampa. IF Florida was racist as hell and he advocates for warning blacks against coming to Florida don't you think that looks like a complete joke for living in the same place he says don't visit?

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    I'm sure it was just a drive-thru COVID testing service that happened to be set up in front of the club. You're making a rush to judgement.

8. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Right, because Napier would have nothing to come back to that with Alabama and Georgia. No hostility towards AA’s in those states.

Derrrrrrp…

• Like Like x 1
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It makes sense if you know what the acronym stands for, and the organizations original purpose dating back to 100+ years before basic civil rights were won.

Their mission is literally to point out and try to correct injustice against colored people. They have an obvious bias. Bias can be considered, but doesn’t necessarily make their position wrong.

Let’s say their “travel advisory” is over the top. The basis of the complaint is not wrong. Desantis is clearly trying to whitewash history and his government targets AA studies as ideological enemies (among others). Some might be inclined to argue we are just going for a “colorblind society” or that Desantis is just re-allocating precious resources. But that claim would be belied by this same governments racist as hell gerrymandering or his treatment of those former felons who tried to get their voting rights restored in accordance with state law (all of whom happened to be black).

10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Well no kidding.

But it’s still something I can see them obviously doing regardless of history. All of them will. Anything to gain an edge.

They’ll flash the current NAACP warning and say “is it rally safe to send your kids down there”. That’s it, they won’t spend much time on it other than using it to plant a seed in the minds of a recruit hoping to get a +1. You think Napier is going to sit down and go over the finer points of civil rights history in Alabama or Mississippi? Most likely on our end we just pretend it doesn’t exist or give the old “we don’t control what happens in Tallahassee” line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Imo, more than we think. Not because they received a email from NAACP telling them what to do, but the issue gets even more exposure and makes more aware of fla glossing over problems blacks faced throughout US history and also gov banning books a political grouping doesn’t like.

unless kids are having a fit to go to WDW, everyone always has a good plan b for a v.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    The NAACP hasn’t issued travel warnings for black folks to those states, have they? MAGA Meatball is going to go down as the worst governor in state history.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa's RNC was in 2012, they must have been getting a "head" start on testing.. When 2001 was "erecting" (pun intended) the tent shortly before the RNC it took up a huge chunk of their parking lot. Word was the media was staking out the local strip clubs for RNC delegates so 2001 put up the tent and advertised it as a way to ensure the delegates' privacy. 2001 had a reputation, whether founded in fact or not, for a lot of "extras" being offered in the flying saucer portion of their establishment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Coaches tell the parents of recruits not to send their child to Miami because the city is dangerous, but somehow DeSantis sheep think SEC coaches won’t use this to steer recruits away from the state of Florida.

15. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Amerika, love it or leave it!!!!

16. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Not Florida just our legislature and gov. They also are bigots and hate women.

Troubling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Saban and Smart would lose recruits if they brought up race. Every black family knows if their kid plays in Tuscaloosa or Athens, they’re going to hear a fair amount of racial slurs and see plenty of rebel flags. I’d imagine the only time Saban and Smart talk about race is if a recruit specifically brings it up and then they’re having to play defense and explain to those kids just to ignore it.

No matter how much you want it to, this isn’t going to impact our recruiting. It’s dumb to suggest it will and as you’ve already stated, the entire thing is stupid. What you do by latching onto this is give the idea that you are stupid too. And I don’t think you’re stupid. You’re just getting caught up in the tribal nature of the forum.

18. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Just turn the state's university system into a giant vocational school system, that's it. The right has gone so far anti-intellectual, anti-education it is pathetic. And that starts with the MAGA base.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    This reminds me of 2021 when MLB moved the All-Star game out of Atlanta and Atlanta went on to win the World Series, lol. Not a Braves fan, but I did rather enjoy the middle finger they gave to corporate wokeism and to the league betraying them over something they had nothing to do with.

20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL. That's like me saying All Dem Gov's and legislatures hate Christians. It's a stupid argument on both sides. It took me a while but I do realize both sides are full of shit. They both want power and money. You can try to make the dumb argument that your side is better but both sides are terrible. No sane person believes FL discriminates against blacks. Pure political play.

• Winner Winner x 4