Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Travel warning to Florida?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, May 21, 2023.

1. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Often but not always. DeSantis was a history major as an undergrad and he came away thinking that the issue of slavery wasn't the cause of the Civil War.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Listen comrade, maybe where you come from the state dictates thought. But this is America, and here in America there used to be this concept called freedom… extended to Universities as academic freedom. I’m not against steering more to STEM by any stretch. I’ve long said medical school should be made FREE to top students and we should create more med schools overall in this country (resisted by doctors orgs and lobbyists who want to tightly limit supply and keep pricing power).

Yet as i don’t share your commie ideology, I’m also not in favor of the state dictating away other courses of study people may find value in. It should mostly be determined based on supply and demand. If enough students want to persue a program, it should certainly exist. If there is not enough interest, perhaps not. This is true whether the study is African American Studies or Latin (I mean in Desantis FL you can major in a dead language but NOT AA studies… hello racist dog whistle).

Is African American History actually “grievance” studies, or just a more specific cultural study? Have you taken a course? What is this statement based on? How about Asian Studies? History in general? Political Science? Sociology? Religion? Philosophy? Or learning a current language? Just want to know which courses of study are still ok under your edicts.

• Winner Winner x 3
  3. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Nice to see the resident communists work so hard to make communism into something it isn’t. Maybe we won’t notice they are communists. They so smart.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    All those commies from California fleeing to Florida to be totally immersed in communism.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    that sounds like poor critical thinking on your part. first, being "wrong" need not be a sign of NOT applying critical thinking. Further, people can have the "right" conclusion without having applied critical thinking. Finally, you don't seem to be applying critical thinking. How do you know Desantis doesn't think slavery is the cause of the civil war? cuz he said so?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    Lol...so you think people are going to be gunned down and lynched because we don't teach African American Studies anymore?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was a history major. It had a lot of benefits that I still use today. But they are mostly soft (or semi-soft skills), and as the world gets more technical, needs from employees change to more specific hard skills, and it gets tougher to justify a liberal arts degree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    Lol, so I am a communist because I think the state should focus on funding degrees that teach employable skills? That is the funniest thing I have ever heard. Communists are the ones who want the education system to be used to teach their way of thinking. You are the one advocating for that, not me. Grievance studies majors do not teach skills that are useful to a future employer.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The NAACP issuing it as a “travel advisory” is a bit stupid, in my opinion. Since travel advisory implies a sort of imminent danger. Like traveling to a dangerous 3rd world county.

The one from the Latin American Rights group makes more sense. Since Desantis actually is in the business of extrajudicially kidnapping Latinos.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  10. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Yeah really don't care to get into some weird debate with you about critical thinking that has nothing to do with the thread. But DeSantis's high school students made a video about his take on the Civil War. And it's the same bullshit my high school history taught us -- the the CW was not about slavery.

Pranks, Parties and Politics: Ron DeSantis’s Year as a Schoolteacher

Another student who requested anonymity because he feared repercussions for his job said Mr. DeSantis’s takes on the Civil War were the subject of so much talk that students made a satirical video about him at the time for the video yearbook.

The video, which was reviewed by The Times, includes a short snippet in which a voice purporting to be Mr. DeSantis is heard saying: “The Civil War was not about slavery! It was about two competing economic systems. One was in the North. …” while a student dozes in class. (A student voiced the role of Mr. DeSantis, because students did not have any actual footage of him, according to a student who helped put it together.)

11. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    We need a yawn emoji

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I recall having a history teacher that listed the causes of the civil war, and slavery wasn’t one of them, but slavery was the underlying force affecting those causes. It’s a little chicken and egg to me. It’s clear that some flocked to that argument because it’s more palatable.

13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Is Desantis shutting down like half the majors at UF and shrinking down to just STEM? How about a cakewalk program like undergrad business school? That’s a high volume degree. Also rather worthless in the “skills” department if we are being honest. But UF isn’t a trade school, as someone else pointed out.

Targeting “woke” programs is an obvious dog whistle. I’m surprised your retort wasn’t “well what about White History”.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  14. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    The commies would like us to think so.

15. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    But this one is stupid. And that’s the topic of this thread.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Go to UF. Take out tens of thousands in student loans. Government will forgive your loans, but you won’t have any marketable skills when you graduate. Sounds like something right out of the manifesto.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    :emoji_thinking:

18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I think alot of people unironically believe both these statements to be true.

(a)the civil war was actually fought primarily over states rights
    (b)public schools are liberal indoctrination centers

19. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Yeah according to my HS teacher it was about states rights. But it's not chicken and egg. Slavery was the clear origin of the division that caused the Civil War.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    agree, I could see a hispanic warning though.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1