Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Travel warning to Florida?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, May 21, 2023.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I don't think social conservatism should be mandated, the problem is that it's not even tolerated right now so the playing field needs to be corrected.

Leftism right now is culturally mandated.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    How can you call yourself a libertarian and be repulsed by cultural hedonism? It doesn't make sense at all. As a leftist I can assure you that my beliefs are not "culturally mandated" I tend to keep them to myself for self-preservation most places I go. Of course by leftism you probably just mean a vague sense of decency and respect toward people different, which doesnt seem out of place with a 'libertarian' outlook IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Hedonism should be permitted but with a virtuous cultural core. A society that glamorizes hedonism while ostracizing virtue is a society in cultural decay set up for all sorts of problems.

Government's role in making that correction is complicated and largely contingent on government's role in ostracizing virtue in the first place. We need to be careful. There's a fine line between fighting to balance the playing field and completely shutting down and ostracizing hedonism. The latter is also bad, because that's not a free society.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I am not repulsed by cultural hedonism except as far is pushing it on minors. Adults can do whatever they want.

Every other part of this post either misses the point or is just plainly false.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    "I am a very serious libertarian. That's why I fully support using big government to punish private citizens who refuse to tolerate social conservatives. YOU WILL TOLERATE MY BELIEFS OR ELSE!"

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    What is a "virtuous cultural core?" Seems like a way of saying only certain people are allowed to be hedonistic, which I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that might be policed along class, racial and sexual/gendered lines. Wow, that sounds very much like the country we live in now. Congratulations, you achieved it!

7. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    When big government punishes and/or attempts to punish social conservatives, and you poo poo it, I'm in favor of fighting fire with fire against the same people who used government as a club to punish social conservatives.

Learn, or eat the consequences of your own standards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    What is "the club," and how are "social conservatives" punished?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Walgreens
    Chick-Fil-A
    Mandates to hire minorities (quotas)
    Christian baker

All of which involve government punishing or attempting to punish businesses for speech, silence; or they deny businesses freedom of association.

You have trivialized all of them.

And those are just four easy examples of government clubbing social conservatives. That's without even delving into the culture itself which is a much bigger elephant in the room.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I mean look how racist FL is. FL must be forcing blacks to work at much higher rates than NY.

upload_2023-5-23_10-27-54.png

• Winner Winner x 3
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Discussion happened awhile ago. I asked you for concrete policy changes that harmed them. You didn't offer any at that time.

Struck down. My outlook on racial quotas is that they should be constitutional if voluntary (for the same reasons Justice Marshall stated in California v. Bakke). They shouldn't be imposed on private businesses.

Public accommodation anti-discrimination law. You're welcome to oppose laws like the Civil Rights Act of 1964. But if that's your basis for abandoning your principles, people are going to give you the side eye.

12. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Did NAACP state that Florida is racist?

and yes it did just now happen with desantis banning books and requiring our public schools to gloss over the true history of blacks in our country.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  13. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Here is the quote:
    "Florida is openly hostile toward African Americans, people of color and LGBTQ+ individuals. Before traveling to Florida, please understand that the state of Florida devalues and marginalizes the contributions of, and the challenges faced by African Americans and other communities of color."

So we are clear, you think FL is openly hostile to African Americans? Just want it on record.

14. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    The Nazis were lying.

15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Spoiler alert, many people who claim self-defense of others to achieve their ends are or are high on their own supply and believe it. Anyways, they think its true, and who are you to say otherwise? That just makes you one of the bad guys. Anyways, I'm quite certain the Nazis did believe it (at least the ones that mattered), you cant commit those kinds of acts in service of something you don't believe.

16. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    if you want to teach black history, but you refuse to teach white history…then you don’t understand the term racism. What is next: Black Algebra?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Yep, I believe you used the word "hot air."

Here's one: San Antonio City Council bans Chick-fil-A from airport, citing 'legacy of anti-LGBT behavior'

The San Antonio City Council voted recently to block Chick-fil-A from opening a restaurant at San Antonio International Airport, citing what it called the company's "legacy of anti-LGBT behavior."

All that stopped California was money and federal law. Newsom was happy to stop doing business with any pharmacy who disagrees with him on policy.

Gov. Newsom Wanted California to Cut Ties With Walgreens. Then Federal Law Got in the Way.

“California won’t be doing business with @walgreens — or any company that cowers to the extremists and puts women’s lives at risk,”

So if the Florida legislature gets theirs struck down in court, no issue?

He didn't discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, he refused to provide service on the basis of the event he was catering for and the artwork which compelled the baker to create something that contradicted his values.

If a gay man came in asking for a birthday cake that just said "happy birthday," and he refused to provide the cake because the man is gay, you might have a point as far as a Civil Rights Act violation goes.

As expected, you continue to trivialize all of it without granting DeSantis the same courtesy.

So you know what? Learn or eat the consequences of your own standards. DeSantis will probably get struck down in court, and in which case I'll tell you exactly what you told me: "Struck down."

And if there are no cultural consequences to attempting this sort of thing, then you have nothing to worry about. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Ooh, name calling. Define racism and then let’s talk. Until then go back to your popsicle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Sorry but my leftism is not mandated by anyone, if it was everyone would be in a union and billionaires wouldn't exist lol. But again, you think state mandated leftism is a black Little Mermaid movie you pay money to view or a bank "celebrating" Pride month with a low introductory rate on a credit card. You are a "libertarian" getting mad at free market capitalism at work! State-empowered social conservativism to attempt to discipline the market against its own impulses is one response to that I suppose.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Not everyone. Just the ones who want to run things. You only believe in a different system of going about doing that. I genuinely want to be left alone.