Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Transfer Window w/ coaching change

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by garettk, Sep 20, 2024 at 7:52 AM.

1. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    Haven’t seen this mentioned (if so, mods please delete).
    But there’s apparently a rule the opens a 30 day transfer window for players who experience a coaching change beginning the next day. If this in indeed the case it complicates UF’s situation that much more.
    I could see the possibility of making an announcement of a coaching change with Billy serving the season out with official end of service date coinciding with end of season.
    Just another interesting nuance of the portal.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    I have also been hearing this on pods this week. I wonder about the kids that are worth worrying about couldn’t they see the writing on the wall and just decide to take a redshirt anyways?….

Apparently they read the message boards an are aware the Keffin will be the coach next year so what are we worried about?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    2025 is guaranteed to be a disaster no matter who is at the helm. There’s no way to stop the bleeding at this point. Hopefully with the right coach we can be competitive by 2026 or 2027.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    CBN is a lame duck coach and the entire sports world knows it. Every coach on the staff has one eye on where they will be next year, making calls and sending out feelers. I'd bet the majority of the players are as well so they're not caught without a chair when the music stops. And keep this in mind. If a coach comes from another school, chances are he gets coaches and players to follow him here so it washes out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Yep. Many have been saying timing is a key consideration . . . with several knives/clubs/flaming torches being juggled.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Does that mean that you can transfer AND play at the new school this year after a coaching change?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I’m not entirely convinced of that. The way things are set up now, you’re basically building a new team every year. Really good coaches can come in and whip up some tasty chicken salad. Hiring the right guy is imperative this time. The disaster year is this year, imho.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    something about closing barn doors after the horses got away

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think I agree. Long term, sustainable success will probably take even the best candidate some time. But I absolutely think the right coach (frankly several coaches probably could) make a substantial and very positive impact working the portal with whoever we have left, in just one off season. That'll get us where we want to be? No. But a big step up could be taken quickly--much more quickly than possible in the past. It's obviously no guarantee, but I don't think we have to write off 2025 just because. And honestly, what wouldn't be a step up from this year?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    We've been saying it can't get worse for a while now... and the football gods keep saying: "Hold my beer".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2009
    We are going to get raided. Accept it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yea, that and the redshirt rule playing in up to 4 games without sacrificing a year of eligibility.

13. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    As far as next year...
    I think a strong coach and an active NIL program can keep enough of the roster to give us hope.
    Then that same coach can attract portal players like a magnet and we can be decent.

My biggest worry is who we would attract- but it's clear that trying to find the next Billy Donovan just doesn't work for football.
    It has for b-ball. Billy D obviously is the gold standard, and Golden shows promise as well.
    For whatever reason- it doesn't seem to work for Florida football.

14. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    I’m not convinced of this. If Lane is the hire, most of our qb/wr/rb talent stays. I think our roster has talent, but is just not being developed properly. We also need a huge upgrade for strength and conditioning coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    billy D is the greatest coach this school has ever had in any sport. period end of story.

16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Stephen Orr Spurrier says hello

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. gatorgrad87

gatorgrad87 Sophomore

Oct 10, 2018
    He had knee surgery this week. If that's "holding himself out of games", he's taking it to an extreme.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    We have a bunch of talent on the team. It is not a team devoid of talent at all. We have a few holes to fill which could happen if a certain coach brings in a few of his guys and hits the portal smartly. We are probably a top 15 talent team performing like a bottom 15 (or worse) talent team. You are underestimating just how freaking bad the coaching and situational awareness are across the entire staff. Napier has done less with more than anyone could imagine and just continues to do the same quarter after quarter and game after game. He does nothing to get his team amped up and is nothing more than a lifeless mouth breathing blob on the sidelines. Get the right guy in here with an ability to work the X's and O's and we become a 8 win team...get a guy who is really good like Kiffin and our teams talent can shine rather than be hamstrung and youre talking about 9-10 wins in 25. BN and the staff is what is holding this team back...not the level of talent on the team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    A couple ways to look at this. First, it seems like the competitive fire has been beaten out of this team and their coaches.
    If players are essentially mailing it in for the rest of the season, what team is going to want to poach a guy with that kind of attitude.
    Or the other teams just look at the players recruitment and high school ratings and take who they want and figure the current situation is why they have piss poor attitudes.

20. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    It will be a cluster for sure. But ultimately I do not think it is as bad as anyone thinks. Yes we will lose players no doubt, but if we hire the right coach who kids want to play for, we will be a portal heavy team next season and probably 26 as well. Would probably have 35-40 new players next year. Portal is a 2 way street, anyone who leaves gives us the opportunity to bring in an immediate impact player

• Like Like x 1