Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Transfer Portal Thread (Other Schools)

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by INGATORSWETRUST, Mar 14, 2020.

1. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

There goes our next kick returner

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    What is the percentage of players who enter the portal and leave vs remove their name and stay?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Early signing period may change a teams takes too if they know someone like Bogle is coming their way. He will find a good landing spot if he wants to move on but the team offering may not be the same team a few weeks from now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    So many kids entering the portal that not everyone is going to find starter playing time. Nebraska QB entered the portal today. 3 year Captain and holds all Nebraska QB records. Lot of QBs looking for a one year landing spot.

5. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Never forget that the reason may be to get away from a girl. Or several.

And more things not to be mentioned.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Yea, the school he’s leaving is under no obligation to hold his spot for him while he shops around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I would be curious to know how many players entered the transfer portal at ULL under CBN..

I'm suspecting not many at all.

I'm sure we will have a few more hit the portal through attrition of some players not buying in to CBN's vision - which I'm fine with because it becomes a case of addition by subtraction as well as more schollys open for incoming players that want to be here.

8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Some people join the military and love it and some like turnover chains and their coaches wife twerking at halftime. It’s all in what each program offers and the kids know what their getting into. Kids know when they go to a school what kind of structure their lives are entering. If they want a turnover chain, they know where to find it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Or a backpack.

10. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Good question. Probably higher for kids in situations with coaching changes

11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Are you saying once a player enters the portal a school can use that ship for another player from the portal or on ESD, if the player that had entered the portal were still in the portal?

12. robgator

robgator Recruit

Nov 4, 2021
    i hate the portal...feels too much like pro ball

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Absolutely.

In this specific scenario, Bogle would probably still have a spot. He has a lot of talent, and football has a lot of scholarship slots. Kids playing these games in baseball or basketball can easily get left standing in the cold. Lots, maybe even most, of those slots are filled before the exiting player has found a new home.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How can one be left out so easily unless the staff is inviting another player from the portal to take the spot? Otherwise, the only way another player can get that spot is on ESD or thereafter, it would seem.

And to clarify, can a player enter the portal at any time of the year... I never picked up on whether or not there is a portal season or a limitation as to when a player can enter the portal.

15. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    You can enter whenever you want. When you’re eligible to play for your new team is based on the date you enter, but you can enter at any time. Bowman left Clemson and committed to us in the middle of the season, and I’m pretty sure I read that Dabo cut his scholly benefits immediately and he had to pay his own way to finish the semester, but that may have been someone else I’m thinking of.

In the smaller sports, a portal out is often quickly filled by a portal in. Very often this happens before the portal out has found a new home. Depending on the time of year, sometimes these spots are quickly filled by a waiting hs prospect who decided not to sign on signing day and see how things worked out at a few interested schools. Usually these are players that are fringe high major players. They might have a bunch of committable mid major offers and a few high major offers contingent on some other player(s) leaving the program ahead of schedule.

In football there’s a ton of scholly’s so if someone wants to come back, they probably can. The school is under no obligation to restore scholarship benefits once a player enters the portal though. If you enter and we don’t want you back, we don’t have to give you a spot if you later decide you don’t want to leave.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 All American

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Gonna need a guide on how to say that last name.

18. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    Would like to see us try something similar!

19. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Poo-mah-chon

only know it because i JUST fired up the vid of them playing Pitt this year and he got playing time lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. KSAGator

KSAGator Premium Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    I think we can safely say that Taisun is the best player of Laotian origin available in the portal this year.