Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Transfer Portal Thread (Other Schools)

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by INGATORSWETRUST, Mar 14, 2020.

1. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Yeah see….no. I support the team by going to the games. I can’t get into the concept of giving my money to kids for football instead of giving my money to my wife and my child for their needs. I just can’t do it. I buy merch, I go to games, I buy 25$ tall boys at the games….but straight giving cash…nope. Way too much money at the universities and business opportunities out there for me to justify it. The business opportunities are the sustained future of NIL anyways

2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't disagree....I have a similar philosophy. BUT, we can't complain about not buying an Evan Stewart if we have that philosophy. Because our pholiosophy is the exact reason we don't get him

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    My brother I will always complain about NCAA football turning into what it has become

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gatorpjb

gatorpjb All American

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    Here is at least part of the problem… I’ve had 2 season tickets for 40 years. My seats are not premium seats, they are in the north end zone. This year the booster fees (for the privilege of purchasing season tickets, not the tickets themselves) are 500.00 per ticket, and then roughly another 1,250.00 for the tickets themselves… for a total of around 2,250.00 just for tickets. Then the cost to travel, concessions etc.
    My booster fees are amongst the lowest required, but just using them as an example times the number of season ticket holders, you can see the UAA is bringing in a lot of money just from ordinary boosters.
    I get it it’s needed to fund the wide array of sports we compete in, but we still run a significant surplus every year, (the Covid year was an outlier for everyone) more than enough to have a major impact on NIL.
    The problem is that NIL isn’t being funded through the UAA, so myself and many, many others face the dilemma of… do we continue to attend the games, or do we stay home and funnel our money to the NIL programs… because most of us darn sure can’t do both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Billy doesn’t write checks so he has very little say so except expressing his desires.

7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Many are just getting their eyes pried open and are finally seeing what it has been all along. Those old enough to watch Spurrier did see something different but that disappeared a long time ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree totally on every point....it's a horrible situation and likely unsustainable for many schools. My one and only point is that we can't complain about a coach not getting a player due to NIL $$ because as things are structured right now that issue lies with the fan base and not the coaches.
    Now....I will say this. If 50,000 of our season ticket holders gave $50/mo to Florida Victorius they would have $30million annually to work with. And that's not counting money from the big $$ boosters. So while I get many find it problematic, that relatively simple solution would dramatically change the game for UF

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s happening but we don’t know to what extent. It would not surprise me at all if 30 mil a year was the payroll at all schools inter In actually trying to make the playoffs and have a chance to win. An nfl qb alone can make about twice that annually. College may not generate what the pros do but they do a significant percentage of what nfl teams do. In comparison, I’d think 30 is quite low in comparison as to what the nfl pays its players s the money generated. I think many would be shocked to see someone like Lagways bank account..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. gatorpjb

gatorpjb All American

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    You are absolutely correct, and thank you for the civil conversation.
    Coach Napier nor the coaches are at fault, but neither are the fans that are season tickets holders. (it’s a little bit disingenuous to blame an average person who spends north of 4 or 5k ever year on Florida football for NIL shortcomings )
    While it is true 600.00 a year x 50,000 would help to the tune of 30 million, it’s not happening… why ? Because rightly or wrongly ordinary season tickets holders largely see it as if they are already contributing significantly more than 30 million, if you use 2400.00 x 50,000.00 it’s 120 million. They either don’t understand that those monies can’t be used for NIL, or they see it as an unfair burden.
    My solution would be for the rules to be changed to allow the UAA ( or whatever body oversees the athletic department at a school ) to at least be somewhat involved in the disbursement of NIL funds.
    They could then add that 600.00 to my tickets, and while I would most likely complain, I would still attend. Some would be priced out, but it’s fairer and more viable than the system we have now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That would be optimal....but of course then it's not NIL its straight buying players. The problem moving forward is that the NIL genie can't be put back in the bottle ever again. Moving forward college athletes can be paid and there is no way to stop boosters from buying players. The courts would destroy any attempt to limit a kids earning potential. The one area I see that can help is drastically limiting transfers....that won't help with high school kids but at least the portal chaos and poaching would be mitigated

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorpjb

gatorpjb All American

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    To me it’s already straight out buying players, without having to admit it’s straight out buying players. You either play the system or you settle for average, at best.
    The transfer rules in place absolutely have to be tightened. College football as we knew it is gone, what went on with a wink and a nod is completely in the open now.
    I think a fairer, more equitable system can come out of it, but it will take some give and take, and some honesty and introspection on the part of agencies such as the NCAA, and the schools that benefit the most from the current system… neither have shown an inclination to do any of that.
    We’ll see. Thank you for the conversation, I think many will celebrate, but I’m finished.

14. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
  16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nope, he has more say than you think he does...

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He says who his desired players are. He writes zero checks. That’s all I’m saying. Sure, they checks get written to the players of his choice but he can’t control the amount of money available. If we can’t afford to outbid for a player, that’s that.

18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    True he writes NO checks, but he can and has stopped bad deals in the past... like the Reshada deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Max Johnson, min effectiveness in 4 years and 2 schools.

• Funny Funny x 1