Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Transfer Portal Thoughts

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by BobbyGator72, Nov 14, 2023.

1. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Schools have treated these kids as employees for decades: limit outside employment, limit majors they can take, full time (plus) commitment required, etc. All in service of coaches and conferences taking tens of millions with 2% of players making the nfl, the rest maybe having a degree (criminology, social sciences) of lower economic value and all risking their health with no insurance. NCAA wanted their cake and eat it too.

Problem is now they have offloaded “salaries” to alumni. Will they recognize the existential threat to the game the current system represents to fans who care about the university or will they pocket the money and bemoan the greed of players? We know the answer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Students have always been well-compensated for their athletic services. Lower standards for college entry, plus free tuition, housing, medical care, tutoring, physical training, sports equipment and attire (which is what they wear almost all the time), official paid recruitment trips, and free use of dedicated sports centers that are nothing but glorified vacation resorts. And, now, they can sell their name and likeness even though the requirement was that they be amateurs to play in the NCAA. I'm okay with all of that at this point, but, a contract to keep them from moving from job to job (i.e., school to school) is a completely appropriate commitment to ask of their virtual employees. Amateur athletics are, sadly, dead. So be it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    How do you, me, or anyone conclude they are “well compensated?” Is this not a market based capitalistic country? When the true industry they participate in (entertainment) makes billions of dollars, it is clear that amateurism became a foil to keep from sharing profits. This is especially true when the students were prohibited from working (nfl, outside) or transferring without sitting out (unlike coaches, ads,etc).

I am also sad at the way this is gone, but it went that way decades ago. I certainly don’t feel entitled to set the salary for folks in that multi billion dollar industry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Good points, and, I see no issue with including someone who essentially majors in football into free-market capitalism. But, I've always been curious how someone comes to the conclusion that an employee should be compensated based on how much his employer is making. Should a hamburger-flipper at McDonalds make millions because his employer makes billions, even though the employee took on none of the risk or financial outlay to develop or acquire the business? Logic says no. No business would survive that and continue to be able to provide employment to anyone. An employer is required only to pay a legal wage for a service. The labor market situation will work out the rest.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    In this case, the employer isn't really making billions either. Very few athletic departments operate in the black. Even fewer have multiple sports that operate in the black. The money generated by football is used to fund all of the non revenue sports, which are really negative revenue. It's used to buy the best coaches, trainers, staff, and facilities money can buy. The money is all reinvested into the program. It's not like there's some fat cat at the top swimming in gold. Of course the people who run the operations are paid, but don't act like these kids haven't been well taken care of for decades. A four year scholarship athlete likely receives upwards of a half million dollars in benefits over four years. Tuition, tutoring, housing, food, pocket cash, etc. The list goes on and on and on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Football income actually pays for more than just the football program and the other low-revenue sports. I believe I've read that it is also a major income source for the university itself here these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Our athletic dept is one of the few that operate in the black, and the AAU does donate a significant amount of money back to the academic side every year.

LSU is one of the few big programs that does not donate back to the school. Partly because the school complained they weren't getting enough, partly because they're LSU and they steal money from children's hospitals to pay athletes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    These are co
    These are college kids that didn't do the math on this one. 124 FBS teams, 1182 kids (who just entered the portalnot including those who were already in it.) That's nearly 10 kids per team and about half of those kids don't want to transfer to.

This article I read was spot on about the commissioners from the big10, big12,ACC, and SEC went to congress to ask them to step in and regulate to make national standard rules on what exactly it entails thay kids can profit off of NIL and the fact that each state has different rules and it causes issues when kids transfer to another state with a NIL deal that goes against the other states rules. Said this will new CFB will bankrupt many athletic departments and bring an end to CFB.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I think Billy’s prioritizing the portal this crootin season.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    A……Part, how many years of college?

11. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent
    I think this argument also gets used on working class people looking for fair wages too. The problem is the proportion. While agree most programs theoretically don’t operate in the black - the money IS there - HUGE endowments, coaches at small schools making 2-3 mill, tv money, conference money, lavish trips to Destin…. The money is there to spend SOME on the players. It would be like if I asked my boss for a liveable wage and he was like “but we have an amazing break room and all the food you could want etc”. CEO’s make 275x their workers now- it’s out of whack. Here in GNV the schools board admin is voting to give himself a 50k a year raise to 225,000 a year while teachers are making 30k a year. the money is there to create equity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    They’ve been spending “some” on the players, even before NIL. Read my post again. The best coaches, trainers, facilities, tutors, educations, etc, money can buy. Likely upwards of a half a million dollars worth of benefits for a football player that stays at a school like UF for four years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  13. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    An employer is only required to pay “a legal wage for a service”. That gets you McDonald’s service. You want to win the sec, a Super Bowl, or develop chatGPT, you gotta pay for talent.

If employers would rather talent go elsewhere and think they still win, great. Compete on your “great organization.” But reality is that in an industry based on talent, talent matters and people pay for talent. This is not McDonald’s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  14. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    I feel like it's McDonalds lately, and, we've been paying for Ruth's Chris, to be honest.

Back to Transfer Portal Thoughts, now...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. G8tr69

G8tr69 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    We need to be hitting the Transfer Portal HARD! There isn't a position that we couldn't upgrade! :):ninja3:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    You sure about that? Tell you what, do a little math problem, take ALL of his salary making him work for free, take that 225K and divide it up among the teachers to increase their salaries. There's probably a couple thousand teachers in Alachua Co. so that's a little over a hundred bucks a year each. It's a numbers game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Interesting story out there about portal receiver that liked Florida. Wanted to visit and possibly visit.

18. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1