Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

TP 12/26/23: The OTs- Any Updates on Kiyaunta Goodwin and Michael Tarquin

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Donzo, Dec 26, 2023.

1. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Would love to hear the explanation of benefits vs getting a free play to try something deep ala Aaron Rogers and green bay all those years

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I am still not sold on our OT or Tarquin as a return starter or our OL talent in whole. We need an injection of talent with experience. I think Leonard was our most consistent starter, and he doesn't have a high ceiling. Watching Torrence perform, it was obvious he was multiple levels above our other OL and covered mistakes of those beside him. We need more technicians with great athleticism like him.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    CBN signed 4 HS guys per class so far, he's doing OK there. I would have liked one more this year with Williams the only one left from 2022. Keep all 9 of the current HS guys through spring 2025, add 4 or 5 HS guys next year, then UF is in good shape with young OL talent.

Westphal was a big get and from what I understand Jones was looking real good in practice the last few weeks. High hopes for the young OTs.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    Who's selling Tarquin as a return starter? I'm advocating to bring him in for depth and to compete for PT. He sure would have been nice at RT this year... Complaining about a projected OT room of Barber, BCD, Tarquin, George, Waites, Jones and the two FR is myopic.

Leonard was the 3rd or 4th OL per PFF and ESPN raitings. Slaughter was easily the Gators' top rated OL. He passed the eyeball test, too.... If both Leonard and Mazz return, which is iffy, then the interior OL doesn't need an "injection". If one of them leaves then another vet would be nice, but maybe not needed. Lots of young talent in place looking for PT. Spring practice will clear things up.

Agree on Torrence. He was a 2.5 star CBN project that turned into a 2nd round draft pick. CBN's nine (9) HS recruits have similar skill sets and all of them were higher rated than Torrence was.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. gatordadx2

gatordadx2 Premium Member

Dec 24, 2017
    well seeing how we normally keep 15 OL and we are at 16 we will need to have more attrition before we can add talent . we can go over the 85 man roster until fall but will have to have players leave in spring portal

6. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Slaughter improved a lot over the year and obviously is an intelligent guy. However we can't just have a team that knows their assignments. Our PFF grades across the line were horrible, while i will admit PFF are not that meaningful overall. None of the OT you listed has shown to be a quality SEC OT. Barber looked like he would in 2022, but injured or not this year he showed very poorly on speed rush especially. We need tons of development and some talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    Other than your coments about Slaughter's improvement and intelligence, nothing you said was accurate.