Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Top end quality players

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by twodaparty, Dec 19, 2023.

1. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Sure, if his transfer record were better thus far. I have found myself struggling to reconcile the fact that we are so far over the scholly limit while simultaneously lacking depth. Would that not suggest we are very far from implementing this suggested strategy? I guess if it is a change in course it will take a long while to see fruits, good luck getting there.

Addendum: Would this also not be counter to his stated goal of signing 25 out of HS?

2. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Clemson yes, UGa no....they had the #1 or 2 class in the country after Kirby Dumb's first year and have been in the top 5 ever since. I think they even set the most 5 star record in one class in one year.

3. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Only 6 schoalrship seniors alters numbers even with portal departures. Not sure what you mean by "so far over th scholarship limit", since we have never been that

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    United States
    I used the overall rankings which include transfers.

5. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    We needed significant portal departures to be able to even just sign the HS class, not sure how that is confusing. It comes down to a lack of depth, at least generally agreed upon around here, yet still having a full roster. Doesn't seem to add up. The only explanation is a lot of dead weight.

6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    We have a very young team that will experience growing pains. They have weeded out much of the dead wood and attitude problems but not like you have a lot of two year starters in Billy’s system

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. kes

kes GC Hall of Fame

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's not confusing, it's exactly what I said. But we aren't over the limit, because it's not possible to be over the limit. NCAA rules and all.
    Of course there is dead weight, every team has some....and UF had more due to Mullen leftovers and a transition class that created some of that extra dead weight. I mean, we all know that right? This isn't anything new

9. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    Semantics, we had more than 85 scholarships between roster/portal/HS recruiting. BN has added plenty of the dead weight which is why I have trouble believing that he has implemented a strategy of only adding impact players. Sounds to me like a excuse as to why the HS class is dwindling + limited movement in portal adds thus far.

To be clear, I myself strongly advocated only adding impact players a while ago. So, just as a strategy for talent acquisition, I'm 100% on board. I would much rather UF portal 4-5 SEC starters vs 10 "depth" pieces.

10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol....uh no, high school recruits don't put you over roster limits. That's not semantics that's the real world. That's just a non starter in a serious discussion.
    Certainly Napier has added some dead weight, as I said that is often a trait of transition classes. And like every school on the planet there are misses, nobody evaluates perfectly.
    You make a "strategy of only adding impact players" like going to the grocery store. Of course it's not that simple,there are guys that don't work out like Kamari, there are guys that staff misevaluated like Farmer, there are guys they rated correctly that left for other reasons like Douglas. But of course they want to sign pretty much exclusively impact players, that's true of every staff. And as a side note, impact can differ dependent on a roster/scheme/timing.
    Nobody wants to lose some of these HS kids, but that's recruiting. UGA doesn't want to lose Raiola. And UF doesn't have limited movement in the portal.....they have picked up some key peices and have more lined up. I realize you hedged with the "thus far", but you are still making a criticism of what you recognize is an incomplete picture. Let it play out then lets evaluate.

13. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    United States
    We now have 9 teams ahead of us in the 247 per player average.

Georgia
    Ohio State
    Alabama
    Texas
    Auburn
    Florida State
    Oregon
    Texas A&M
    Tennessee

Florida is currently at 91.00 even (includes LJ McCray).

15. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    we just landed arguably the top D and O player in this years class. We also have some solid trench help on both the O and D. IMO, our class, coupled with some of the young talent from last year, puts us in a good spot to surprise some people in 2024. I'm looking forward to next year and I'm hopeful we turn this around.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent
    It really is the lens you look at it
    1. If you look at it from the lens of, five straight losses, not knowing when to have 11 men on the field- then all you see is losing the safety to Texas and losing the defensive lineman to Georgia and Napier on the hot seat

2. But if you look at it through the lens of- - They got kids that want to be at the University of Florida, they have one of the best evaluation staffs in the country and that's been proven over and over again, Napier knows about the quality human and athlete he's bringing here then you see
    the cornerstones of the class in Dj,
    , LJ ,Graham - that's your 5 star QB, Lb and DL- you BUILD AROUND THOSE GUYS
    They got 3 4 star WR's in Jerrae Hawkins, TJ Abrams and Dyke who had played with Mertz.
    You steal a Rb from Bama in Baugh and get what insiders are saying is the best back in Daniels
    You change strength coach
    You hire a DL coach that is getting huge raves from Carlos Dunlap and BJ OJALAREI AND ORGERON

You lose Filssime but still get a good safety 6'4 Smith

You lose Princely but you bring in Slackman and Taylor who can play right away
    You bring in 3 OL that could be REAL GOOD PLUS and instant transfer starter who bunch of teams wanted
    You get rid of Raymond who hasn't done shit and bring in Will Harris

There is a lot to love

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Boone will be a big boost and is a leader.

• Like Like x 2
  18. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, gotta get healthy again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

We also know that teams are over the limit after NSD. That they have to jettison players before the next year starts. It’s called over signing and it’s been going on forever. It’s where grey and black shirts come into play if needed.

How we get more players and stay under the limit is going to play out.

20. DeepPurpleGator

DeepPurpleGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2007
    People forget about him. He's good!!