Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Top Democrats resigned to Trump presidency

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by l_boy, Jul 17, 2024.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

They could have had the courage to run a competent challenger and had a legit primary.

Not making tough decisions is spinless

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. tilly

Come on in. The water is fine!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    stroke of a pen. same team, office, fax machine, lease,... transitions to new candidate as a successor and assign assuming there isn't an election finance issue i don't know about. hold an open primary at the convention. Two votes. % nominees, top 2 runoff. winner gets the machine. This isn't difficult. Go get anti-trump partners or money to add to team/bank account to form a pro dem/anti-trump coalition to not fug it up

4. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    DNC has for a long time rigged their primaries and nomination process. Not sure why anyone would ever think to accuse them of rigging an election.

5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    medical disability...doctor's note

6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    correction, the people around Biden have done a good job.

the cabinet and experience doesn't need to get replaced but the team needs a new leader. that leader should be decided at the convention

• Like Like x 1
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    and I was having a good day..damn man

8. tilly

Is Michelle not interested in office?
    As much as I wouldnt like it politically, I think she would be a rockstar candidate and would fire up the left in spite of the short turnaround. It seems Democrats would like it if for no other reason, it puts her husband in the WH again.

9. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    There are major campaign finance issues for things that need to be paid for in hard money (i.e. the campaign itself’s cash) if the replacement is anyone other than Harris. They’re both on the campaign account so she could take it over, but if anyone else walks in they’re essentially starting from scratch on the hard money side (where the Biden campaign currently has about $90 million sitting).

The campaign account can’t be transferred to another candidate, and the campaign account has giving limits on trying to transfer funds to another candidate (as in the limit is a few thousand dollars). The campaign account could get converted to a PAC, but the PAC would likewise only be able to give a few thousand to the new campaign and then it would have to spend the rest of the money on issue ads instead of actual candidate advocacy.

They could transfer the funds to the party committee, but the party committee could only directly give a few thousand of it back to the new presidential campaign committee and is subject to coordinated party expenditure spending limits if they try to use it to pay for things for the presidential election.

Where this creates a problem is that there are things the campaign needs to be able to pay for itself out of hard money funds, and it’s tough to refill that hard money bank very quickly when hard money donations have strict contribution limits.

And to the extent they try to give stuff they’ve already paid for to a new candidate, there are likely issues with them constituting in-kind contributions in excess of the limits.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    The ole saying be careful what you wish for comes to mind.

11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Go Faux yourself. I heard it reported on a couple of other sources - including Axios. I just chose this link because it was most descriptive.

Posts like yours are no different than the “NY times” eye roll posts. But go ahead and slink back into your bubble.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Yes, she would fire up the base but has said repeatedly that she is not interested in returning to a political life.

13. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Could the campaign not buy ads for the new guy? I doubt campaign laws control what is said in a political ad (do they?) as long as its Joe’s voice at the end saying he approves.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    They would have to meet all of the FEC’s tests to qualify as an “independent expenditure” to do so without qualifying as an excess in-kind contribution to the new campaign, which would probably be very difficult to do.

And yes, some of those tests do relate to the content of political advertising (expressly advocating for the election or defeat of an identifiable candidate is part of the “content prong” of the test for whether it qualifies as an independent expenditure, and there are also tests relating to the funding and requiring a lack of coordination with the candidate, which would likely be very difficult to meet).

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You're right. I shouldn't have posted that smart a** comment. I've deleted it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They have no choice but to publicly support him for now, while working to replace him behind the scenes.

18. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    She’s great so of course she wants nothing to do with it. That’s kinda the problem with the position of POTUS. To even want the job requires a certain hubris that is going to turn a lot of people off no matter how it’s packaged.

• Like Like x 1
  19. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My fear is that we get past the convention with Biden ss the nominee and then he has a stroke, heart attack or disabling fall. What then???

No options.

20. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Doesn't that apply to every presidential election?