Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Too Hot Investment Thread

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by channingcrowderhungry, Feb 11, 2021.

1. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic All American

May 13, 2021
    IMO I think you need to look at Berkshire as basically a mutual fund more than as a singular company stock.

I may have missed some of your previous posts on the subject, but I think the best advice is stop worrying about individual stocks and stick with index ETFs. They’re cheap to own and history proves it’s better in the long run than buying and selling individual stocks.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Out with it!

You can't just drop the "my penny is about to pop" stuff without at least giving a ticker!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I didn't want anyone to think I'm pumping something. It's been quite the 5 year ride. The ticker is ECSL but that will change when they go public. Here is the latest from the prez and a virtual of the land they are closing on this month once they get the storage facilities in place

Phase III rendering

CyberFuels, Inc.
    January 3rd 2022
    Dear Shareholders,
    As we end a significant year for CyberFuels, I am so excited about what is coming for us in 2022. From coming to agreement on 10 parcels of land, including two parcels of land rights, that even the seller said to me, “is the most complex transaction in my career,” through the massive due diligence that CyberFuels management team undertook with stellar help from our outstanding Project Engineer’s team and our fabulous team of lawyers, we reached the “Go” decision to move forward with the sale. 2021 has been hectic, but instrumental to CyberFuels growth and future.
    We are now, and have been, moving forward with 3 of the best lenders that we uncovered over the months of due diligence. Candidly, but not out of the question given the complexity, those lenders could not move as fast as we wanted to close the transaction in 2021 (even they were hit by Omicron and short-staffed over the last month), but we are expecting to close as soon as we can in 2022. Last week, we verbally accepted an extension with the seller, but due to the Holiday and travel schedules, today, we have signed a new extension with the seller to February 28, 2022.
    We have also built a strong relationship with our new additives’ supplier who, besides other beneficial factors, is more conveniently located for us in Florida, and who will also store our gasoline and diesel additives, ready to ship as our orders continue to grow. However, our focus remains clearly on closing the terminal while expanding our fuel and additives business. Our future is bright. We can’t wait to begin building CyberFuels new terminal and increasing additives sales in 2022.
    As you may know, Ron, has been out for several days with COVID 19. You have been so supportive in this very strenuous time, but with your help and with God’s Will and Blessings, we have made it.
    Ron and I are looking forward to making 2022 a great year for our stockholders. And, as always, thank you for your support to date and we look forward to working with you and for you in the New Year and years to come. I will share more information as it becomes permissible.
    Happy and Healthy New Year's to you all!

Sincerely,
    John Lawrence
    President / CyberFuels, Inc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CyberFuels, Inc. | Website

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Thanks! I'll dig in a bit.

5. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Yep. They have traditionally done better than most mutual funds. They are passively managed and so have a very low expense ratio. I’ve begun moving into them (S&P 500) and will continue to do so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AlfaGator

AlfaGator VIP Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I believe the CPI number tomorrow will come in under the 7.3% forecast.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
  8. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
  9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Yes but it mentioned Chinese demand was down. Not sure why

10. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    I have some ETFs, Berkshire was just a little confusing with the A vs B thing. My main stuff is in my 401k which is a series of Funds, etc. (Through Transamerica) This is strictly for "fun" and learning :) I do feel like I've diversified but maybe just have too many little bits. For now I'm leaving things alone for a bit & watching how things rise & fall. I'm glad I resisted the temptation of the "meme stocks" & also don't have any meta, Peloton, etc. *phew*

I'm not wealthy enough to attempt the whole "margin" stuff, though. That's scary. Still trying to learn terms like calls, puts. Lol.

11. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    This is for you & @slightlyskeptic ....any particular ETFs you like for longer term? I'm currently in QQQ and SPLV. Don't think it's an ETF but I do also have Barrick Gold.

• Like Like x 1
  12. slightlyskeptic

May 13, 2021
    Take it from someone who found out the hard way, with the stock market it’s always better to walk before you run. You were smart to not get tempted by the meme stocks. Many more people will lose their shirts than hit it rich like the ones who get all the press. I used to dabble in puts and calls and made more than I lost but I realized that was more out of luck than being savvy. You can really get burned if you don’t have a good handle on it. I also took some flyers on a few penny stocks back in the early 2000s but in retrospect it was just like throwing money away. After some hard lessons I finally admitted to myself that I don’t know what I don’t know and stuck with a few index ETF like Vanguard total stock market and S&P 500 and rode out the ups and downs. That and some stock options I got from a couple start ups I worked for allowed me to be able retire in my early 50s and go back to school to do something different. Slow and steady wins the race in IMHO. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. slightlyskeptic

May 13, 2021
    I have quite a bit of QQQ, VOO, and and several others diversified in a few sectors like health care,and energy . I also have total bond fund, and some I bonds to fight inflation although the government doesn’t let you buy too many of those. I’m also keeping a fairly large amount in cash at the moment as dry powder and safety.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    I have piggy banks full of spare change. LOL. I'd looked at VOO but there was such a long list of ETFs I was getting cross eyed. I forget what the 401k is in specifically- I just have it set to Moderate risk *shrug*

I have bits - a few microchips/computers, auto/tech, couple retail, medical/research, the Barrick, Berkshire. Don't see or get how folks make money on penny stocks. Never heard of the companies I've seen at those ranges :)

I've at least managed to stay growing even with the big drop recently. So yay :)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Yes, get rich slowly. Great advice. Good companies with management that has considerable skin in the game. No or low load mutual funds and ETFs or Index Funds. Wife has some QQQ and has done well with it. Apple has been good to us though they pay diddly for a dividend.
    Since retirement, I have put some money into income producing stocks and using some of the dividends to fund 529 college funds for 3.5 grands. The dividends in that account average 3.3% although nearly every one of them was a loser today.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  16. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Ok so yay getting a tax refund & with enough left that I'm thinking doing a separate Roth. Obviously Robinhood doesn't offer them. Went with SOFI to get an all in one banking etc but their app/ui is ridiculously cluttered & not very useful, it's hard to find stuff, etc.

So....for a similar type of system (all in one) thinking of transferring to Fidelity? Schwab seems....daunting. Like that's Big Boys & I'm a small fish. LOL

Still doing good on Robinhood though. Just no IRA/Roth. And yes I've come around to at least doing a Roth. Can't hurt even if it's small dollar amounts.

Learned drips...now completely baffled by calls/puts, and Leveraged ETFs vs inverse leverage *facepalm*

17. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Fidelity is a great choice, IMO.

I have accounts in TDA, Fidelity, Vanguard, and E-Trade. I like fidelitys interface best and they have great low fee funds, as does Vanguard.

I'd definitely put a Roth into any of these before Robinhood. My $0.02

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have my largest account with fidelity. It gives me the most flexibility in funds, ETFs, stocks etc. it’s also got a lot of really good tools to help you chart your path and progress.
    I also have one with wealthfront as a hedge against my decision making since it’s a robo account, and s couple of other scattered ones.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Maybe as my portfolio grows I'll move out but I'm really liking how simplistic it is. I'm not good at this & came in knowing zero. My worry was this was spare change & I could do fractions. But the Roth definitely needs to go elsewhere. Hearing good things about Fidelity

I see some of you have multiple accounts. There's free stock offers from a lot of places so is this how you guys build up in different places? I didn't want to have too many accounts but free stuff is free stuff *shrug*

20. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I'm in multiple institutions mostly as the result of rolling over 401Ks. At times leaving them where they were and at times trying a different brokerage.

I do stupid stuff (penny stocks), so I stay in multiple places as they each have their own pros/cons.

All under one roof is easiest, I think, both for investment and tax purposes.

• Friendly Friendly x 1