Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tobacco Chewing

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by gatorfan5220, Apr 2, 2023.

1. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Is it on the way out in baseball?

I remember some time ago the bulging cheek of Nellie Fox and his spitting.

Ugh.

2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think Big League Chew is still around as a gum based alternative. Invented by guy on the Portland Mavericks A team.

3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

MLB banned several years ago, with some grandfathering and so did the minor leagues.
    A few years back they made the ban all inclusive.

No tobacco in MLB dugouts or fields of play.

So to answer your question, it is already out.

What you are seeing these days is sunflower seeds. If you ever get close to an MLB dugout after a game, you will see a half inch layer of seed shells everywhere.

Players spit them like their predecessors did tobacco.

All the middle schoolers on my sons team do the seed thing to imitate the big boys.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    I enjoyed it all during my adult softball career. LOL. was a user mostly of Levi Garrett when it was available. Used to get a pouch for $3.00-$4.00,but last time I saw it at the store was about $12.00- $13.00 a pouch! Gave it up in 2013 though, cold turkey.
    GO GATORS!!!!

5. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tried it when I was about 13-14 yr old, mistakenly swallowed some, threw up. Made me sick. The brand was Red Mule. Went to Bazooka bubble gum after that.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. flgatr1

flgatr1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    jacksonville, florida
    Very bad habit as it very often leads to throat or mouth cancer. We should all strongly discourage it.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My friend said in Nam they chewed and didn't swallow the juice but some would seep down and settled his stomach from the bad stuff they ate sometimes.

8. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    The no tobacco policy has been around MLB since the late 1960s but a few guys regularly skirted the policy for years most notably and humorously the Earl of Baltimore... Earl Weaver. I remember he would smoke openly in the dugout whenever cameras panned his way and once...in 1969, Weaver was tossed for smoking in the dugout. Weaver was a well-known heavy smoker. Earl being Earl, argued vociferously against the ejection but to no avail but not before he shot the bird a few times to the umpiring crew.
    During the finale of the series, he walked to home plate to exchange line-up cards, sporting a candy cigarette in his mouth- in open mockery of the umpire’s decision. I remember that incident as a young kid.
    You ball fans may remember, Weaver called Don Stanhouse his top closer in the late 1970s… "Full pack” for Stanhouse's penchant for walking guys before wiggling out of pivital innings- as Weaver nervously smoked one after the other in the tunnel. Stanhouse was monikered "Stan the Man Unusual." Can't make it up. We’ve lost bit of character over the years, haven’t we?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Agator88

Agator88 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 7, 2014
    In high school we had maybe 3-4 guys that dipped or chewed. When I hit college, it was probably 25 out of 30 guys. Never had an umpire say anything about it in game.