Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tim Wakefield - R.I.P.

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by 62gator, Oct 1, 2023.

1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. G8RKrackin23

G8RKrackin23 VIP Member

Nov 29, 2018
    Mossyhead
    RIP

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Gone too soon. May he Rest In Peace.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I believe his wife has pancreatic cancer. A tough draw for the family.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Just 4 months after Tim dies of brain cancer (sucks!), his wife Stacy dies of pancreatic cancer (sucks!). They leave behind 2 teenage kids, just unimaginable for them.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Extremely sad story.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Very sad.

Will there ever be another great knuckleball pitcher in MLB?

8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Agreed and that’s a great question. As a primary #1 pitch like the knuckleballers of old—I would have to say that I would be surprised.

In today’s baseball world I don’t even know if the ever important baseball analytics would back it enough to allow it…..probably something more like Waldrep’s splitter will surface again, but I don’t know.

9. FatG8r

FatG8r VIP Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Merritt Island
    I knew Tim back in the day. Very unassuming dude and a good guy to hangout with. i'm 2 years older than him and was at UF then. Over the summer we would play travel softball and he, another friend and myself would warm up throwing knuckle balls to each other. Ours were really good but we couldn't throw a baseball consistently like he could. Quite a few knuckle balls would be thrown in from the outfield pissing off the cut man.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Many pitches from the old days are now illegal. Spitter and shineball were legal way back when but no longer. The knuckleball is the one old school (talking over a century ago) weird pitch that is still legal.

I had a good one and a 90+ mph fastball. Too bad I had totally different deliveries for them.

11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

That’s pretty cool. I think everybody that’s ever played has toyed with or tinkered with throwing the knuckler…I know when we were coming up the circle change grip/release had not yet come out. The first two off speed change of pace pitches I remember being shown were the palm ball and the fork ball. Lol, we were told you didn’t mess around with the knuckleball until you were older and your arm was fading….

My Dad taught me 4-seam, 2-seam, 12/6 curveball, and screwball. We would “play” with palm ball and the knuckler when we were done working and just cooling down.

• Like Like x 1
  12. polkgator

polkgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    When I tried to throw a screwball it really put a lot of stress on my elbow. It had some movement but I had success throwing both types of fastballs and a change up. I messed with a knuckle ball but my arm slot was 3 quarters with it and everyone knew it was coming. I would occasionally throw it first pitch because I knew the better hitters I would face would take it. I thought it would make my fastball look harder and a could throw it for a strike most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. g8trdave

g8trdave It's Great to Be a Florida Gator!!! VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Either the first or second season of the Gwinnett Braves (before they became the Stripers), Tim Wakefield pitched a rehab start at Gwinnett. I had a 20 game season pack that year and was able to go to that game. My seats were right behind home plate, but up the stands a little. Went to the game and saw this really white-haired dude sitting a couple rows in front of me. Sure enough, when he turned around, it was Phil Neikro! Greatness coming to watch greatness. One of my fave baseball memories.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

That’s really cool—Over my lifetime I have gotten to see Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan, Bill Singer, and Steve Carlton—all in Atlanta vs the Braves. That story told, in mind of your post—in 2007 we were in Trenton NJ watching Alan pitch for the Thunder and three rows in front of us was a white-haired man watching the game. I finally had the chance to see him from the side when he turned his head—it was Bill Singer former MLB pitcher for the Dodgers. I had the chance to meet and talk with him. He was scouting Alan for the Dodgers…..We had a great conversation (for me anyway). He was outstanding the night I saw him pitch in Atlanta and he saw Alan on a great start for the Thunder the same year Alan won the MVP pitching award.:cool: Great memories.

• Like Like x 3