Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tim McCarver (R.I.P.)

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by 62gator, Feb 16, 2023.

1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Wow, I wouldn't have guess he was in his 80's. I really liked him. RIP Tim McCarver.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I remember the clown Deion poured water all over him in the Braves lockeroom during an interview.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Never a Dieon fan,,but didnt McCarver trash him all series in the broadcast booth? Or something more to it than just pouring water on him in a already soaked club house celebration.

5. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Yeah it was something like that .

6. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    McCarver absolutely called Luis Gonzales's Series winning bloop hit off of Mo Rivera in 2001 before it happened. He was amazed at the hole Derek Jeter left playing in to prevent a bunt that Rivera couldn't get to and sure enough, Gonzales hit it right to where Jeter would normally have been.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Funny McCarver quote I just saw.
    "Bob Gibson was the luckiest pitcher I ever saw. He always pitched the days the other team didnt score"

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Pulled from quora, so TIFWIW.

What started the feud between baseball player Deion Sanders and announcer Tim McCarver?

It all started in October of 1992, when Deion Sanders, a two-sport star, announced that he was going to play in an NFL contest that Sunday with the Atlanta Falcons. But, why was that such a big deal?

Because Sanders also played for the Atlanta Braves at the time, and the Braves were in the midst of the National League Championship Series versus the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Braves had a game scheduled for that same day.

A lot of hullabaloo ensued. A helicopter was rented. The whole world, it seemed, was in the loop on exactly how Deion Sanders was going to play in two major sports at the highest level in the world in the same day.

Well, CBS broadcaster Tim McCarver thought this was grandstanding and didn’t like it one little bit. And he let a national television audience know he didn’t like it. Here’s what McCarver said on air, live during the telecast:

“How can he leave in the playoffs and go play in a football game? . . . The way I look at that . . . that is just flat wrong, and I guess could be construed as a breach of contract.”

When Sanders got word of the criticism, it didn’t sit well with him. So when the Braves won the LCS, he used the celebration as an excuse to douse water on McCarver. Not a glass, not a bucket. . . but a water cooler. According to reports, Sanders tried to drench McCarver three (3) different times, and succeeded twice.

On TNT’s NFL postgame show a few night’s later, Ernie Johnson sat down with Deion Sanders and discussed the situation. Sanders made light of it, much to McCarver’s chagrin:

“How can you be a coward for throwing water on someone? The guy just didn't want us to win and we did. He just got a little wetter than anybody else. . . He's flat-out ignorant. He's more of a coward. I never met the man, and I never spoke to him in my life. We were just having a good time.”

Only one of them (Sanders) appeared to be having a good time.

The National League fined Sanders $1,000 for the incident. Sanders has never apologized.

In the nearly 30 years that have passed since the confrontation, Deion has only commented about it once, the above-listed quote on TNT. He has been asked multiple times about the fracas with McCarver but has declined to comment. The silence only tends to fan the flames.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    ^^ yeah I recall being on Sanders side in this, albeit reluctantly

Bo was just watching like..whats the big deal..lol ;)

10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    On a positive note TM’s classic mound visit with Bob Gibson comes to mind—McCarver gets to the mound and Gibson looks at him and says “get your ass back behind the plate—the only thing you know about pitching is it’s hard to hit!”

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    REST IN PEACE Tim McCarver. Prayers to your family and friends.

• Friendly Friendly x 1