Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This is on the coaches

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by uf1998, May 21, 2024.

1. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Very true, but I think posters that throw out crap deserve to be called on it. That usually doesn't happen as other folks move on/forget.

I still recall several posters here saying what a great job lsu coaches had done improving their team's performance during the season, while ragging on Sully/Gators tho both teams had the same sec record and the season wasn't even over.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    gtr2X, I remember that as well. Reminding people of their erroneous observations is all well and good but we are most interesting when we have different perspectives. I learn a lot here.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I’d like to see his arm slot a bit higher. The slider has turned into a frisbee because it’s not coming off the fastball. His fb is getting hit way too hard . His leg drive is not in harmony with release point : I see the right shoulder fly vs staying tight and tucked. So bottom line all of this is creating some frontside leakage

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Spot on critiquing his mechanics Chap—truthfully I think his pitching only matters to UF though.

I believe his total improvement with playing first base along with his bat makes him a bona fide first baseman at the MLB level.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Yep, has become an excellent first baseman with good range. Tall and a lefty to boot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    I try never to have an overly negative reaction to any post from someone expressing disappointment that the team is not performing as well as expected. I didn't expect this team to be nearly as good as the '23 team, but I thought they had a lot of potential. I was confident they would make a Regional- and probably host- but couldn't guess how far they could go beyond that. By the time the season reached May, I was very disappointed and it got worse from there until the second dawg game. Since that game 2, the team has erased most of that disappointment for me and a lot of other Gator fans.

However, there were a number of posts that I felt showed a feeling of entitlement that was inappropriate. Just because we're Gator fans, we don't get to win everything and anyone who expresses that sort of attitude seems pretty stupid to me. They certainly annoy me. There are a number of fans here who have a lot of baseball knowledge that I generally respect and admire. I've learned from some of them along the way, but even they are capable of going too far in one criticism or another. Part of the beauty of baseball is that NO ONE knows why certain things happen or why they happen. (Maybe Yogi Berra knew what and why: it's possible to find and explanation for nearly anything in his quotes, similar to the way people can find support for completely contradictory points of view in Shakespeare or the bible.) I claim I'm a knowledgeable lay person who loves the game. I played a little organized baseball as a kid and coached kids until I saw I had nothing morer to teach them. I've attended Gator bsb games since my second senior year (of six) ans a UF student, a huge majority of home games since the early '80s, and since I retired, I attend most fall and preseason scrimmages. What I've learned most clearly is that there is a LOT I don't know, and at times, I try to keep my mouth shut so I don't demonstrate that ignorance.

My limit was passed this season on a number of posts about the team and especially coaches. I called out some of them and the latter part of this thread has done a better job than I did. Now, I'm a bit bugged at the number of posters who follow up by suggesting they were partly right or that they should be excused because they are loyal Gator fans. Anyone who pays for game tix or for a paid Gator website or even wears a Gator t-shirt can claim loyalty, that's not what I dispute. People who were called out for the worst posts weren't necessarily disloyal, but their posts earned the approbation they're receiving now. Criticism on the board is more or less anonymous and sometimes more stupid than some the stupid posts the criticism targets. Rather than feel pain or shame, I hope those posters feel a commitment to be more circumspect about implying that they have more knowledge, or entitlement, than they actually have. And if they're just plain stupid, try not to demonstrate it.

Edit 80 minutes later: FWIW If you want me to believe you're a truly loyal Gator baseball fan, tell me you're a monthly donor to baseball NIL.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 5
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    ^^^^^
    Excellent post Boss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    In order for a team to draft him high as a pitcher, they'll want to feel sure he'll succeed as a starter- relievers seldom generate top pics. As a position player and a hitter, he predicts as a success at 1B and even as an OF. Whoever gets him may evaluate whether to have him do some pitching, but he'll be drafted to bat.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I must have ADD (or I’m just lazy) but too long for me to want to read

10. gatorbreeder

gatorbreeder Junior

Jun 23, 2023
    Boy, has the attitude in here changed dramatically.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. gatorbreeder

gatorbreeder Junior

Jun 23, 2023

I think that unless he really works on his pitching and develops another nasty pitch or two to compliment that heater that he will likely never see the mound in the MLB.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    O K

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. gatorbreeder

gatorbreeder Junior

Jun 23, 2023
    No, no, it's not ok.

This has been a public service announcement.

14. SeniorLifter

SeniorLifter VIP Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Back to basics Coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. gatorranger7

Jun 8, 2007
    As I learned at CrossFit Level 1 training - "Mechanics, Consistency, Intensity" - always in that order,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Just curious what your thread title will be if UF wins the College World Series???

17. gatorranger7

Jun 8, 2007
    I wouldn't change a word of the thread title.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. orlgator

orlgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My God this is an awesome thread to stumble upon today. Made my day. All of the wisdom of the experts throwing dirt on the dead baseball team and pathetic coaches.

• Like Like x 2
  19. gatorbreeder

gatorbreeder Junior

Jun 23, 2023
    This is in fact on the coaches, OP is correct after all.

20. uf1998

uf1998 Senior

Aug 19, 2023
    Are you implying I should change the thread title? Why would I do that? What I posted was a fact. We underachieved in the regular season, just like we've played lights out in the postseason. As I said before, both can be true.