Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

This Fires Me Up!!!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Apr 4, 2024.

1. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Like I said, the 2 coaches in question were held in very high regard at the time of being hired. Raymond in particular was believed to be one of the best in the business.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    I was elated when we were able to hire Corey Raymond. But for whatever the reason(s) he did not live up to his reputation here. It’s not the first time a change of scenery did not work out for a coach or person in any field for that matter.
    Charlie Weis was another coach who came in with a lofty reputation only to under perform here. In his case I had some misgivings about his hire from the beginning. Don’t ask me why because it was not based on anything more than a vibe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Raymond is back at LSU. Perhaps he never really left their employ.

:ninja2:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    Wouldn’t that be a kick in the arse!

5. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Nobody is expecting a top 10 team this year. A winning record would be progress....that's how far the bar has been lowered. Napier has had the most resources out of ALL Florida coaches, ever. This is the lowest the bar has been in decades. It's time to show something and stop with the excuses.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We could have 5-6 top ten teams on our schedule. Do you expect to beat some of them if that’s the case.

7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

What an absurd statement. There is zero truth in what you post here

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    • More support staff than any other Head Football Coach at UF
    • More and better facilities than any other Head Football Coach at UF
    • More overall Coaching payroll than any other Head Football Coach at UF
    • More player perq's than any other Head Football Coach at UF
    Please tell me which coach had more resources to field and run a program at UF?

• Winner Winner x 3
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I was talking players, and CBN inherited likely the weakest 3-deep in UF history. Yes you’re right about facilities and staff, but players are resources too - like the most important resources, would you agree?

Also, payroll and facilities and perks are one of those “compared to what” kind of thing. Yes we have more now than ever before, but so does everybody else, and by all counts here, we were woefully behind our biggest SEC rivals when CBN came aboard. So, in the proper context, these resources you highlight really amounted to a relative deficit for Napier, not an advantage. To call it “the most resources we’ve ever had” out of context is disingenuous at best, but right in line with pretty much everything that ‘nawlins’ posts.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I think that may be hyperbole as well. Certainly the raw recruiting rankings suggest otherwise, although I do acknowledge the hindsight argument that they were inflated. I would argue at minimum Pell inherited no better a roster and I don't even want to go back further than that.

What I think we might be able to agree on is that the resource that was most lacking was stability since he came during an unprecedented time of turnover in college football. UF had difficulty in retaining talent that was here when Napier arrived for a wide array of reasons, many of which he probably was not be responsible for at all.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Napier, from day one, tried to hire the best but they had other obligations. The "best" don't just suddenly drop what they're doing to come to Gainesville, just to get paid less than they are currently getting either.

Getting the right coaching assistants is a hit and miss thing too. Some people think Napier can just wave a magic wand and force the best coaches to come here. It's a very tight market for the best coaches, but I think this new group of coaches are just what Napier and me have been waiting for.

It's nice that he seems to have the financial support from the top to compete for the best coaches out their. Better late than never.

So, for me, beating a dead horse is no longer cathartic anymore... We are who this year's team is. And I have to let this year play out to find that out.

Besides that.. being negative all the time sucks.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    Like being the tallest midget.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    I think 3 is likely, 5-6 is exceedingly unlikely IMO. FSU is going to take a step back. Miami is a slightly above .500 program in the ACC. LSU was UF + Jaydon Daniels & Malik Nabers, both of whom are gone. UK, no shot. Tenn, if Nico is a stud they have a chance, we thought the same thing with AR. aTm, I doubt it, this may be the least hyped they have been in the offseason in some time now. MS State, UCF, and Samford, no shot in hell.

That leaves Texas, Ole Miss, UGA. 2/3 is almost a guarantee, most likely all 3.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Pell also was winless in his first season. Then, as much as I liked him, and he was building a monster at Florida, he got us into major league trouble which led to fsu becoming a major power in football. So Pell followed an unmitigated disaster in Dickey's terrible recruiting while Napier has followed, "Wait till recruiting season's" disaster.

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Unlikely but very possible at the same time. It’s fairly likely that at least one more of those cracks the top 10 and not really a longshot for two more to make it. Hopefully there’s only the three and we beat all those other teams.

16. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    Out of context? He literally typed and you highlighted "most resources out of ALL Florida coaches." <-that is the context, that is the "compared to what." He has the biggest staff, the most money for said staff, the best facilities UF has ever had, best housing situation ever, and they just upped the recruiting budget to boot. This isn't even a subjective argument, he objectively has the most resources ever for a UF football coach.

And don't even start with NIL. All I hear on this board is Saban paying this and Kirby buying that, while UF was riding scooters. So, either that is complete BS or Napier has, comparatively, the most pay to play resources ever as well.

The talent was lacking, everyone with any sense agrees, but he has the most support a UF coach has ever had to fix that problem.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Highest assistant coaching salary. Brand new facilties. Highest recruiting budget. Please show me the absurdity.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    Unfortunately, NIL made much of this meaningless.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The highest coaching salaries are probably just a sign of the times because of inflation, because we are not near the top of college football and paying our coaches

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Exactly, player, payroll trumps all that crap today