Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The US Is Facing an 'Out of Control' STI Epidemic, Experts Warn

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Contra, Jun 5, 2024.

1. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Not directly addressed in the article and I may not want to know the answer but curiosity compels me to ask why.

2. thomadm

thomadm VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Relationship Between Multidrug-Resistant Enterobacterales and Obesity in Older Adults

There are studies out that show antibiotic resistance associated with Obesity. Same logic with COVID, your immunity is lessened with fatness, so it make sense that bacteria would take advantage. What I find interesting from the study is, direct quote: "obesity was independently associated with 1.92 times higher odds of gram-negative MDR bacteria on culture. The association of obesity and gram-negative MDR bacteria did not significantly vary by diabetes status."

So basically just being obese is associated with drug resistant bacteria, and since over 40% of the population is obese, we are living on borrowed time before these drugs will not work anymore.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Can we keep calling them STD's, for cripe's sake? Do half of all government employees have justifying their own existence with endless, stupid, meaningless acronym changes as their job description?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    These aren't the right questions

5. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    It's like when you sign a bill to erase the words climate change

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Is that a double entendre?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    And pray she doesn't catch you.

8. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Wtf… of course the problems of the world are premarital sex lol. Jfc… smdh.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Fun Fact: premarital sex isn’t a Biblical category.

10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I know plenty of folks that say he was exactly as advertised. Good guys are always subject to rumors.... Sadly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    IOW: "Why change my conclusions or opinions when I can just tweak my interpretation of certain facts so that my conclusion still works in my own mind?"

No matter how much you keep practicing, I don't think anyone issues gold medals for mental gymnastics.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    My understanding is that the most risky sex is men having sex with men and after that, heterosexual sex. Lesbian sex seems to be the least risky. Yet another example of men being most of the problem.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    I don't think the conclusion here is far off from what I was driving at in the OP. There are certainly dots to connect here. This idea that this is a "Move along, nothing to see here with respect to the consequences of our sexual ethics" type of conclusion is putting your head in the sand. This is a statement from one of the links I posted up thread:

Why is syphilis on the rise in the U.S. now?

The syphilis rates in the U.S. started going up in 2000 and have not stopped.

Initially, this increase was mainly among men who have sex with men. Today, we have parallel epidemics in two sexual networks: one in MSM, and one among heterosexuals, which has been linked to drug use. The rise of syphilis cases among women is now surpassing the rise among men.
    So, the idea that there is an epidemic among the male homosexual population is still a completely valid conclusion. It says this, and acknowledges this conclusion right there. What I was wrong about is how far back that epidemic in the homosexual male population goes. The length and the duration of the epidemic in the homosexual population goes back further than Obergefell. It predates Obergefell by 10-15 years. So, we are really dealing with a 24 year time horizon rather than a 10 year time horizon. This has been an epidemic in the homosexual population for longer than I originally thought, not shorter. And male homosexuals are still the group that is most disproportionately affected by this epidemic. So, per capita they contribute the most to the problem even with the recent explosion in syphilis cases in the heterosexual population and their drug use.

The connection between the S in STDs and STDs is still right there to be connected. There are just more dots to be connected in the life style choices of heterosexuals alongside the male homosexuals with respect to the number of sexual partners they have . All of these are sinful lifestyle choices. All of these things are preventable with different life style choices.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    That is what I read too.

15. Spurffel

Spurffel All American

Apr 9, 2007
    They didn't, and hence he was still 'technically' a virgin.

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So Timbow is from the Bill Clinton school of definition of sex.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Careful there doc! If we all did an honest cost/benefit analysis of our time spent on this board, the forum would be closed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I like the way you think!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    That was my point. I haven't seen much evidence on this board that new information ever makes you reconsider your conclusion. You are very good at shaving the corners of the square peg until you can fit it in your opinion's round hole.

You: "STDs are an epidemic, and gay men being allowed to marry is to blame."

Data shows that STD rates among homosexual males have been on the decline since gay marriage was protected via Obergfell.

You: "Ah, I see. Gay men being to blame for rising STD rates goes even beyond Obergfell. Clearly we should not have protected their sinful life choices."

20. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    You talkin' bout the sex or syphilis?