Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The target is on Target again ...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, May 24, 2023.

1. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    But you don’t gain intimate knowledge about a Historical subject matter because of the color of your skin. You gain the knowledge by research. You have to read the works of others. In the 1960s, if you wanted to write a book about the Tuskegee airmen, you would read other’s work and hopefully interview those heroes. You couldn’t just write a historical book on them simply because you have a ton of melanin. Your skin color is irrelevant.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I am suspicious of cheese with holes in it. Where did that cheese from the holes go? Freaky!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Write a book? Joe may not have that skill. But tell the story of Donkey football? No one more qualified. And if the history of Donkey football was of historical value to someone, Joe would have to be a primary source to help tell the story.

Again, I ask, who would be a better teacher of the history of football? A great teacher with no primary sources like coaches and players to talk to? Or an average teacher with access to any coach or player currently alive?

I'll take the latter. Experience is a great tool that cannot be replaced.

4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Lived experience matters. People have blind spots. Expertise also matters. Lived experience + expertise is a winning combination. Doesn't mean somebody who has expertise and no lived experience is incompetent or bad. It simply means they don't offer the same well-rounded perspective. I'm not sure why you'd think it absurd. You're not going to be as effective at drawing a line from the past to the present if you lack the lived experience. You're speaking in the abstract instead of from what you've lived and know.

If you're teaching Black history as rote memorization of a series of historical events, you're doing it wrong.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Hopeless. I think the problem here is that you have never read an actual history book. In our example, your ability to learn about donkey football is limited to Joe’s experience, and, if he happens to talk to any other living former Donkey coaches. That is a very small pool of resources, and Joe’s C- in women’s study will make for an interesting read. I assume the book will be paperback, probably printed on a Xerox copy machine and stapled….thus the Pulitzer committee will never get a chance to see it. What a shame.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I think I figured out the problem. When we are talking about “History” books, we don’t include the Highlights books you find at your kid’s dentist’s office. With that in mind, should we start a new thread and give you guys a do over?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Walmart lost 18B in 14 days. Hmm. Must be wokeism.

upload_2023-5-29_9-32-32.png

9. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    For those bad at math... Walmart stock was $153 and the company was worth $413B two weeks ago. After a fine earnings release their stock dropped to $394 so the company is now only worth $394B in market value, $18B less than two weeks ago. Poor unWoke Walmart.

Being not woke has cost them $8B since Target only lost $10B during that same time. Companies are responding everywhere by offering up woke merchandise and ads as a result of Walmart's $8B misstep. Disney investors dodged a bullet this month by releasing a woke Little Mermaid to huge release... they can only wonder how they would have responded to Walmarts financial mistake.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. altalias

altalias GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    I still don't have any idea why Target does these things. They don't have displays supporting or opposing abortion or any other divisive subject. You are alienating a lot of people when you take a stand no matter what the stand is. It doesn't matter how intense your feelings are you are hurting your business and business

As the great business man Michael Jordan famously said, "Republicans buy sneakers too".

Target isn't the pope. They are a retail outlet. They have no moral authority and shouldn't.
    Walmart is woke. They have a perfect ESG score.

According to what I read their drop was due to , "report(ing) worse-than-expected first-quarter earnings".

I'm not really an investor beyond mutual funds. You keep investing as if Republicans don't buy sneakers. I always encourage people to stick to their faith even when I don't share it.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    A lot of retailers and related companies I’ve been watching have been getting hammered in recent months. Probably signs of an ailing consumer.

Someone in one of these “anti woke” threads raised North Face as being added to the anti-woke boycott list, but that stock (parent co VF Corp) has been getting crushed all year already. There is literally nothing a boycott could do. At some point that is an attractive falling knife lol. At the very least, they do seem to have a nice portfolio of brands under their umbrella for such a cheap stock. I was looking at Newell-Rubbermaid for the same reason. I guess it’s a good thing I’ve been too lazy to dig deeper into their financials as I try to do before doing any stock buys, gave them more time to crash lol.

12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Wait.. .you think something other than being woke/not woke is affecting their stock price? Not to speak for them but from context clues the conservative base would disagree with that statement.

13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Not sure Target is really “taking a stand” here with this. That pride month stuff is pretty ubiquitous across corporate America, is it not? Seems like it’s been there at least a couple decades now, certainly the last 10 yrs. It’s basically just target partaking in what would normally be some corporate PR fluff to show they are welcoming to all customers. To display how much they care, they will sell them some commemorative rainbow merchandise and low COGS junk guaranteed for the landfill within 2 years. Yawn.

Most of the time I don’t think people would be talking much about this at all, except for the fact that a part of our right wing political spectrum has decided to “take a stand” against… rainbows. They must believe seeing rainbow tainted products has been scientifically proven to make kids gay, otherwise known as grooming.

A quick google search shows that Walmart does have similar merchandise and similarly right wing activists are trying to bring attention to it and boycott Wal-mart as well. Target probably gets more attention than Wal-mart because of their previous run-in with gender-neutral or family bathrooms (which the CEO was a bit outspoken about as I recall), and there is not much more to it than that.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    No, but it means that you have lousy taste in music :p. I mean, you'd have to be dissin' Bob Marley, calypso, ska, cumbia, soca, and guajira. Who doesn't love some Chucho Valdez?

15. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Who is this guy? Doesn’t matter.
    New guy shows up and shreds the libbies in like 3 days.
    Impressive.

16. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

17. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I just wish my dinky town HAD a Target. We only have a WalMart - oh, and 9 Family Dollars but I haven’t been in to one to know what their pride month displays look like.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
  18. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    So, gays should go back in the closet in other words? You are ok with them, as long as you don't have to see them, hear about them or in any way interact with them in a social way?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  19. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    You can usually tell how small a town is based on the ratio of Family Dollar/ Dollar General to grocery stores

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Why is serving an under served demographic "supporting" anything other than profits? You don't see all of the red, white and blue stuff around Memorial Day and the 4th of July? You do not see all of the pink stuff in October? What about the books, poems, shirts, etc...in February for black history month? I do. June is Pride month. This is a display selling to a demograhic same as Halloween, July 4th and Black History Month.

Target is in the business to make money, they take care of every holiday or specialty month to see above and beyond their baseline. What is go difficult to understand?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1