Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The spreading GOP destruction of public education

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, May 23, 2023.

1. jjgator55

jjgator55 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep. They don’t support you either but feel free to prove me wrong.

2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Everything you say here is captain obvious stuff. But you get if you are self selecting the students, and the test scores happened to be higher than avg based on that, it isn’t actually the school responsible for that performance? That is the issue at hand when “grading” public schools on the whole.

It’s also true that if you take 100 random kids from high income homes and put them in private school, and measure 100 similarly high income kids in public schools in the area and the outcomes are the same. Then in terms of pure bang for the buck, the private school was a waste. Some might still do it for family tradition or elite connections. Some because the public schools in an area are actuallyjust bad. Others still for the religious indoctrination aspect. But if we are judging the school itself and what the school accomplishes for the money, the inputs have to be factored in their performance. Being a special needs or alternative school teacher is the most thankless job.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    The advantage to private schools is very clear. Hanging out with other rich kids has big benefits in the future, when they take over daddy’s company :)

Much like Ivy League, the connections are what is priceless.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You’ve been hoodwinked or are just wanting to believe what you wish. Vouchers are a way of stealing money from schools. I don’t know if that’s conservative or not and don’t particularly care, but it’s been the GOP playbook.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Come on Phil…he signed Plan B and Plan C not allowing schools to reopen 100% in person. Plan A was denied to open the Fall 2020 school year by Cooper. Where is the “freedom”? :cool:

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    LOL!!!

You are the only one that has discussed Covid in your public education thread.

Glad you reported it. The mods must be laughing at the stupidity!

8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    citygator said:
    Wow. Dizzying intellectual argument. Thanks for the challenge.

Qgator

Considering you ignored where most look. Yeah…

***sorry but @citygator keeps trying to keep relevant discussion in a different thread***

*in regards to city wanting to use SAT score instead of where most people look for education rankings*

9. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    How much govt money is needed to change the minds, culture of the families who don’t care about education?
    Asking for a govt friend…

10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I blocked him. Hung in there all through Covid but the dude just had nothing truthful or meaningful to contribute. Pulled the plug today.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I’m done asking. Goodbye.

NC Covid response had nothing to do with the topic of vouchers and public education funding. I tried to engage Q in debate appropriately in the Covid thread because I don’t mind debating it, it just was not related to vouchers and public funding.

I don’t know why he wanted to keep messing up the topic, I suspect just to bother me.

I wish him good luck on the forum engaging with others but we won’t be seeing each others posts anymore.

City

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    So results of being reported for something the OP did but accused me of doing…

I get blocked by the OP.

SMH! Hope they unblock me and come actually engage why a Governor who led in a manner that we know was terrible for kids should not be listened to on Public Education.

Now because of the platform this thread (a thread I have engaged in) does not show on my too hot page. Please fix this GC.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Perhaps I should have said if public school were run like private schools they would go under.
    Since most kids are forced to go to the school they are zoned for they have no choice but to go there.
    If they or their parents had a choice and many of them left a crappy school they wouldn’t need to be open.

Your anti police stance is standard for you so it’s not a surprise.
    The comparison to the military is not applicable.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
  15. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Your communism couldn't be more transparent. "Take all of the wealthy parents' wealth and spread it around evenly." Communism in a nutshell.

Of course, there are wealthier and more successful parents behind private school kids. Wealthy families tend to spawn more successful children than non-wealthy families. Not always, but that is why wealthy families tend to remain wealthy over generations and poorer families remain poor by and large. A child has to work much harder to break that pattern if he/she is not from a family with means. (shout out to all kids from non-wealthy backgrounds who do this!! I bet you weren't waiting on the government to help improve your test scores either.)

In any case, none of this changes the fact that private school kids test better than public school kids. It will always be this way. The reason your communist manifesto doesn't fix this is that no matter how much wealth the government spreads, no matter how much money it spends, it will not be able to fix the deadbeat parents who don't spend 10 seconds in a school year to be involved with their children's learning. Those kids all get sent to your public schools. Stop the class warfare bullshit and explain to me how government is going to fix that problem. It can't. Private school kids do better, because their parents tend to be more directly involved with their educational development.

This is like a triple whammy for you, isn't it? First, you gotta admit that parents can make a difference in their children's education (ie it's not all the teacher). Second, you have to admit government can't fix a problem (deadbeat parents who dump their kids in public schools each day). Third, private (non-government ran) schools produce better results.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    It's like you're desperately scraping to find a win somewhere in this argument, but the simple fact is that private schools are generally safer and offer more choices for parents to educate their children. They perform higher than public schools. Why do you have to treat public school like it's a prison and force everybody to put their kids in public schools? If a parent pays school tax, they should receive a subsidy and choice. More competition in primary education is a good thing.

By the way, I am not anti-public school. There are some amazing public schools out there and thousands of amazing teachers as well. They deserve our gratitude. But I am for school choice too and parents should be allowed to dip into a system they pay into to find alternatives to public schooling if they so choose. Competition is a good thing....to capitalists.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    good god man. This isn’t hard. For any given person, they are likely to be just as successful or test just as well if they go to public school or private school. A kid with parents of $150,000 income will do just as well in public or private. It has been demonstrated multiple times. The basic point it is the parents support, help and encouragement that makes the difference not so much the school instruction.

I went to a year at a community college, 3 years at UF, then grad school at a higher ranked private school. The two hardest classes I ever took were engineering calculus 2 at community college, and a corporate tax course I took at FAU post degree to meet cpa requirements. I had some good courses at the grad school, but I had some courses that I pretty much did zero in and got a B. You get a B for showing up.

The reason you send kids to private school is you want your kids to get away from “the RIF raf”, or if it is an “elite” school that looks good for “elite” colleges.

At a couple of wealthiest areas in the DFW metroplex, the public schools are amazing. I don’t even know if they have private schools.

No idea where the communism comment comes from.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Another interesting angle to this is that you just assume you know better than all the wealthy parents who are sending their kids to private schools. These are generally very educated parents, who've been successful in their careers vis-a-vis their own ingenuity, intelligence and hard work....yet.... they aren't smart enough to figure out sending their kids to private school is a big waste of time. Or could it just be the envious communists who hate their money and success want to drag them back to the public dredges?

You're not going to convince me that you know better where to place kids in school than scores of doctors, lawyers, CEO's, engineers, business owners who send their kids to private schools. If it truly was more efficient to send their children to public schools, they would make this choice without your help. That is, after all, how they got to where they are. By maximizing their efficiencies and executing at the highest level. They don't need a commie-leaning message board hack to advise them where best to send their kids.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  19. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    They can send them where they want. I don’t care. I just don’t think my taxes should subsidize their private school.

You seem to completely miss the point though, that statistically, on average, for any given demographic, kids in public school test as well as private school. It’s just a fact.

Parents send kids to different schools for different reasons. But there is a phenomenon of self selection. If all the smartest kids go to a particular school, they will test higher. That may have nothing to do with what happens at the school.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    This is a good point. If you want equity, then you need to repair the nuclear family in America. The government plantation destroys the nuclear family. Feminism destroys the nuclear family. Encouraging children to question their gender and sexual orientation destroys the nuclear family. Purposefully diminishing the Judeo-Christian religion in the culture diminishes the nuclear family. Purposefully having the state undermine parental authority in schools diminishes the nuclear family. I couldn't think of a better set of policies to create inequity in American education than all of the above.

Of course, all the effects of the above policies and agendas will be attributed to nebulous -isms that are similar to The Force in Star Wars. These -isms are invisible forces present everywhere affecting everything that happens, and they supply the Sith-like oppressors with invisible powers to create societal inequities and invisible force fields of oppression. The work of team intersectionality is a lot like the work of the Jedi, which is to bring these invisible forces controlled by the Sith-like oppressors back into balance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1