Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The refs were terrible…

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 95Gator, Nov 25, 2023.

1. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    The collective group of this forum just clinched their sphincters ready to “bacon”.

(I’m making a different point, the refs were mediocre at best, being kind).

That’s all you guys always said or coaches, and players.

It’s all sometimes but obviously the spitting was bad but the PI call was garbage and the phantom offsides.

It literally (if not directly) makes these lowly paid refs money when they call BS.

It wasn’t bad enough to make a thread but to point out the longitudinal schizophrenic communication of this forum aka Gator Nation is funny.

Happy Holidays!

Enjoy yourselves!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    They have been all year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Allowing ACC refs at Florida Field should be get someone somewhere fired.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 8
  4. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2017
    THIS

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. rj_gator

rj_gator Junior

Sep 29, 2008
    Denver, CO
    We're not in a position to blame the refs for anything.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    United States
    I mean... our first TD came on a phantom unnecessary roughness call.

Edit: our only TD

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    THIS! Come on Gator fans, stop blaming the refs when things don’t go your way. Thats loser mentality! We were gifted a TD tonight, and our players made boneheaded plays that cost us, big time. I have no issues with the refs.

• Agree x 8
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
  8. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    And after that do you remember a penalty getting called on FSU the rest of the game other than the necessary delay of game penalties which are obvious. There were a multitude in FSU which never were called and while we may have done stupid things they did in fact call it. Out of bounds block where no one can see it and it is t shown meanwhile Ricky gets dinged in a fair catch that’s 30 yards. Standing over Trey after spiking him ..tossing our rb fifteen yards behind the los after the whistle..that’s big in a 2 point game. Those plays happened and WERENT CALLED..but the ones in us oh yeah they got those.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    I hate having ACC refs in the Swamp. It's BS. That said only 2 real bad calls in this one. The phantom PF that gave us a TD. And the late PI that should have been OPI on Coleman. Other than that it was about as fair as we could ask for. The game was there to be won.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There was no helmet to helmet on that "targeting" penalty...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. denny_crane

denny_crane All American

Apr 14, 2007
    Inexcusable regardless, but there's some smoke on the spitting penalty that they caught the retaliation. When it happened I thought it was stupid, but I didn't think it was done out of the blue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We need to go back to home field, home conference, refs again. All but one penalty after halftime was ticky-tacky at best, and overt homer-ism at worst.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    What, it doesn't have to be helmet to helmet. Targeting is a blow to the head, in this case the shoulder pad of 23 that snapped the QBs head back into the ground. It was an accurate call and unnecessary since the QB had started a foot first slide.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. Hill_Raiser

Hill_Raiser GC Legend

Oct 9, 2008
    I watched the Vandy-UT game…this game was officiated by Solomon himself in comparison. Phantom PI was terrible, but at least one of the neutral zones was 100% correct. Targeting call was correct, we got screwed by the SEC refs who overturned it last week .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  15. g8trdoc

g8trdoc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    How about our shitker?

16. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

Sep 3, 2023
    Huntsville, AL
    I hear this all the time, after every game, from every team’s fans, in every sport it seems. Everyone CAN’T be right.

Officials are probably better than they have ever been, they are better trained better organized and better compensated (which attracts better talent) than at any time in history. Having said that, they are also humans, exerting themselves running around at field level, trying to see everything at once in a fast moving environment and dealing with stress. They are a lot like police officers in that there are times when there is no way to satisfy everyone. Unfortunately for them they have sixty cameras pointed at them so that every commentator and fan can second guess them. Sounds like kind of a crappy job to me.

Are they perfect? No. Unfortunately they never will be and even with help from instant replay even the cameras don’t give a definitive answer. Recency bias makes it feel like they are against us at times but realistically I doubt that is the case.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. iwannaperfectseason

iwannaperfectseason All American

Dec 5, 2009
    The "catch" at the 1 yard line that hit the ground out of bounds should have been overturned. That was a 4 point swing right there. The phantom hold at the end of the half cost us a chip-shot field goal. 70 more penalty yards for us is worth 3 points for them. The fix was in.

How did they hoodwink Strickland to signing a new contract with ACC officials in the Swamp after the 2003 debacle? You would have thought Spurrier or Foley or someone on the staff would have clued him in to the crooked shenanigans of the ACC officials in past Swamp visits. SMH.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Agree and off topic and off topic but won’t tag the ones that are talking about what penalties we deserved or not.

I knew early game those little calls and even the “phantom UR” were preludes to what was coming, an if necessary (to show they don’t judge. Go watch a documentary, or the Swindle) all out assault on us if need be because of the stakes of REFsu losing and then when they called that PI that should have been if anything offensive, we were in no chance of winning that game. It was a close game where we had no chance and not JUST because of us.

There was sooo much holding not called on them. Easiest thing to not get caught not calling. But that PI. Brother. Never forget the Swindle.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    <and ones that are completely corrupt>

Proof of cheating happens and there are a ton of both of these and dui’s from Governors, sherrifs and mayors and cops. I’m pro cop so don’t go there. But in every culture people are curropt somewhere.

random one: **nsfw some language

^^^i could post dozens of the cheating stuff and 1000s on the authorities.

I mean I could literally sit here all day and put how a particular persons from a pertucular city from a particular team committed cheating atrocities, we don’t have to look far to see that. Just look around you. The biggest thing that will stop a man from cheating without using an excuse is to not get caught. Z
    Otherwise mo, the pitance college refs make nothing. No amount too small or else. Pete Rose etc, they didn’t need more. Greed my friend.

Sorry about sloppy editing.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
  20. jumbo11

jumbo11 Freshman

Jan 26, 2020
    The only helmet to helmet IG there was any were the two Gators colliding.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1