Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The MAGA cult explained

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WestCoastGator, Mar 7, 2024.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Literally every thread here during the Obama years was conservative posters disagreeing with Obama and also posting "but I guess that makes me racist." I think conservatives basically invented this idea and were the main ones calling themselves racist lol.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

The rural part is weird. They would seem to benefit from liberal policies.

The frustrating thing to me as a conservative, is how the Urban republicans seem to gravitate to him. Its a very strong (misleading) message they have been sold. They have been convinced to vote policy over decency.

I know amazing people who loathe Trump, but will still vote for him because he is a conservative.

Heck, I was once one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    I don't recall that many calling themselves racist. I do recall though that if you disagreed with Obama, your intentions for disagreeing were generally called into question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    It was a common rhetorical posture with some on here. To me it was almost like people saying "no offense, but." It reveals more about the person than anything, if you feel the need to say stuff like "I guess that makes me racist." You either have no good faith to begin with having a policy argument here or you are confessing something in a Freudian way.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I think the number of times people here complained about always being called racist far outnumbered the actual times it happened. The board was majority conservative and the criticism of Obama was constant. Death panels! Martial law! Brown shirts! Ceding sovereignty to the UN! Gun confiscation! He’s a Muslim! He’s not an American!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the number of times someone argued that the individual mandate was bad policy and was greeted with "I guess you hate blacks" was near 0. Did people question why conservatives got mad when Obama weighed in on Trayvon Martin? Of course.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jonathan Last making sense about MAGA

8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As is Karen Attiah

9. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    Different memories from different prospectives. The main thing I am refuting is though that the rise of "racism" is not to be blamed all on Trump as stated earlier. And I firmly believe the term has been used so loosely in the recent past that it just doesn't carry the weight it used to or as it should may be better way to say that.

10. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Bingo. MAGA uses cultural issues to cause rage and fear against liberals and “elites” so that policy issues that are proposed by Dems that would actually help rural communities are opposed. It wasn’t Hollywood that dumped oceans of opioids into W.Va, nor college professors who underfunded rural hospitals and declined Medicaid Extension that would have provided much needed health care to the rural poor, and it wasn’t those city folk who let rural roads rot nor drag queens who cut funding for rural schools resulting in poor performance and school consolidations. And it wasn’t the LGBQTs who aided agribusiness to drive out small family farmers.
    I see most of these symptoms in my very rural, very MAGA area.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    It’s a weird mix between the super rich, the fundamentalist Christians and the racist people who see the world changing and don’t like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Explain this:

US Navy Veteran Who Feds Say Rammed FBI Headquarters Had QAnon-Linked Online Presence

A former Navy submarine technician was arrested after law enforcement says he drove an SUV into the FBI headquarters near Atlanta on Monday afternoon. It is still unclear why the suspect, Ervin Lee Bolling, attempted to force entry into the headquarters, but research conducted by the nonpartisan public-interest nonprofit Advance Democracy and shared exclusively with WIRED has found that accounts believed to be associated with Bolling shared numerous conspiracy theories on social media platforms, including X and Facebook.

Around the same time, social media accounts seemingly associated with Bolling repeatedly boosted QAnon content and interacted with QAnon promoters, including by posting a link to a now-deleted QAnon-associated YouTube channel alongside the comment: “Release the Kraken”—in direct reference to Sidney Powell’s failed legal efforts to overturn the 2020 election results in Georgia.

On what’s believed to be Bolling’s Facebook account, there were various posts related to anti-vaccine memes as well.

The accounts also posted in support of former president Donald Trump. In December 2020, “I love you” was posted in response to a post on X from Trump that falsely claimed the election had been rigged by Democrats.

13. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I bet I didn't post in THFSG but 3 or 4 times before Trump got into politics. Most of my activity was confined to the Pub. When Trump first announced he was running I didn't care for him. It was all the accusations and yes FAKE news that surfaced from the liberal press that turned me into a Trump backer combined with I tended to like his politics, still didn't like his personality. I do give him a pass on a lot of the personality flaws because he has been on the defensive since day 1. Every time an accusation is thrown his way it is taken as gospel by the left and the media and he is forced to defend himself. Even things that he could possibly be guilty of are often overlooked when it is someone else involved but not him. If someone sitting next to him farts at the dinner table within minutes it is blamed on him and posted all over CNN, MSNBC the NYT and someone starts a thread on THFSG. Enough said!

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    So tell us, was it his health care plan, the tariffs, the extra few miles of border wall, the Covid disinformation, the firings of multiple inspectors general.... what was his politics that you liked?

15. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Poor picked on snowflake Trump. All of the dozens and dozens of awful things he has done are all fake.

16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed... they voted for a man incapable of NOT $h!tting in his pants in public.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    “I think one of the best names is — you know, I've really started this whole 'fake news' thing.” DJT

Per OP title, it’s fascinating how maga emulate what trump tells them.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    He just told you. The liberal press doesnt like him or his antics and that is good enough to be ok in his book.

19. higator85

higator85 All American

May 20, 2020
    Before my time. Who chased them off or was it just a case of them being spineless snowflakes?

20. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    This is what I just don't get. What conservative policies?