Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The MAGA cult explained

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WestCoastGator, Mar 7, 2024.

1. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Sit this one out, grammar challenged. I said Trumpers were racists from the sticks. I didn't say all people from the sticks are racist Trumpers.

Leave the thinking to the capable.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    Only because I worked and still work. Those things were put in place long before the type Democrat's of today came along. And no I am not yet collecting the little bit of social security I have paid in to for the last 50 years. I didn't need the medicare B either as I had group medical insurance. Of course I am sure Joe would say he was there and voted to start social security. I believe the clan and George Wallace were Democrats as well. Just about every Governor in the South was a Democrat like George Wallace and supported segregation at one time. John Wilks Booth was a Democrat. I think you can do your on research since you are going back to what the Democrats did in the 1930's when SS came about.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. GolphinGator

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    You really think well of yourself. I guess at least one person does. Big bad boy behind your keyboard.
    I can promise you all Trumpers or whatever you call them are not from rural areas. I don't try and count them and don't care. I have not been to a rally or spent time listening to people at them but have seen plenty of Trump signs at houses located in towns and cities I would not consider rural.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You are making stuff up. Why not just address what I said?

5. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    So what have Republicans done to help you? DeSantis' Anti-Woke bill?

Trump's $1.9 trillion deficit-funded top-bracket tax cuts?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  6. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "As you know, official resources of the House — including the House Chamber — may not be used for campaign political purposes," wrote Morelle. "However, as noted extensively in public reporting, Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) wore a hat with a political campaign slogan during the address. Appallingly, according to Ms. Greene herself, she was approached by the Sergeant at Arms who asked her to take the hat off because it violated the rules of decorum. She refused."
    MSN

7. GolphinGator

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    Can't defend them either. I think all of them have been screwing us for years and need to go. I don't see any hope with the two running right now, or the idiots they drag along with them. Or the idiots that drag them along, however it is. I was really hoping we would have a good choice and someone more in the middle. DeSantis looked good for a while and still looks better than a crack head but has gone to far right for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Fair question.
    • 6 million rural Americans are insured by Obamacare as are 34M more middle and lower income Americans.
    • Do you or rural Americans use infrastructure? The democrats just voted to update it in America with the support of about a dozen Pubs.
    • Do you know anyone who has used FMLA after giving birth?
    • You may not be using a college loan but millions are including rural Americans
    • Head start program disproportionately benefits rural America.
    • National school lunch act disproportionately benefits rural America
    • If you know any minorities in rural America their right to vote is protected by the voting rights act
    • The economy was saved by democrats in covid. We have the best economy in the world right now and our aggressive actions literally saved the world’s economies
    Guess who’s majority opposed every single one of those actions?

• Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  9. GolphinGator

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    I am sure those same people vote for whoever they think will take care of them the best. I am not one of those.
    I am not sure how rural you are speaking of but there is not and will not be much infrastructure in the area I live in for many years. Maybe someday fiber optic and good internet. But we will pay for that I am sure. The only thing available now is through the cell towers or satellite. The same for TV. No garbage pick up and no fire protection or police less than 20 minutes away. School bus ride is close to a hour. No grocery stores. All that is fine. We are not complaining and get by just fine. We still pay taxes like everyone else we just don't get all the services.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    I'll explain it for you.

The American right and all of the decent types they put on ballots since Nixon have been reamed by the press and backed into a corner, where they are accused of every hateful thing under the sun until it is reported as fact.

Take Ford, Reagan, Bush, Dole, Bush, even Romney. All called racists, accused of starving children, wanting to kill elderly people, working to spread AIDS, and engineering terrorist attacks. I think the Katrina mania where Bush wanted black people in New Orleans to die was the last straw.

If you watched the Dark Knight, there is an Alfred quote that sums it up well.

"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand."

If the right is the mob, Trump is their joker. He is no William F. Buckley. But that is what we have in Gotham now.

Given a second term, we will have to see if he lights all of the money on fire.

• Funny x 4
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
  11. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Don’t think that’s accurate

12. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Everyone gets called things by someone. Obama and Biden were called racists. Remember Obama’s death panels?
    But I’m curious. I’m not saying you’re wrong because I don’t know. But let’s look at the top of your list - when was Gerald Ford called a racist?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  13. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    So frustrating. You have zero rationale to support the Republican Party based on where you live. But get a bunch of wealthy republicans to slap on a flag pin and talk about apple pie and you line up no questions asked.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Wow, you are in the boonies, and I strongly suspect that's where you want to be, in which case I don't think you ought to be complaining about what government doesn't do for you. I can understand you wondering what you get for your taxes, but I bet you don't pay a helluva lot, and you get a lot more than you think.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So the cliff notes version is" look what you made us do". Wrong on so many levels.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  16. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Crack head? Who?

I think you answered it; you are for a reasonable, conservative, smaller government. But you don't realize that the Republicans are the party of big deficit spending and intruding upon citizens' rights. It's fascinating how they sell their BS story of being otherwise, and that people believe it.

Also, people like you don't recognize how many services, programs, or policies help them. Or, if not them, people they care for. I'd be willing to bet about anything that people dear to you only have health care because of the ACA. Yup, Obamacare.

17. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    Going off of memory from November….lost some details in the process.

What is clear is this. Eric Adams pissed Biden off:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/09/08/biden-eric-adams-migrants-new-york-gop/

Then the FBI started investigating corruption claims related to Eric Adams’ campaign:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/13/investigations-eric-adams-new-york-00126928

Kiss the ring of the king, or pay the consequences. Eric Adams knows that very well now.

• Like Like x 2
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    None of that stuff is federal purview anyway. Garbage pickup? Come on man.

I recall the dems pushing some broadband for rural areas as well as healthcare (not just ACA, but community hospitals). Republicans? Let them eat cake (or let them die, whateverz).

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. dave_the_thinker

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    The Cliffs notes version I would give is, "Nominating statesmen got us nowhere, let's try a lunatic for a change. The vitriol can't get worse than it is now."

MAGA people, please feel free to call me out if I am far off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. dave_the_thinker

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    When he opposed Swann, but point taken. Ford was more of an example of the beginning of a line of decency after Goldwater and Nixon - obviously he predated the AIDS epidemic.