Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The MAGA cult explained

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WestCoastGator, Mar 7, 2024.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I have to assume she was taking about something specific, like a neo-Nazi rally in the community. (Looked it up, apparantly some neo-Nazi’s wanted to build a “training ground” and the locals and state said “no thanks”.)

Even trying to give her that benefit of the doubt is only slightly less “xxxxing wow”, and shows why you should never ever go to bat for Nazi’s of any kind.

2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    Talk about spreading misinformation!!!

4. Gatoragman

Jan 4, 2008
    I really wasn't trying to be a smarta$$. I was just saying yes, a lot of gdp comes from cities but not going to do you much good if you don't have anything to eat that obviously mostly comes from rural. We can argue which is more important, but I would say both are and settle with that we need both rather than trying to diminish the importance one or the other.

5. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't know about confirmed as in someone has pulled down his pants and visually verified, but people that have worked with him have asserted that he does wear diapers and regularly soil himself.

(if you click through, they cited their sources, so you don't have to take some anonymous redditor's word for it)

The comic Noel Casler worked on Celebrity Apprentice for six seasons. Unlike his colleagues, Casler thwarted his nondisclosure agreement, enabling him to tell us the unvarnished truth about Trump:

He's [Trump] incontinent from all the speed, all the Adderall he does, the cocaine that he has done for decades. All that stuff has a laxative effect on your bowels and his are uncontrollable.

Casler said that Trump has been wearing 'diapers since probably the 90s'. Adding that they often had to stop the show in order for Trump to change his diaper, Casler said that Keith Schiller's job was to take Trump offset and wipe him down. "Our nickname for Keith was wet wipes."

Casler added that Trump does it and he almost sits there unaware of it, and one time he saw Ivanka have to kind of go whisper in his ear and then Keith came and took him offstage.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have finally figured out Trump and MAGA.

The perfect weapon. Trump's a Trisolaran creation, made by the Sophons to stop human progress and make humanity despondent about saving itself, feeling like it's not worth it.

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

All manned by a plethora of good ol' rural suthin' boys.

8. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Meh... Pretty much totally reflective of populations size. Thank God Cali is keeping us safe!!! All 10 states in top 10 service members are top 10 population states except Virginia. Virginia is not a top 10 population its 12. THe top 4 are in exact population order. Georgia and NC are a few spots higher in servicemen than populations and Penn and Illinois a few spots lower but the people serving America are.. get this.. Americans.

https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/files/cow/imce/costs/social/Troop Numbers By State_Costs of War_FINAL.pdf
    Servicement post 9/11 wars by state:"
    upload_2024-4-5_9-0-32.png

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Bringing it back to the original topic here

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2024/04/white-rural-rage-criticism/677967/

10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/04/05/white-rural-rage-myth-00150395

11. Gatoragman

Jan 4, 2008
    Is that based on numbers only or is that based as percent of population in each state?

12. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Just finished the book. The research that is, in turn, praised or criticized is largely not that of the authors. They use dozens of published studies to make their points over and over. It does make one admire the ability of Republicans to convince rural white voters to keep voting against their best interests.

13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    The Politico piece is by one of the scholars cited in the book

14. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    The author of the Politico piece has looked deeply into the issue and done the work. He is an expert, I am not. He calls the rural attitudes resentment and aggrieved - not of rage. OK. Some difference of degree there I guess. I live in such a place - small (1,630) mountain town 81% white, 5% AA, 70%+ trump voters and the last redoubt of Eric Rudolph. The Politico author is correct in that there is a deep sense of place but that also carries with it deep tribalism - they don’t like outsiders.
    And what he describes sounds more benign than my experiences. I once sat and listened to the owner of a barbershop here shortly after the 2020 election as he loudly pontificated for one and all about how he was going to get his AR-15 and start shooting Democrats and go out sitting on a pile of spent brass - I don’t think that was a result of poor messaging by Dems. In our little BLM march put together by HS students and where the Sheriff gave the keynote speech, heavily armed MAGA men lined the street just beyond the barricades (guns were prohibited for 2 hours in the parade route) as they were convinced Antifa was going to loot and pillage the town.
    A local business has signs asking Biden voters to go elsewhere and another that says Liberals not wanted and F your climate change. There is a guy who must live e near me because I see him regularly who took a can of spray paint and expressed his grievance in large red letters along the side of his truck: F (spelled out) Joe Biden. Maybe the Democrats just haven’t formulated the correct msg for theses guys. Also possible that other politicians use fear and anger to chase votes.

15. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    You cant fight with a percentage of people, you fight with people. However, whatever percentage variations exist they dont shake up where people are coming from much. Like I said, a few more from GA and NC and a few less in IL and PA but by and large in population order in the top 10 otherwise. The report I linked says the two biggest factors driving the percent of a state are: 1. number of bases 2. Poverty. Coast and south have most of the bases and the south has most of the poverty so, as a percentage the coast and south are higher, but again, it doesnt shake up where people come from that much.

16. Gatoragman

Jan 4, 2008
    No i agree with % doesn't fight anybody. I was just trying to compare if rural areas might put 1 in 100 into service vs populated areas that might put 2 in 10,000.

17. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

Think about it and post the answer if you like. I'll get to the point in a subsequent post.

18. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    People Who Jump to Conclusions Show Other Kinds of Thinking Errors | Scientific American

An article in Scientific American reports on a study on people who jump to conclusions and the connection to those who believe conspiracy theories. Psychologist David Dunning took part in the research.

"How much time do you spend doing research before you make a big decision? The answer for many of us, it turns out, is hardly any. Before buying a car, for instance, most people make two or fewer trips to a dealership. And when picking a doctor, many individuals simply use recommendations from friends and family rather than consulting medical professionals or sources such as health-care websites or articles on good physicians, according to an analysis published in the journal Health Services Research.

"We are not necessarily conserving our mental resources to spend them on even weightier decisions. One in five Americans spends more time planning their upcoming vacation than they do on their financial future. There are people who go over every detail exhaustively before making a choice, and it is certainly possible to overthink things. But a fair number of individuals are quick to jump to conclusions. Psychologists call this way of thinking a cognitive bias, a tendency toward a specific mental mistake. In this case, the error is making a call based on the sparsest of evidence."

Research has revealed quick judgments often indicate larger error-prone patterns in behavior and thinking. These patterns can cost, as people who make jumps in their reasoning will often choose to take chances where they have low chances of winning instead of making a choice where their chances are better.

Researchers found hasty judgments are often one part of "larger error-prone patterns in behavior and thinking." In a field of more than 600 people they examined decision making patterns using a thinking game borrowed from schizophrenia studies as jumping to conclusions is common among schizophrenics.

"In this game, players encountered someone who was fishing from one of two lakes: in one lake, most of the fish were red; in the other, most were gray. The fisher would catch one fish at a time and stop only when players thought they could say which lake was being fished. Some players had to see many fish before making a decision. Others—the jumpers—stopped after only one or two.

"We also asked participants questions to learn more about their thought patterns. We found that the fewer fish a player waited to see, the more errors that individual made in other types of beliefs, reasoning and decisions."

It was observed the ealier people jumped to their conclusion the more likely they were to believe conspiracy theories.

The study discusses two systems of thought - system 1 - "which reflects ideas that come to the mind easily, spontaneously and without effort," and system 2- "comprising conscious and effortful reasoning that is analytical, mindful and deliberate."
    Researchers determined that jumpers and nonjumpers were equally swayed by automatic (system 1) thoughts, but jumpers did not engage in controlled (system 2) reasoning to the same degree as nonjumpers.

The researchers determined jumpers were more likely to accept the conclusions they made before or without deliberative examination or questioning. A lack of system 2 thinking was also more broadly connected to problematic beliefs and faulty reasoning.

19. higator85

higator85 All American

May 20, 2020
    they don’t call him Shitstain for nothing. He’s filthy without the depends