Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The IRS plans to crack down on 1,600 millionaires to collect millions of dollars in back taxes

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8tas, Sep 8, 2023.

1. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Absolutely agree with your first paragraph .
    On so many fronts congress has let us the people down in an effort to move responsibility anywhere but on them. They are all cowards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    My personal view is that we have given too much power to certain members of Congress who are not qualified. They get elected based on vague ideas and moral platitudes. We need intelligence and actual skills that qualify them for the job. Can you learn on the job? NO! Not with my tax dollars. Learn first and bring to Congress a specialized skill set and then leave after 2 years. It’s a service to the Country, not a career.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thomadm

thomadm VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Evidence it's not corrupt? I work in the federal government, it's corrupt as shit. Every agency will justify anything for more funding.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    The Republican Party has been Grover Norquisted to believe the propaganda. It’s unfortunate they the IRS remit has gone so far as to reach into the minds of 501c3 applicants to determine tax exempt status. Just tax everyone heavy handed.

5. thomadm

thomadm VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    You do it through the Treasury and banks. Should be based on wealth and assests, not income. Income keeps lower and middle class people poor and the rich wealthy.

I would also impose a tarif on all good and services overseas. We are 30+ trillion in debt, and everyone has been spoiled living off the credit card as the global reserve currency. It's over folks, time to hit the gym.

6. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Where did I say that? You are making things up.
    I am not for over enforcement.

7. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    This is in your imagination. No one in their right mind offers up more tax money.
    You guys are not seeing straight. But I’m ok if you are willing to overpay on your own taxes. Good for you.
    If the govt knows about cheats and they’ve looked the other way until now?
    GTFO

8. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I know it would never happen. My logic is zero corporate tax rate puts our economy on fire. Corporations return home, money comes home. That mixed with no personal income tax puts way more money in people's pockets to make a VAT tax make sense.

9. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass

10. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    a wealth tax would be likely be unconstitutional. There is zero chance of a amendment. Look to June 2024 when SCOTUS rules on the constitutionality of Sec 965 and ascension of wealth. Will be telling. This would be highly unpopular with the IRS telling you what you are worth and fighting valuations.

I would disagree, but need to study the idea. Wouldn’t this just put us in a trade war and crater our economy? I don’t think we control a trade deficit well with retaliatory measures.

11. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    It is easier to get the 1,000 corporations to comply than 332,000,000 individuals.

the positive would be all people, legal, transient, asylum, illegals immigrants would pay at the cash register. But it also would lead to a black market alternative currency market (the mob or bartering) that is built to evade the register.

think about a CBDC being implemented and your freedoms being subjected even more than ever.

12. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I work for the government too and I would not paint such a broad brush

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    You’re asking for proof of a negative. That’s impossible. How about you provide proof that it’s corrupt?

14. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    @channingcrowderhungry
    The extra agents!!!!
    Come on dude. The Biden admin hired thousands of new agents!
    Jesus.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  15. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is such an extraordinarily stupid post. Please send me written evidence that you are not corrupt as shit. I want the evidence notarized and signed by at least a dozen people of nationally recognized standing with respect to ferreting out corruption. For your information, I was a lawyer in the Office of Chief Counsel to the IRS in D.C. for 4 and 1/2 years before I went into private practice, and I subsequently dealt with the IRS for 35 years on tax audits, appeals, litigation, private letter rulings, etc. Were some of the IRS people I dealt with incompetent? Absolutely, although there were not many of them. Were any of them that I dealt with corrupt? Not a single one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    I’m not in this argument… but I can’t think of a single govt run entity that isn’t corrupt in some level. The stinking animal services director in Alachua is corrupt. .. school boards have been corrupt… how much graft and under the table dealings have we seen in military spending? Personal favors being given out by police? hard to believe a major organization like the lrs, postal service, etc… isn’t corrupt on some level.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    About the Commission - Marine Mammal Commission

18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    agreed, and the system should become much simpler so that the tax code isn't used by politicians to reward friends and donors. But we will disagree that the agency is picking people to go after based on some arbitrary political bent

19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    cheating on taxes isn't a right or left thing, more those with a sense of entitlement than a political lenaing

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    That’s a new one to me.. and one I think is needed!
    But are you sure there is no corruption in that agency? No one taking bribes? No one passing inside info to others, etc.. I have no idea and I’d hope an agency with such lofty and noble goals would be pure as the driven snow… it just seems govt agencies track records are not that noble and pure.