Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The IRS Intimidates an American again....shocker under a

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorFanCF, Mar 27, 2023.

1. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Democrat President. From the Wall Street Journal: Opinion | The IRS Makes a Strange House Call on Matt Taibbi

Journalist testifies to Congress about Democrat weaponization of the government; and, Voila! an IRS agent visits his home the same day and leaves a note saying he must respond in four days regarding two separate years' tax returns. The IRS does not make house calls for a tax return.

Obama = Lois Lerner Biden = IRS paying unannounced visits to citizens in their homes.
    The Left cries "authoritarian" with Trump; but, the government becomes very adversarial to its citizenry every time a Democrat is in power. The power of projection.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  2. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Seems really bizarre. The irs doesn’t send people to your doorstep. I have no idea what to think.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I imagine they would if you're not answering their correspondence. But that's assuming this is actually legit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    WSJ unfortunately has gone down the crapper. As for Lois Lerner, she was going after entities that weren’t entitled to 501(c)(4) status.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2023
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  5. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The idea that the Biden administration, or somebody, would contact the irs to go visit his house due to him testifying in front of congress because of Twitter files just doesn’t seem plausible. I seriously doubt the irs cares anything about the Twitter files, nor does the Biden administration.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    I have been through multiple audits over the years. Over that same time probably hundreds of pages of correspondence. Never ever ever have I had an agent come to my house. If this is accurate it’s truly bizarre.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    I’m curious, how many people on TWFSG have actually had dealings - inquiries and audits - with the IRS over the last 30-49 years? If you have, what’s your impression as regards the caliber and quality of the service in general and its agents over the years?

8. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    100% of my interactions were made through 3rd party and I never met nor spoke with agent in person

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Thank you for trying to belittle the messenger when you cannot address the message.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I agree.

11. avgator2000

avgator2000 Senior

Feb 2, 2019
    Oswego, NY
    This guy payed him a visit, cool[​IMG]

12. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I have and has a good experience. I've found the agents to be helpful but they get bogged down by the bureaucracy.

Also, as it pertains to some people asking above, I haven't had an agent make a house call, but had one make a business call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The story really doesn’t seem credible. The WSJ editorial board, in their opinion peace, is running off a letter Jim Jordan sent to the IRS. It’s light on facts and big on speculation. Seems like Mr. Taibbi has an inflated sense of self-worth, that he’d be important enough to “silence” or intimidate. Considering his Twitter files were sort of misleading/disingenuous, it wouldn’t be surprising if the basis of this were also not as presented (I.e if this even turns out true at all, that he was already under IRS scrutiny).

What is interesting, is apparently this guy was educated and spent a ton of time in Russia. Another “Russia, Russia, Russia” guy. Perhaps, assuming the IRS actually paid him a visit at all, he has some international cash flows or there’s more threads to their investigation? The idea they are targeting him over Twitter files seems far fetched considering Twitter files fell flat and if they wanted to “silence” somebody over that nonsense it would be Elon Musk.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Me, I once got a prerecorded call from the IRS saying I had to pay my taxes in Walmart gift cards or face audit/prison. Tyranny! Where's my article?

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    That and as a general rule Matt Taibbi is full of shit.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I'm not sure if Taibbi has confirmed the details. He reportedly tweeted that he doesn't want to comment on the letter at this time. I would be surprised if the IRS showed up at his house to target him for his recent testimony, but maybe someone did so claiming to be IRS and wasn't. I can imagine several possibilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So, in order to "intimidate" Taibbi, the government, with all of this "weaponization", sent an IRS agent with a note, to call them?

And they did it knowing he wasn't home?

And the note said that two returns had been rejected? As in, likely the easiest possible fix for a government entity? Mine was rejected last year because I put down the wrong AGI from the previous year. A rejected return is a simple matter of records, assuming the returns are on the up and up. Taibbi says the IRS owes him money. Sounds like this should get that payment expedited, lucky him!

I'm not sure which truth would be more pathetic. The idea that D's concept of "weaponization" is sending an entry-level accountant to your empty home to drop off a form letter that is fixed about 100K a year at the very moment you're foaming at the mouth at Congress about being perpetually bullied, or the idea that R's are in fact terrified by it. And sadly, both of those dumbass ideas could be entirely true.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

I’ve dealt with an audit 2 times.

The first was over their belief that I didn’t spend as much on advertisement and expenses for a part time business I had started. I put all my profits in it because I had full time employment that I lived off of and wanted to build it up. I attended it myself. I provided them with all the necessary receipts. After the audit was finished they discovered my accountant had not included my December expenses and they owed me about 265 dollars rather than I owning them. The lady that did the audit got rather flustered and asked that I wait while she checks with her supervisor. When she came back she pretty much apologized then went on to tell me they would not accept some of my gas expenses because I didn’t have proper records which I did. That lowered the amount of my return 250 (mol) dollars. She said my return would be 15 (mol) instead. She asked me to sign off on it and I agreed. When I got back to work I called my accountant who told me I shouldn’t have signed and instead should have requested another audit through appeal, that they would have sent me the proper amount.

The second time Hartford who had my tax deferred comp money started giving me monthly payments as I requested. It was set up to be the same amount every month to avoid the 10% penalty for early withdrawal. Hartford coded the withdrawal incorrectly causing the IRS to rightfully ask that I pay the penalty. i called Hartford and asked them to correct it which they refused to do. i wrote a letter to the IRS and sent documentation explaining the error. I asked for an audit in person in the letter. The IRS agreed with me and mailed me a letter saying so. I saved the letter and still have it. lol

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    the proliferation of opinion pieces is the problem. most of their news articles are still well sourced.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    the message is an opinion that is not properly sourced. too many articles are taken as news when they are not, they are opinions based on hearsay

• Agree Agree x 3